Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Newbie 10/22 Build

Hey all.

My son is inheriting my stock 10/22 so i decided it might be fun to "build" my own. Slowly gathering parts but not in a hurry, going to do it a little bit at a time so there is no suspicious activity on my credit card statement, if you get my meaning. Just to clarify, I'm not new to firearms, just new to building a 10/22.

I acquired a "10/22 barrel" that has been wrapped with a funky design....simply because it was cheap. I just bought a Dlask receiver which is beautiful.
Here's the issue.... the Dlask receiver inside dimensions is 0.669"-ish which i understand is fairly standard but the barrel shank (tenon) is measuring 0.699"-ish which i understand is not standard? Seems like a huge size difference to try and make it fit.

Anyone every seen a shank this size for a 10/22?
It looks like a 10/22 barrel to me but can't be sure unless I try to take off the wrap to see the stamp.
This leads me to asking.......anyone know the best way to take off this "wrap"?

Lastly, I am looking for opinions on barrels to put on it since this one I have likely won't work. I had my heart set on a bull barrel, mostly just for looks, no other reason, but the price tag on them has made me have second thoughts.
Any other feedback on the build from those with experience is more than welcome. Discount spare parts are always helpful too if you're selling.

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback and I apologize if this 10/22 topic has been beat to death in the past.

JR
Old 03-20-2020, 04:29 PM

I love Kidd triggers, I prefer a two stage with a straight blade. I run a tac-sol lightweight barrel on my gopher rig and love it.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:34 PM

Turn it down on a lathe ? It's not threaded.

Grizz
Old 03-21-2020, 07:19 AM

Th 10/22's are really great projects. My son and I enjoy working on ours. We are always changing something.

Have you checked out the Dlask carbon fiber barrels? They are pretty cool. The boy and I have them on our guns.
Dlask has decent pricing on regular barrels as well.

A lot of our parts came from Dlask, they are great to deal with. I have a kidd 20" stainless match barrel I bought from them that shoots really nice but it's just too heavy.

Good luck and have fun. Just when you think you are finished ... you will find something else to do LOL.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:33 AM
Shooting Xs

If you're going to do a build,best to get your wallet out.IMO if you're doing it off a Dlask receiver with used factory take off parts,you might as well buy factory.
Otherwise that rabbit hole isn't hard to drop a $1,000.00 down for after market quality parts.
Having said that 10-22's make fun projects with all the goodies available.Then you can start looking at how to make and install a pillar pedestal, bedding the receiver and barrel,etc,
Old 03-21-2020, 11:49 AM

I really like that carbon fiber barrel with the SBI stock. What length is it?

QUOTE=darren32;4131491]Th 10/22's are really great projects[/B]. My son and I enjoy working on ours. We are always changing something.

Have you checked out the Dlask carbon fiber barrels? They are pretty cool. The boy and I have them on our guns.
Dlask has decent pricing on regular barrels as well.

A lot of our parts came from Dlask, they are great to deal with. I have a kidd 20" stainless match barrel I bought from them that shoots really nice but it's just too heavy.

Good luck and have fun. Just when you think you are finished ... you will find something else to do LOL.

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-21-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo22 View Post
I really like that carbon fiber barrel with the SBI stock. What length is it?
That one is 12.5". The other one is 16.5" and they make an 18.5" as well.
You can also get them in stainless I believe.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:10 PM

I hear yah! Just went out today with the stock 10/22 and just had a blast so I think I am going to do it right the first time.

QUOTE=DLab;4131495]If you're going to do a build,best to get your wallet out.IMO if you're doing it off a Dlask receiver with used factory take off parts,you might as well buy factory.
Otherwise that rabbit hole isn't hard to drop a $1,000.00 down for after market quality parts.
Having said that 10-22's make fun projects with all the goodies available.Then you can start looking at how to make and install a pillar pedestal, bedding the receiver and barrel,etc,[/QUOTE]
Old 03-21-2020, 09:24 PM

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I have been looking long and hard for a stock that I like but there doesn't seem to be a great selection in Canada. Anyone have recommendations on their favorite stocks and where to get them?
Old 03-22-2020, 02:01 AM

err.

Last edited by SnipeHunter; 03-22-2020 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Wrong thread