Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2020, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Cheapest and easiest way to shave weight is on your waistline
Titanium is way more expensive
Cheapest ya, easiest no, but.... you can lose 5lbs in a week, that’s like not having to pack a rifle. The trick is losing 5lbs on your right shoulder!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Is this estimated or scaled?

My T3 lite in 7-08, c/w VX3i 4.5-14x40, Talleys, Limbsaver, sling and loaded mag is 8.06 lbs on my Starfrit digital scale...really not so light. A 260 is going to be a fraction heavier than a 7-08, all else being equal.
Yes scaled. No sling. Your scope weighs 23 oz. Z5 weighs 15.9oz.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Yes scaled. No sling. Your scope weighs 23 oz. Z5 weighs 15.9oz.
Leupold says 13 oz for my scope. (Vx3i CDs-25mm)

With Tikka pad, no sling, 3 rounds in mag my scale now says 7lbs 9 oz. I do have a paint job on my stock which may add 1-2 oz...
Old 03-12-2020, 07:07 AM

Ahhh looked up the wrong Leopold scope. T3 vs T3x weight difference?
Old 03-15-2020, 02:24 PM

On one side a Brno 21H in 7x57 at 7 lb to the other with a Ruger#1 safari 375 Ouch & Ouch at 10lb

sans scopes

Old 03-15-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse Cowboy View Post
On one side a Brno 21H in 7x57 at 7 lb to the other with a Ruger#1 safari 375 Ouch & Ouch at 10lb

sans scopes

375 Ouch & Ouch, that’s hilarious!!!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:00 PM

After years of carrying around a Ruger #1 that came close to 11lbs I dropped down to 8-9 lbs with a Browning X-bolt and Leupold VX3 in .30-06. No muzzle brake and still comfortable to shoot at the range. I wouldn't go heavier for long hikes in steep country personally.

To me weight should be selected along with cartridge and purpose. As others have stated as well you start spending a LOT of money to chase ounces at some point.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 PM

Although im no mountain hunter my rifle is a fairly lightweight setup.
Im shooting a Cooper 92 Backcountry in 7mm rem mag with a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44mm.
Without ammo it comes out to 6.92lbs. Thats with tally one piece rings/bases.
Now if only the rifle performed like Cooper promised it would lol
Old 03-16-2020, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Now if only the rifle performed like Cooper promised it would lol
That’s the trick with lightweight rifles, try to find one that shoots like its heavy friends. I think my Kimber Montana was the best bang for the buck in an ultra lightweight rifle.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That’s the trick with lightweight rifles, try to find one that shoots like its heavy friends. I think my Kimber Montana was the best bang for the buck in an ultra lightweight rifle.
It’s a myth that a heavier rifle is easier to shoot, once you own a lightweight rifle that’s balanced and fits you properly you’ll understand.

Your words

Last edited by MK2750; 03-17-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
It’s a myth that a heavier rifle is easier to shoot, once you own a lightweight rifle that’s balanced and fits you properly you’ll understand.
Ummm nope
A Heavier balanced rifle will always shoot easier than a lightweight balanced rifle
Everything is magnified with a lightweight rifle
Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Ummm nope
A Heavier balanced rifle will always shoot easier than a lightweight balanced rifle
Everything is magnified with a lightweight rifle
That what I posted was Kurt's insights from another thread.

My original post was;

"An argument could also be made that heavier rifles are easier to shoot because they kick less and hold steadier. Many people simply can not or do not like shooting light weight rifles. I would wager that 100 random hunters would shoot heavier wood rifles much better than light weight synthetic rifles."
Old 03-17-2020, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
That what I posted was Kurt's insights from another thread.

My original post was;

"An argument could also be made that heavier rifles are easier to shoot because they kick less and hold steadier. Many people simply can not or do not like shooting light weight rifles. I would wager that 100 random hunters would shoot heavier wood rifles much better than light weight synthetic rifles."
Sorry my bad lol
I’m with you 100%
Old 03-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Light vs heavy just involves some physics ... some of which the shooter has little control during the micro seconds of the big bang ... from the movement induced by the strike of the firing pin to the torque roll as the bullet engages the “twist” of the rifling. No mystery which “weight” will be affected less/more.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:48 AM

While I agree that in general lightweight guns are more difficult to shoot accurately for a long period on the bench, we have to remember these are hunting rifles. As long as it will put the first two rounds into a tight group that is all I need it to do and the 6 LB 3 ounce all in 308 Win by New Ultra Light Arms I have been using for years is very capable of doing that. I am more than confident on game out to 600 yards with this very light rifle and I don't think I am an exceptional shot. You guys are welcome to pack around 12 LBs of gun if you want, I will stick to my featherweight. That is the great thing about hunting, we each get to do it the way we prefer.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
While I agree that in general lightweight guns are more difficult to shoot accurately for a long period on the bench, we have to remember these are hunting rifles. As long as it will put the first two rounds into a tight group that is all I need it to do and the 6 LB 3 ounce all in 308 Win by New Ultra Light Arms I have been using for years is very capable of doing that. I am more than confident on game out to 600 yards with this very light rifle and I don't think I am an exceptional shot. You guys are welcome to pack around 12 LBs of gun if you want, I will stick to my featherweight. That is the great thing about hunting, we each get to do it the way we prefer.
If you can ethically shoot game to 600 yards with a 6 lb rifle you are in fact an exceptional shot and I would guess in the top 1% of shooters.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

Your words
Yes, my words. And what if them? I don’t agree with you or marky on this one because I’ve owned, and hunted with a 12lb rifle and a 6lb rifle. Hunting rifles have nothing to do with a bench.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you can ethically shoot game to 600 yards with a 6 lb rifle you are in fact an exceptional shot and I would guess in the top 1% of shooters.
Have you ever in your life owned a well balanced 6lb rifle, serious question. Or are you just regurgitating what you’ve been told by other people who haven’t owned one either?

