Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 AM

Default Prefit barrels and crossing the border.

Many of us in Alberta live pretty close to the US border, and it seems there are many outdoor and shooting companies that have their HQ's pretty close by in MT.

I have crossed the US border quite a few times with rifles, it was always a simple process with some ATF paperwork filled out and filed ahead of time.

What I am wondering is how difficult is it to go pick up a Proof Research pre fit barrel? Order a new trigger to a mail box down there and then come back home. What about picking up a new rifle?

I'm not talking about anything sketchy. I'm talking about having any necessary paper work already done and declaring anything you purchase at the border.

Years ago I came back from a trip to Germany with a new Anschutz barrel, which was already installed on my rifle. Canadian customs didn't care, it wasn't a firearm didn't have a serial number. I am assuming it could still be that simple?
Old 04-12-2020, 08:19 AM

It's not that simple, barrels and some other firearms components still require an export permit to export them out of the USA. The permit is not cheap, and needs to be held by the exporter in the USA.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:27 AM

They need to be exported from the us and imported to Canada. Prophet river has an import service it’s 50$ + shipping last set was under 100$ all together.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Many of us in Alberta live pretty close to the US border, and it seems there are many outdoor and shooting companies that have their HQ's pretty close by in MT.

I have crossed the US border quite a few times with rifles, it was always a simple process with some ATF paperwork filled out and filed ahead of time.

What I am wondering is how difficult is it to go pick up a Proof Research pre fit barrel? Order a new trigger to a mail box down there and then come back home. What about picking up a new rifle?

I'm not talking about anything sketchy. I'm talking about having any necessary paper work already done and declaring anything you purchase at the border.

Years ago I came back from a trip to Germany with a new Anschutz barrel, which was already installed on my rifle. Canadian customs didn't care, it wasn't a firearm didn't have a serial number. I am assuming it could still be that simple?
Satisfying the legal requirements Stateside is your biggest nemesis.
Getting nailed South of the border as a non American pretty much sucks.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Satisfying the legal requirements Stateside is your biggest nemesis.
Getting nailed South of the border as a non American pretty much sucks.
Illegal migrants are given way better treatment.

Grizz
Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Can you say “ Rubber glove “?
Old 04-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Damn. I was hoping it would as simple as filing some paper work ahead of time and maybe going down for a quick trip to pick a few items up.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Damn. I was hoping it would as simple as filing some paper work ahead of time and maybe going down for a quick trip to pick a few items up.
Good luck even getting entry, nowadays.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-12-2020, 12:08 PM

Default States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Good luck even getting entry, nowadays.
And 14 days of quarantine when you get back.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:26 PM

Default Aka

smuggling
Old 04-12-2020, 02:02 PM

Prairiekid I sent you a PM in regards to getting your hands on a Proof barrel.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
And 14 days of quarantine when you get back.
And 14 days stateside should they actually allow you in the US, It would be a 28 day long day trip! Add two days travelling between quarantines and you got a month long day trip.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:52 PM

Things were suppose to get easier with the changes to ITAR. Which came into effect in March. I haven’t called to see what we can all buy, but I kind of doubt we can buy barrels. Sure would be nice though.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
They need to be exported from the us and imported to Canada. Prophet river has an import service it’s 50$ + shipping last set was under 100$ all together.

What kind of product can a person import thru them for the $50 fee ? Thks

RJ
Old 04-12-2020, 10:18 PM

I wasn’t talking about going until this whole pandemic is over and everything is closer to normal.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
AKA smuggling
That's laughable...

Lets face it - it's unreasonable to expect us to know American ITAR & Commerce/State laws regarding "export", or to expect us to NOT buy gun parts/accessories like we would with anything else when we go down to shop because we can't find it here or it's a lot cheaper even with conversion.

To the OP:

US export laws aside, one hurdle will be retailers not willing to ship to anywhere other than the billing address - or if your CC billing address is outside the USA.

Bringing a rifle down, and having it modified there is fine. But would be a lot of hassle for a barrel & trigger... Unless you're already goin' down there.

FWIW, Brownells will ship triggers here. Just make sure to select "AVAILABLE OUTSIDE USA" in the drop-down menu on the left side.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
That's laughable...

Lets face it - it's unreasonable to expect us to know American ITAR & Commerce/State laws regarding "export", or to expect us to NOT buy gun parts/accessories like we would with anything else when we go down to shop because we can't find it here or it's a lot cheaper even with conversion.

To the OP:

US export laws aside, one hurdle will be retailers not willing to ship to anywhere other than the billing address - or if your CC billing address is outside the USA.

Bringing a rifle down, and having it modified there is fine. But would be a lot of hassle for a barrel & trigger... Unless you're already goin' down there.

FWIW, Brownells will ship triggers here. Just make sure to select "AVAILABLE OUTSIDE USA" in the drop-down menu on the left side.
It's not only reasonable, but it's expected that when we visit another country, we should make an effort to learn the regulations that may effect us. As has been demonstrated in this thread, several people are aware of these regulations, if those people can make the effort to learn the regulations, then so can anyone else planning to visit the USA. But just like with our own firearms regulations, and hunting regulations, many people just can't be bothered to make the effort.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I wasn’t talking about going until this whole pandemic is over and everything is closer to normal.
So, in a year or two?

There are no absolutes
Old 04-13-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
What kind of product can a person import thru them for the $50 fee ? Thks

RJ
https://store.prophetriver.com/impor...ns-and-optics/

It’s on the chart best to email them it’s super easy but it can be a lengthy process (up to a few months to satisfy the Americans)