Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-19-2020, 01:20 AM

Default First 308

Well sold one gun to buy another and ended up with my first rifle in 308. Got a Bergara B14 Ridge with the heavier barrel and threaded muzzle. Main reason I went with the bergara was the threaded barrel as I am going to run a suppressor on it for hunting. I have a hodge podge of ammo but will end up reloading. I have everything I need but the bullet. I am figuring on a 165-168gr for an all around pig deer antelope and elk round. I have been using accubonds and was open to using that again but a buddy suggested Barnes TSX. I also wouldn’t be opposed to Interbonds if I could find them. This will be a sort of one gun for it all here in Montana. Using a solid copper like TSX Has anyone noticed a benefit? Kinda have it narrowed down to these 3 with the TSX and Accubonds at the top.(finding Interbonds in a 308 is next to impossible where I am) ranges will not be over 350-400 yards on an animal.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well sold one gun to buy another and ended up with my first rifle in 308. Got a Bergara B14 Ridge with the heavier barrel and threaded muzzle. Main reason I went with the bergara was the threaded barrel as I am going to run a suppressor on it for hunting. I have a hodge podge of ammo but will end up reloading. I have everything I need but the bullet. I am figuring on a 165-168gr for an all around pig deer antelope and elk round. I have been using accubonds and was open to using that again but a buddy suggested Barnes TSX. I also wouldn’t be opposed to Interbonds if I could find them. This will be a sort of one gun for it all here in Montana. Using a solid copper like TSX Has anyone noticed a benefit? Kinda have it narrowed down to these 3 with the TSX and Accubonds at the top.(finding Interbonds in a 308 is next to impossible where I am) ranges will not be over 350-400 yards on an animal.
I have been using a 308 as my primary hunting rifle for the last 15 years. Moose, elk, deer and bear. Two favourite loads are 130 grain tsx
barnes at 3150 fps and the 150 grain Hornady Interlocks at 3000 fps, WW BRASS,CCI 250 primers and IMR 4895 powder. Both bullets are very accurate to 600 yards and either kill any game we have very efficiently. I have a number of magnums but I really like the NULA for a hunting rifle and I certainly don't find the 308 any kind of a handicap. Anything with more power would be no fun in a 6 lb. 3 ounce gun, including scope and sling. .
Old 03-19-2020, 06:53 AM

I use a 308 as my main rifle as well. Accubonds(150-165) interlocks (165)partitions ( 165) Barnes ( 130-150) and Etips(168) all shot well and all have killed game. Both your choices are solid pick the one that shoots the best and is easiest on the wallet. Fill your freezer
Old 03-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Banned

I used the 165 and 168 grain TTSX, not the TSX, and was very happy with the results. I am also using the Sierra Game Kings in 165 and I am happy with them as well, probably more so with the TTSX's accuracy wise, but that is kind of comparing apple's to oranges as it is two different rifles and not shooting both bullets out of both rifles.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:47 AM
Banned

I'm curious, are suppressors now legal?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I'm curious, are suppressors now legal?
they are in Montana...that's where he lives.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Banned

I wish... sigh..
Old 03-19-2020, 08:20 AM

I have loaded a ton of 308 ammo in the past for myself and others and still shoot three .
There was never an issue killing animals or shooting X's and V Bulls with the 308 when it is loaded with 165 grain Game Kings , Match Kings, 155 grain Lspua Scenars or Barnes, Hornadys, Speers or any other popular bullet for that matter .
Drop a 150-165 grain bullet on top of danged near any powder rated for the 308 and go kill stuff!
My favorite powder is Varget but I could had 4064, 3031 or any others with absolutely no issue .
The 308 is super simple to load for .
Cat
Old 03-19-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have loaded a ton of 308 ammo in the past for myself and others and still shoot three .
There was never an issue killing animals or shooting X's and V Bulls with the 308 when it is loaded with 165 grain Game Kings , Match Kings, 155 grain Lspua Scenars or Barnes, Hornadys, Speers or any other popular bullet for that matter .
Drop a 150-165 grain bullet on top of danged near any powder rated for the 308 and go kill stuff!
My favorite powder is Varget but I could had 4064, 3031 or any others with absolutely no issue .
The 308 is super simple to load for .
Cat
I’m sitting on a pound of 4064 from when I used to reload for another rifle. That and probably 1800 rem 9-1/2 primers from back in the day when if you found primers you bought whatever was there. Glad to know it’s not picky! I’ll try and get a picture of the rifle and can up today.... still gotta find bases so the scope won’t be on but it’s a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 with a B&C reticle. Not too crazy about the reticle and wish I would have gone for the CDS but what the hey it’s paid for and not sitting on anything right now.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Banned

For powder I have had great luck with IMR4166. It’s a temperature stable powder. My best loads have been with 4895 but I switched because of the temperature stability. Is it a huge change? I honestly do t know, but every little bit....
Old 03-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I wish... sigh..
I’ve been waiting for 2 years to get this set up! Now just for bases and warm weather to clear out my range!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8631F75F-9189-4677-BD23-C4F31566B811.jpg (81.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 02:37 PM

Very nice rifle Ford truckin! Little jealous about the suppressor
Old 03-19-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Very nice rifle Ford truckin! Little jealous about the suppressor
I have 2 the 30 cal and one for a 22. I may buy a dedicated 556 one for my AR if I decide I want another one. They are quite a useful accessory and honestly the rifle doesn’t point much different with it hanging on the front. I figure once I put a scope on it will balance itself out nicely! So sad people are totally ignorant about them from watching too many spy movies...
Old 03-19-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I have 2 the 30 cal and one for a 22. I may buy a dedicated 556 one for my AR if I decide I want another one. They are quite a useful accessory and honestly the rifle doesn’t point much different with it hanging on the front. I figure once I put a scope on it will balance itself out nicely! So sad people are totally ignorant about them from watching too many spy movies...
Yeah but what can you expect with today’s mentality.

