Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 05:23 AM

Default How Frequent Do You Clean Your Rifle Bore

I know there are many and varied opinions on this topic. Wondering what you who have bore scopes and can visually monitor your rifle bore think. I assume the quality and smoothness of the bore is significant factor.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:43 AM

I cleaned a couple of rifles a few days ago with over 300 rounds down the barrel each since last cleaning. I cleaned carbon out. That was it. Both barrels had zero copper in them. Both rifles were still shooting as well as ever. So why did I clean them? So I don’t feel like I have to clean them for a while. :-)

Another rifle had copper in the bore and about 75 rounds through it since last scrubbing. It was a cartridge that burns a lot more powder than the previous two. However, it was still shooting as well as ever out to 600 yards. But I cleaned it. I even gave it a few strokes of JB’s. The bore is dime bright again, and lightly oiled. Mainly I did this for piece of mind around corrosion resistance. Probably a non issue as it hasn’t been cleaned since September (although it has seen a couple of oiled patches down the bore) and was all I hunted with all fall. So sitting in a heated safe likely would not cause rust.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Banned

Is there enough humidity in Alberta to require oiling the bore in storage?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I've stored my guns in the basement (Edmonton) for fifteen years now, never have had rust issues. That being said, to be safe I run a oiled patch through them after most shooting sessions.
As to a thorough cleaning...we are at the range probably twice a month April-Oct. We are fairly frugal shooters, usually putting no more than 25-50 round through a session. We give the bores a good scrubbing twice a year and have never notices any accuracy falloff.
Handguns are different matter because they're so darned much fun to shoot...going through 100 rounds in a session is pretty easy, so they get cleaned more frequently.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:36 AM

It all depends.

1. Has accuracy started to fall off, or does the round count indicate that the drop off of accuracy is imminent.

2. Has the rifle been exposed to environmental conditions which would require immediate attention.

3. Am I about to re embark on some sort of load development or component change.

4. Am I bored, and looking to keep my idle hands busy.

5. It’s been so long since the rifle has seen a cleaning rod, I now feel guilty of neglect.

I’ll further make note, that there’s routine maintenance of a rifle bore, such as preventing corrosion, or removing foreign debris. And, cleaning a bore to remove fouling and deposits to maintain top accuracy.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-03-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I’m not oiling for storage. I’m oiling for use. But it’s pretty easy insurance

-Billy Molls
Old 04-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Thanks for your information guys, I appreciate information.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 PM

I used to clean religiously every year when season was over. Then not until the following year. But the 2 main rifles I have now, the bores are so darn good, I haven’t bothered. The one KS Arms barrel, could be de-fouled and clean with 2 wet patches and a 1/2 Dozen dry patches. Barrel quality helps IMO.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:59 PM

Depends. My handgun I tend to clean after every range session. Sometimes if I'm just using it to dispatch a wounded animal I won't clean it if there has only been a round or two down the pipe. Rifle is generally the same. Granted when I do a range day I tend to go through a couple hundred rounds of pistol and rifle. (not hunting rifles-AR style rifles). My shotgun I tend to clean more regularly because I end up shooting a fair amount of cracker shells and they are filthy! I tend to clean after shooting 4 of them and will clean the barrel unless I use more than 4 in one situation then I will clean once I'm finished.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I cleaned a couple of rifles a few days ago with over 300 rounds down the barrel each since last cleaning. I cleaned carbon out. That was it. Both barrels had zero copper in them. Both rifles were still shooting as well as ever. So why did I clean them? So I don’t feel like I have to clean them for a while. :-)

Another rifle had copper in the bore and about 75 rounds through it since last scrubbing. It was a cartridge that burns a lot more powder than the previous two. However, it was still shooting as well as ever out to 600 yards. But I cleaned it. I even gave it a few strokes of JB’s. The bore is dime bright again, and lightly oiled. Mainly I did this for piece of mind around corrosion resistance. Probably a non issue as it hasn’t been cleaned since September (although it has seen a couple of oiled patches down the bore) and was all I hunted with all fall. So sitting in a heated safe likely would not cause rust.
Question for you Chuck, using your bore scope do you see any appreciable difference in copper fouling between lead core bullets compared to Barns banded type bullets?
Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Question for you Chuck, using your bore scope do you see any appreciable difference in copper fouling between lead core bullets compared to Barns banded type bullets?
I’ve got some rounds loaded to test that theory today. If it quits snowing. From my observations, yes, a bit. But the problem is, I generally shoot one type of bullet in each barrel. But I’ll try and rectify that shortly. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 04-04-2020, 09:11 AM

My main hunting rifle might have 3 to 5 rounds a year through it on game and 4 or 5 to check the sights so I don't clean it unless I get it wet. I like hunting with a pre-fouled bore.

