Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 07:21 PM

This post is exciting for me. I think it very interesting on how people think and like reading these threads. My plans are to have a caliber that is good for moose, elk, deer, antelope, sheep and maybe a black bear one day. I have a 22-250 for the varmints.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Judging by the perameters you outline above I wiuld pick a caliber in either .284, or .308 caliber because of the great range of bullet selection. 7mmRM or your name sake 7mmWSM would be my choice.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
for pure speed, have a 'smith grind up a 257STW...4000+fps
here is some readin' for y'all...
http://www.2joutfitters.com/STWrifle.htm
Now I have to add to my christmas wish list
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Since it is only the bullet that kills, you must first decide which dia. you want. Then figure out which bullets are constucted well enough for your needs. Look at the ballistics tables to determine what you feel is flat enough. This will narrow the choices down quite nicely to just a couple or three. I shoot a 7 stw, my son a 270 wsm. Either work very well. I shoot everything from moose to coyotes with my stw with great results. Personally if it's only one gun I think I'd pick 7mm or 30 cal. Likely lean towards a 300 wm or a 300 wsm. The ammo is easy to get for either should I be stuck without any reloads.

7 mm ultra mag is a bit flatter than the stw, the weatherby about the same. If you don't reload, find out which is your best option based on what is available over the counter. The big magnums have increased recoil, they do shoot a bit flatter. There always is a trade off.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolken View Post
Thanx Cal, I love my 270, really do,but the 30-06 I bought is a beauty, Tikka,T3,stainless,cammo, where my 270 is a Tikka too, but the 695 model.It seems i am looking for reasons to keep the 30-06 cause the 270 has never let me down.
I'd keep the 270 just because it's a 695.

I'd keep the 30-06 too,..well, because it's a 30-06...even if it is a T3....

do you really think a moose will know the difference between..say, a 160 Partition out of the 270 or a 165 Partition out of the 30-06?...it would have to be a very sensitive moose with a great knowledge of sectional density and energy.....moose aren't that smart....
Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned

for non-magnum calibers the .270 is awesome choice, it can handle moose just fine, is flat and its nice and easy on the shoulder for the performance it gives....only problem with the standard .270 is its boring....doesn't seem to have the flash of the new short fat super magnums etc.....

so there you go, if you want something that is easy to shoot well because of lesser recoil and muzzle blast etc. its hard to beat the standard .270...

my big cow moose at 200 yrds couldn't tell the difference, went right through her with 130 gr fusions and i hit rib, still the exit was the same size as the entrance (tough little bullets)....she went 50 yrds

i use the .270 lots on coyotes now too, a little heavy for them but not like going after them with a magnum, plenty tolerable still, you won't keep fur though, very versatile cartridge, holds its energy well to extended distances, mine still has over 1000 ft/lbs energy at 700 yrds
Old 10-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Default Shooting Information

Try www.chuckhawks.com

I've found a lot of articles on his site to be well written and informative.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Hardest hitting??????????????
at extreme distances there is a miriade of other calibers which will eclipse the 257Roy hands down.
I even think the flattest can be overshadowed by more than a couple calibers.
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking 7mm RUM, 300 RUM, 300/378 Roy.

Dont drink too much of the Kool Aid.
Dick, can you please mix me up some of that Cherry Kool Aide Please

Just Teasin of course. lots of good points to be made but first of course the definitions for the topic need to be made a bit more clearer...
Rob