Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 07:43 AM

So I have a question about 140 accubonds using 4350 powder. Does anybody have insite on what charge has worked best for them. I actually bought some sako accubond bullets as 140 and pulled the lead out and weighed the charge but it is only 141 grains of an unknown powder; according to Nosler the best load is supposed to be max charge of 46grains.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
This setup did not preform well on a cow moose the Brother in law shot 2 years ago. The 120 ballistic tips didn’t NOT hold together requiring 4 shots to put the moose down. Once the western shooting gallery was done we conducted the battle damage assessment and found jackets seperated from cores and core fragments we were quite disappointed in the performance. We switched to 140 gr Berger vldh and haven’t had any issues since. I would not recommend the nosler ballistic tips on anything other than CXP2 class game.
It performed exactly how it was supposed to. Ballistic tips and hornady sst are excellent deer bullets when you want rapid violent expansion. Especially at higher fps. Be the last bullet I would ever shoot at a moose or elk.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
It performed exactly how it was supposed to. Ballistic tips and hornady sst are excellent deer bullets when you want rapid violent expansion. Especially at higher fps. Be the last bullet I would ever shoot at a moose or elk.
Is it because the hide and tissue are denser for moose/elk?

Is the classic cup and core suitable for bigger animals?

We've never gone after anything bigger than deer so we are in the dark about these things. My son uses his 7-08 with Federal blue box ammo and we've got a pile of Barnes Vortex with the TSX bullets which we haven't even started on.

I assume the TSX bullets are better for bigger game?

Gonna be a while before we reload for hunting, we've got a pile of factory ammo and my son only took 2 shots last hunting season. He did get a deer on the last day, though.

Last edited by tranq78; 04-06-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Is it because the hide and tissue are denser for moose/elk?

Is the classic cup and core suitable for bigger animals?

We've never gone after anything bigger than deer so we are in the dark about these things. My son uses his 7-08 with Federal blue box ammo and we've got a pile of Barnes Vortex with the TSX bullets which we haven't even started on.

I assume the TSX bullets are better for bigger game?

Gonna be a while before we reload for hunting, we've got a pile of factory ammo and my son only took 2 shots last hunting season. He did get a deer on the last day, though.
It isn't whether the bullet is cup and core or not. Some cup and core are very tough in 7mm, like Partitions, Nosler Accubonds and Hornady Interbond 154s. Other Cup and Core are designed to expand more rapidly like the SST or Ballistic Tip ( which has the plastic tip to keep the point good in the mag and to aid in rapid expansion). You see this even in Mono bullets with some designed to open up faster than others. It is about picking the specific bullet for the application. So a 154 SST for a Deer specific but a 154 Spire Point Interbond or Partition if you want a very good bullet for Deer, Elk and Moose.

The TSX loads you have will work good on all three animals but they won't open up as violently on Deer as an SST or Ballistic Tip will.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestCop View Post
So I have a question about 140 accubonds using 4350 powder. Does anybody have insite on what charge has worked best for them. I actually bought some sako accubond bullets as 140 and pulled the lead out and weighed the charge but it is only 141 grains of an unknown powder; according to Nosler the best load is supposed to be max charge of 46grains.
The 41 grains is likley a faster burn powder than imr 4350, the faster the burn, the less you need to reach max pressure.

A 140gr 7mm08 load can use powders as fast as the 4985's all the way to the slower 4831's. I prefer the 4350 type burn rates in my 140 gr loads. Depending on the 140 gr bullet, even beyond 46 grains working up with a chronograph.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestCop View Post
Weighing factory charges are pointless since a great many factories load with canister grade powders not available to reloaders.

Go to Hodgdon’s website and check their data.
I’ve had good results using Varget, and IMR4064 with 139’s.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

There are no absolutes
Old 04-06-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It isn't whether the bullet is cup and core or not. Some cup and core are very tough in 7mm, like Partitions, Nosler Accubonds and Hornady Interbond 154s. Other Cup and Core are designed to expand more rapidly like the SST or Ballistic Tip ( which has the plastic tip to keep the point good in the mag and to aid in rapid expansion). You see this even in Mono bullets with some designed to open up faster than others. It is about picking the specific bullet for the application. So a 154 SST for a Deer specific but a 154 Spire Point Interbond or Partition if you want a very good bullet for Deer, Elk and Moose.

The TSX loads you have will work good on all three animals but they won't open up as violently on Deer as an SST or Ballistic Tip will.
Thanks for the info Dean!
Old 04-19-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Do you mean 154 Spire Point InterLOCK ?
Reason I ask is I‘ve just loaded up some initial test loads with that bullet for that purpose under the impression the interbond may have been too hard at 7mm-08 velocities (and long = lose powder capacity)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Hey guys, I picked up a Tikka in 7mm-08 yesterday to replace my wife's 6.5CM. It's a 22" barrel with a 1:9.5 twist.

Just curious what anyone else has had experience with or could recommend. I don't load anything in 7mm so I would be buying projectiles from scratch.

Shes not comfortable taking shots outside of 300yds so i'm not looking for a cartridge that will perform best long range.

I'm hoping to develop something lighter for deer and something heavier for moose and elk.

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

I found some ridiculous accuracy with Reloder 15, CCI 200, and 120gr NBT @3025-3040 fps from 22” barrel. In the process of loading it down a tad for a small twelve year old working on their Hunter Ed course

It’s discussed at length on all sorts of forums how that bullet jacket is thicker because of requests from the silhouette crowd (old boxes of 100 count are thin, current boxes of 50 ct have same jacket as 150gr, but since the top tapered portion is trimmed, the 120 is thick throughout). Many online accounts of use on bull elk but that’s not what I load it for.
For the lighter purpose you describe, it’s an option well worth considering. May be best to get a single bullet for all manner of game though and just get to know where that one shoots.
7mm-08 has an embarrassment of riches for bullet and powder selection! I say find one you like and giv’r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The 41 grains is likley a faster burn powder than imr 4350, the faster the burn, the less you need to reach max pressure.

A 140gr 7mm08 load can use powders as fast as the 4985's all the way to the slower 4831's. I prefer the 4350 type burn rates in my 140 gr loads. Depending on the 140 gr bullet, even beyond 46 grains working up with a chronograph.
45 gr of Win. 748 powder working fantastic in my Tikka with 140 Hornady bullet and 140 TTSX bullets.....FS
Old 04-28-2020, 11:48 AM

What sort of velocities is everyone achieving with their reloads?

I'm shooting a 22" barrel and using 46.0 grains of IMR-4350 with Accubonds and am getting just over 2600 fps which seems a tad slow to me?? Accuracy is good with this load, just wanting to squeeze a bit more velocity from my loads.