Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Default Rifle Powder Lot # affecting accuracy??

Hi all. I recently found a load for my hunting rifle using RL25. It produces .6in groups at 100 yards. I loaded up some rounds for this year but ran out of powder after a few shells. Today I went out and bought more RL25 however the lot # is different. My concern is that there will be a difference in accuracy or zero. Does anyone know how much difference in zero or accuracy I could possibly expect using the same powder with a different lot #. Is there that much difference between lot #'s of the same powder. Do I really need to be as paranoid as I am. I plan on shooting them to see just havn't had time yet and may not find time between now and hunting season. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Not really, just aim for the chest

These days quality control is amazing. I would be really surprised if you see anything of a difference. However, just use a good scale and the powder charge should remain the same. Make sure you seat your bullets to the same depth, as this can hamper your accuracy.

Drewski
Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 PM

Default powder lot #

Changes between powder lots can happen, and from what I can gather the only way to know for sure and correct it is with a chronograph.Fire five or ten of your sweetheart loads through and record velocities as well as temp, humidity and wind, then try a few test loads with new batch of powder and check velocity and accuracy again in the same way.If you get a higher or lower reading and different accuracy between lots, you can CAREFULLY adjust your load back to that sweet spot.One note though, still respect the max loads in the manuals. Chronographs are actually not too expensive, I think mine was $150 or $160. It's a Shooting chrony and I can't imagine reloading without the benefit of one.Sometimes manuals are overly optimistic about the velocities of a load, though your barrel and chamber will certainly be slightly different than the test rifle used, thus a different pressure and velocity.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Lot #'s can make a difference, and a chronograph is your friend.