My target rifles that I shoot a lot get cleaned every 250 rounds for CF and every 1000 for Rimfire so they get cleaned pretty often. Center fire Gopher guns get cleaned every 1000 rounds unless the groups start to open up. I only had one 17 FB that needed to be cleaned every 500 rounds, the rest in 17 FB, 204 Ruger, 221 FB, 223, 22 H or 17 HH, seem to work fine with cleaning at 1000. I have never tried to go more than that between cleanings. The bore scope also tells me that Wipeout patchout version does a great job a getting out all the copper.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My main hunting rifle might have 3 to 5 rounds a year through it on game and 4 or 5 to check the sights so I don't clean it unless I get it wet. I like hunting with a pre-fouled bore.

My target rifles that I shoot a lot get cleaned every 250 rounds for CF and every 1000 for Rimfire so they get cleaned pretty often. Center fire Gopher guns get cleaned every 1000 rounds unless the groups start to open up. I only had one 17 FB that needed to be cleaned every 500 rounds, the rest in 17 FB, 204 Ruger, 221 FB, 223, 22 H or 17 HH, seem to work fine with cleaning at 1000. I have never tried to go more than that between cleanings. The bore scope also tells me that Wipeout patchout version does a great job a getting out all the copper.
Thanks for information based on experience.
Do you scrub with a brush or just use patches? I'am not familiar with Wipeout, can you tell me more about it.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Dean, I use both the patch out and the foam. Some days I think one works better than the other but I think that’s in my head. I will say this though, the patch out stays put better. The foam is less viscous and tends to run to the low spots.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-04-2020, 09:49 AM

I don't use brushes unless I get a real stubborn carbon ring. I use Butch's Bore shine or Hoppes and let it soak to get rid of the Carbon. Wipeout is a very common cleaner. P and D in Edmonton usually has it as do a number of other places. I use the non-foaming (there is a foaming version and a version they call patchout that is just a liquid you put on a patch and run into the bore), put it in the barrel, let it set a bit then patch out. Do this a few times till no more blue is coming out, if you use brass jags you may get a false positive in terms of blue.Then I put it in and let it sit overnight, then patch it out. Do not get it on the stock finish, it will lift a lot of oils, varnish and even some painted finishes but it does not hurt metal to leave it sit even for days.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:52 AM

with my hunting rifles, I start with a clean barrrel at the begining of the season and will wipe down the outside after every outing but I do not clean the bores untill after the seasonn is over unlless something really dramatic happens llike torrential rain or a canoe upset.
otherwise they get a dry patch pushed through and that is is it until the end of the season.

on my match rifles , I used to clean them after every match with Amzoil, and about every 1000 rounds with Wipeout.
I always spray in Amzoil or Mercury Quicksilver Power tune first, patch iit out, then spray the Wipeout in and leave it overnight, then patch out, I rarely use a brush anymore.

This past year I cleaned a barrel that was new , with 600 rounds fired without decoppering .
One Overnight soak with Wipeout, then another of 4 hours and it patched out completely clean.

Cat
Old 04-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Everytime!

