Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Default Glass gun cabinets .

So our family has a large glass gun case cabinet that holds around 20 riffles .
The front glass has a lock on it .
Are these still legal to be used along with trigger locks on each riffle.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Because the doors are glass, and are easily broken, they aren't considered to be the same as locked containers or safes. But if you use the alternate legal options, such as trigger locks or cables, or removing the bolts, they are legal for storing non restricted firearms.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearm...aying-firearms

For restricted firearms, the cabinet would also have to be in a locked room, that is difficult to break into..

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-29-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:00 PM

Yes. Short answer.
Longer answer would be, that case isn't going to stop a thief from smashing the glass or the wood, I'm assuming the cabinet is made out of wood, taking all the fire arms and opening the locks in the comfort of his or her home. They look nice those cases, will say that, but won't stop some one. But yes legal. I have a few rifles etc with trigger locks I keep on hooks on the wall and last time rcmp were at my house, they barely glanced at them other then to see they were locked. Didn't even ask for my p.a.l but I do keep my nice stuff locked in a safe that's bolted to concrete floor.
Also google rcmp sight and look up storage etc. No ammo by guns etc etc
Old 12-29-2019, 12:15 PM

Glass doors do not meet the easily broken into criteria.
Further to this the glass front doors would likely not be considered storage, but quite possibly be considered display of firearms.

Go look at your CFSC material and see for yourself.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Default Storage

Non restricted have to be unloaded, minimum of trigger lock or bolt removed with ammo stored separate if outside a locked container or safe. You can store a non restricted rifle on your coffee table if it has a trigger lock and unloaded with no ammo. So yes inside a glass cabinet with trigger lock or bolt removed is legal.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:21 PM

As far as I know, there is no storage requirements specific to non-restricted firearms as long as they are inside your home. You can, as far as I know, have a firearm leaning up against your closet door with no trigger lock or anything.

Maybe I'm wrong .... that's what the instructor who did the forearms course for my son said (I re-did the course with my son) a few years ago.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
As far as I know, there is no storage requirements specific to non-restricted firearms as long as they are inside your home. You can, as far as I know, have a firearm leaning up against your closet door with no trigger lock or anything.

Maybe I'm wrong .... that's what the instructor who did the forearms course for my son said (I re-did the course with my son) a few years ago.
A glass cabinet is an example of displaying firearms. A firearm that is being displayed must be trigger locked OR locked in a container OR room that is hard to break into. This is from the regulations...…………...not made up.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:

You either had the worst instructor on the planet, or you mis interpreted what the instructor was saying.

The rules are very well presented in this document, which as far as I know is being handed out with the other course materials, if the course is taught here in Alberta.

https://public.dm.files.1drv.com/y4p...drts=252281489

There are no absolutes
Old 12-29-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:

This is a good example of how pathetic some of the PAL courses are, nobody should be issued a PAL , unless they know the basic storage rules, for each class of firearm.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:29 PM

I’m actually in the middle of fixing up an old wood and glass case I got for free. I’m using it for my shotguns, I just don’t know if I should replace the one missing glass with glass or plexi glass. Or replace all 3 glass openings with a fine expanded metal for a different look.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:22 PM

If someone wants your guns they will get them ,even if they are willing to remove the whole safe from the house and open it later. Smart guys will leave their unavailable guns in a cheep Canadian tire safe that you can open with a screwdriver and the nice riffles are hid somewhere in the house.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:39 PM

One of my gun cabinets has glass doors. It is a beautiful piece of furniture and was a gift from my wife. My solution was to drill two holes in the back of the cabinet near the outside edge at approximately the height of the trigger guards of the firearms. I then threaded a plastic covered steal cable, through each hole forward into the cabinet. I then formed and secured a small eye into each end of the cable using splicing collars. At this point simply thread the cable sequentially through each trigger guard then place a common padlock through both eyes. The result is all of guns are secured to each other and to the cabinet.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Not clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This is a good example of how pathetic some of the PAL courses are, nobody should be issued a PAL , unless they know the basic storage rules, for each class of firearm.
Mr Blair doesn’t even know the rules of storage, so it cant be that clear.
Also, the law does not state what storage actually is. Is storage the moment a firearm enters your residence, or is that “in your possession”? If you were searched in your home and found to have an illegal item, you would be in possesion of it, not storage. As an Instructor, this course has numerous contradictions, and open to interpretations, which wasn’t necessary. There is a video that shows locking ammunition in the trunk, which is not a requirement. But the presence of the video is misleading.
I would say that replacing the glass with lexan would be a great alternative.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Mr Blair doesn’t even know the rules of storage, so it cant be that clear.
Also, the law does not state what storage actually is. Is storage the moment a firearm enters your residence, or is that “in your possession”? If you were searched in your home and found to have an illegal item, you would be in possesion of it, not storage. As an Instructor, this course has numerous contradictions, and open to interpretations, which wasn’t necessary. There is a video that shows locking ammunition in the trunk, which is not a requirement. But the presence of the video is misleading.
I would say that replacing the glass with lexan would be a great alternative.
Blair is clueless,so regardless of how clear the regulations are, he likely wouldn't understand them.

As to my post, read the post that I quoted, the poster plainly stated that there are no storage requirements for non restricted firearms. You, me, and anyone that holds a PAL should at the minimum be aware that there are legal requirements for storing non restricted firearms.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:39 AM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Blair is clueless,so regardless of how clear the regulations are, he likely wouldn't understand them.

As to my post, read the post that I quoted, the poster plainly stated that there are no storage requirements for non restricted firearms. You, me, and anyone that holds a PAL should at the minimum be aware that there are legal requirements for storing non restricted firearms.
Quoted your response for no particular reason other than to further discussion on the lack of clarity in Canadian gun law. Also Elk, if you entered this sport tomorrow, with no prior knowledge, you would be a different gun owner than you are right now. These questions are not new on this forum, and thats evidence of lack of clarity.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:40 AM

Default Rcmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
Yes. Short answer.
Longer answer would be, that case isn't going to stop a thief from smashing the glass or the wood, I'm assuming the cabinet is made out of wood, taking all the fire arms and opening the locks in the comfort of his or her home. They look nice those cases, will say that, but won't stop some one. But yes legal. I have a few rifles etc with trigger locks I keep on hooks on the wall and last time rcmp were at my house, they barely glanced at them other then to see they were locked. Didn't even ask for my p.a.l but I do keep my nice stuff locked in a safe that's bolted to concrete floor.
Also google rcmp sight and look up storage etc. No ammo by guns etc etc
How often do the RCMP stop in and look at your firearms?
Old 12-31-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Quoted your response for no particular reason other than to further discussion on the lack of clarity in Canadian gun law. Also Elk, if you entered this sport tomorrow, with no prior knowledge, you would be a different gun owner than you are right now. These questions are not new on this forum, and thats evidence of lack of clarity.
I see the same questions being asked over and over about the firearms laws, and the hunting regulations, more of a sign of laziness, as most of the questions are easily answered by a simple look at the RCMP Firearms site, or the Wildlife Act. There are some more complicated regulations, but many that are asked about are not difficult to figure out.
As for myself, I made it a point to read up on the firearms regulations, and I double check the hunting regulations every year, to look for changes. If a person makes the effort, it's not difficult to learn pretty much everything that you need to. I have friends that just started shooting and hunting in the past few years, and they are well aware of the firearms and hunting regulations, because they made the effort to learn them.