I’ve owned the same rifle Dean is talking about, and several others for that matter. Some of which had awful balance, some were great.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Yes, my words. And what if them? I don’t agree with you or marky on this one because I’ve owned, and hunted with a 12lb rifle and a 6lb rifle. Hunting rifles have nothing to do with a bench.
It is the opposite of what you just said above. I too shoot a light weight rifle that is perfectly balanced and will put three into one hole from 100 yards. Most people do not and would be better serviced with a heavy rifle.

My statement from the last thread was;

An argument could also be made that heavier rifles are easier to shoot because they kick less and hold steadier. Many people simply can not or do not like shooting light weight rifles. I would wager that 100 random hunters would shoot heavier wood rifles much better than light weight synthetic rifles.

Your response was to try to make me look stupid by claiming I don't even understand the question;

Now on this thread you are basically saying the opposite;

Old 03-17-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
It is the opposite of what you just said above. I too shoot a light weight rifle that is perfectly balanced and will put three into one hole from 100 yards. Most people do not and would be better serviced with a heavy rifle.

My statement from the last thread was;

An argument could also be made that heavier rifles are easier to shoot because they kick less and hold steadier. Many people simply can not or do not like shooting light weight rifles. I would wager that 100 random hunters would shoot heavier wood rifles much better than light weight synthetic rifles.

Your response was to try to make me look stupid by claiming I don't even understand the question;

Now on this thread you are basically saying the opposite;

Maybe I am not fully following but personally I do not see anything at all inconsistent with the various quotes of Kurt505 that you have posted in your response. In all of them it pretty much comes across that he believes light rifles can be shot as good as heavier rifles and that the balance and fit are also key considerations. They are in heavies too but not quite as critical. What is it I am missing?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe I am not fully following but personally I do not see anything at all inconsistent with the various quotes of Kurt505 that you have posted in your response. In all of them it pretty much comes across that he believes light rifles can be shot as good as heavier rifles and that the balance and fit are also key considerations. They are in heavies too but not quite as critical. What is it I am missing?
Thank you Dean.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:31 AM

It is also possible to carry a mid- weight (9-11 lbs ) that is well balanced and fits correctly. It's all about the personal preference of the trigger operator.
Personally, all my BG hunting rifles are on the heavy side and I don't find that a handicap for the type of hunting I do.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
My original post was the the vast majority of people would be better served shooting a heavier rifle. Kirt claimed it was a myth that heavier rifles are easier to shoot. It is not.

While I agree that light weight rifles can shoot as good as most heavier rifles, I also know that if you took a hundred random hunters, the majority would shoot the heavier rifle better.

I shoot a light weight rifle, so you are preaching to the choir. I also know that most people would not shoot my rifle well.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Just put 50 rounds through a new 260 barrel on a Highwall.
26" barrel in a medium contour , scope is heavy with heavy steel rings but I will leave it on for now .
The rifles weighs in a 10.2 scoped but feels lighter .
Cat
Concerning balanced rifles , I changed out the scope last night on my High Wall.
I took off the heavier 30mm scope and installed a lighter , lower profiled scope with a 1" tube and slightly smaller objective lens.
This dropped the total wright from 10.2 pounds to 9.1 pounds but more importantly, the rifle handles far better as far as mounting to the shoulder , target acquisition , and physical balance all around
How it transfers into actual shooting goes, we will find out tomorrow!
Cat
Old 03-21-2020, 09:10 PM

I have my rifle weighted in at 5lbs 6oz. That’s with no bullets in it.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I have my rifle weighted in at 5lbs 6oz. That’s with no bullets in it.
Beauty. That’s a pound less then my rifle(s) and I bet it carries like a dream. Just going down to 6-1/2lb rifles was a treat compared to packing a porky one around. One day I’ll get serious and build a true ultralight.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Really? Hitting a 10” target at 600 yds with a 6lb rifle isn’t rocket science.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-22-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Maybe ethically and consistently killing Game animals at 600 yds is a form of rocket science. I'll go with MK2750 on this one.. 1%
Old 03-22-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
When I was right into rifles I use to hang out at the Rocky range. The vast majority left their targets and I liked to check them out.

50% of people shouldn't be shooting at 100 yards and 10 inch groups were more common than not. 200 yard targets were seldom hit with more than one or two holes and the 500 yard sheep target was pretty safe for weeks on end.

If you can't fire 3 shots into one ragget hole at 100 yards you have no right shooting beyond 300 yards. 99% of people can not and the targets at the range prove it. I would also add that the vast majority of hunting rifles will not shoot consistent ethical groups at 300 yards as set up and with the any box of cartridges available load development used.