What’s the average cost of a can anyways? I never look into prices for them, well because Canada. But I know if I could own one, I’d have one for my ar platform definitely. Maybe one on an all around rig like your .308 you’re building.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Yeah but what can you expect with today’s mentality.

What’s the average cost of a can anyways? I never look into prices for them, well because Canada. But I know if I could own one, I’d have one for my ar platform definitely. Maybe one on an all around rig like your .308 you’re building.
Cost depends on caliber, the material it’s made out of and if it’s full auto rated etc.. a buddy just bought one for a 556 and paid less than 400$ so 600 with tax stamp. My Omega is a titanium full auto rated up to 300 win mag and I paid $745 if I recall. I bought both mine at the same time and it was $1145 for both. Of course then $400 worth of tax stamps. I have a good friend who does a Form 1 and builds his own as opposed to the Form 4 transfer. To build your own it cost him around $600 plus the tax stamp and his approval took 29 days or something like that. Mine took 285 days....
Old 03-20-2020, 12:35 AM

50.0gr of Varget under a 130gr TTSX at 3100fps works very well on deer. im sure it would do the same with a moose or elk to 400yds.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:22 AM

Hay ya ford trucking, are you going to build a sub sonic hunting load for your rifle. Leigh defence build sum good hunting bullets for this 220 gr, and I had sum resanable results with the 220 gr round nose hornardy, loaded backwards flat base out,
The Leigh controlled expansion are far superior, but kinda expensive.
I've sot a few Red's with them, drive bullet threw both shoulders, and sharpen the knife.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:49 AM

At 308win velocities, I like the Accubond. I do like the TTSX, but only at fairly high velocities.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:16 AM

I never had much desire for a 308, but if I did I would get it in the Win 100.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:11 PM

Dang it fordtruckin, coming here rubbing in the fact you can use suppressors!!! Nice setup by the way!

I prefer Varget for my bolt 308, I get good velocities, great temp stability and awesome accuracy. I mostly use Hornady 150 grain SST’s. My 20” barrelled bolt 308 spits them out at 2880fps with a charge of 47 grains of varget. I’ve shot more 1.5” groups (3 shot) at 320 yards with that combo than I can count. I’ve also shot it out to 1000 just for fun, pretty consistent hits, considering my setup (hunting rifle, 3-9 scope, not setup for long range at all).

I have considered switching to accubonds though. I find the SST tends to explode when it contacts bone at high velocity (furthest I’ve shot a deer is 140 yards, most are 30ish yards). I have however not had a deer take a step after being hit, can’t complain too much, sometimes the lead and copper can really spread though.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Hay ya ford trucking, are you going to build a sub sonic hunting load for your rifle. Leigh defence build sum good hunting bullets for this 220 gr, and I had sum resanable results with the 220 gr round nose hornardy, loaded backwards flat base out,
The Leigh controlled expansion are far superior, but kinda expensive.
I've sot a few Red's with them, drive bullet threw both shoulders, and sharpen the knife.
I never thought about going subsonic with this rifle. I just finished building a 300blk AR that I will use for 30 cal suppressed needs. This 308 s for hunting and some target shooting.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:19 AM
Banned

I would stick with Accubonds. I’ve tried using the Barnes bullets and I usually have to shoot more then once to kill anything. Accubonds are a way more dependable.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
I would stick with Accubonds. I’ve tried using the Barnes bullets and I usually have to shoot more then once to kill anything. Accubonds are a way more dependable.
Good to know as I’ve never used Barnes.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
That is interesting , I have heard the exact opposite from people that shoot Barnes bullets!
I have shot a grand total on two animals with Barnes and have seen 6 shot with them so hardly a good sampling but all were one shot kills .
Cat
Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 AM
Banned

I've had good luck with Barnes and Sierra. Never tried Berger. Ive had good luck with Hornady as well. I'm no bullet god, and don't even come close to it.
The longest shot was wide open prairie, using my 308 and a 165g Barnes TTSX. 349 yards in the range finder, squeeze the trigger, deer dropped. One long and heart, didn't touch bone, not even rib, so we never did recover the bullet, but it did exactly what it was supposed to do.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That is interesting , I have heard the exact opposite from people that shoot Barnes bullets!
I have shot a grand total on two animals with Barnes and have seen 6 shot with them so hardly a good sampling but all were one shot kills .
Cat
Honestly, I have quit responding to people that says things like "With Barnes you have to shoot them twice". There is always someone who has something bad to say, you can even find people who say Nosler Partition bullets don't work well. I have been shooting Hornady bullets for 50 years and Barnes for 35. Which make I use has more to do with the cartridge, 45-70 is Hornady, 308 and 375 is Barnes etc. than the animal, but only very rarely have I ever had to fire a second shot with either make of bullets. Anyone that regularly needs two to put an animal down aren't hitting them right.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
And yet I don't seem to have that problem. I have been using the TSX, and then the TTSX, since they came out, as the go to bullet in my 7mmSTW, and the typical situation has been one shot kills.