After everytime I go to the range I clean my rifle’s...after every day Of hunting I at least clean the outside of my rifle.when hunting season is done the firearms I used that fall get a deep cleaning.In the spring time all my rifles get Howard’s feed and waxed on the wood stocks and G96’ed on the metal....drilled into me @ a young age and history still repeats.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:01 AM

I shoot mono’s in my two hunting rifles .243 and .270 . In my .243 I notice copper fouling and accuracy issues after 30-40 shots. My .270 isn’t as affected by copper fouling. I don’t shoot much through those two rifles but clean them after every season oil and store them away. My 22-250 sees light jacketed bullets I can’t actually remember the last time I cleaned it but still shoots great. Guess I’ll pull it out tonight with all the time on my hands now and give it a service.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
After everytime I go to the range I clean my rifle’s...after every day Of hunting I at least clean the outside of my rifle.when hunting season is done the firearms I used that fall get a deep cleaning.In the spring time all my rifles get Howard’s feed and waxed on the wood stocks and G96’ed on the metal....drilled into me @ a young age and history still repeats.
I agree that rifles should get wiped down after every outing. It is a good practice. I believe we are talking specifically about cleaning a bore specifically.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 04-04-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM

The toys get cleaned after about 300-400 rounds usually done in a few days for these, Hunting rifles after 20 or so as these will take a lifetime to reach a high round count,excluding sight in every year. But everyone gets oiled .Put a nice over under in a case after shooting clays in the rain and left it for a few days,lesson learned!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM

I now clean after 40 - 50 rounds (half that if I am shooting solids). At one time I cleaned after each outing regardless of the number of rounds fired (which I still believe is the best practice).
Old 04-04-2020, 11:33 AM

I do not have a bore scope and usually clean my rifles when the accuracy goes down .
Out of my experience mono bullets requires cleaning more often then cap and core .I'll agree with GMX that 30-40 rounds is about time to clean the barrel after using them.
I have couple of rifles that are used mostly for a range shooting and sometimes for hunting that I use moly coated bullets and treat the barrel with a paste and those will see 150-200 rounds before the cleaning.
With a regular cap and core bullets its around 60-100 rounds ,depending on the condition of the barrel. Newer barrel will last longer then the older one.
If its raining I would put a dry patch through the barrel after every day in the field.

S12
Old 04-04-2020, 11:59 AM

As I noted, am not familiar with Wipeout but have used KG 12 for many years.
This product was developed to clean copper fouling from large bore military weapons. One advantage of KG 12, is that it is ammonia free, will not etch any other metal and requires no neutralizing. From those of you who have used Wipeout, it appears to be a good product as well. Is Wipeout ammonia based?
Old 04-04-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
As I noted, am not familiar with Wipeout but have used KG 12 for many years.
This product was developed to clean copper fouling from large bore military weapons. One advantage of KG 12, is that it is ammonia free, will not etch any other metal and requires no neutralizing. From those of you who have used Wipeout, it appears to be a good product as well. Is Wipeout ammonia based?
No it is not.
Cat
Old 04-04-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
So the short answer is yes. My TSX loads are showing more copper. However, not in any significant degree. In fact, my Hoppes carbon soak cleaned 90% of the copper out. So it wasn’t much.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-04-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
I do not have a bore scope and usually clean my rifles when the accuracy goes down .
Out of my experience mono bullets requires cleaning more often then cap and core .I'll agree with GMX that 30-40 rounds is about time to clean the barrel after using them.
I have couple of rifles that are used mostly for a range shooting and sometimes for hunting that I use moly coated bullets and treat the barrel with a paste and those will see 150-200 rounds before the cleaning.
With a regular cap and core bullets its around 60-100 rounds ,depending on the condition of the barrel. Newer barrel will last longer then the older one.
If its raining I would put a dry patch through the barrel after every day in the field.

S12
If you are flip flopping between monolithic bullets and conventional cup core bullets, you should remove the copper fouling between switches of bullet style.
Especially if you wish to run monolithic bullets after firing conventional cup and core bullets.
The reason being the gilding metal used in cup and core bullets is far harder than what the monolithic bullets are made from. So in essence the monolithic’s riding on the different composition metal actually have more of their softer copper stripped off and hence seem to foul faster.

As a matter of fact any time I change up which bullet I’m going to shoot, I’ll do a deep clean and remove all fouling including the copper fouling.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-04-2020, 06:26 PM

After you cleaning your barrel, how many rounds need to be put down the barrel before getting best accuracy?
Old 04-04-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No it is not.
Cat
What part of my post are you disagreeing with?
I simply quoted what is written on the container.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
He isn't disagreeing with anything. You asked if it was ammonia based, he correctly told you it is not.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
My apologies if I misunderstood , I thought you were asking if Wipeout is ammonia based.
Cat