Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Default BB Gun,

Hi, I'm looking at getting a BB gun.. I've ever had a gun before, never shot one, heldo one before..
My familys house was broken into Thanks Giving weekend, it was slashed smashed, ripped apart than gasoline was splashed everywhere, were all sick about it. We were left for dead.

Getting a BB gun is the safest thing I can think of and I've read I don't need a licence for it too, I'm angry! ****ed off.. I'm feeling all kinds of feelings but the anger is what I feel now. masking my fear.

What, well what do I need to look at can anyone help me... I'm going down to Wholesales sports this weekend and get myself something..

Thank-you for your time.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Get a dog.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:27 PM

Better yet your a shot gunn learn them punks a lesson . Ugh Id be livid too .
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM

just be carefull you can still be charge with weapons offences even with a bb gun . plus canadain tire would be cheaper. the high power ones at whole sale you still need a pal i believe. the canadian tire ones you just have to be 18.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Just saying IF this actually happened it might not be a good idea to advise a guy to get a BB gun to combat whoever did it.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Fishface, sorry about your situation.

Might be best to wait a few weeks to calm down first.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM

I expect a pellet gun would just result in a good beating for who ever squeezed the trigger. Not much stopping power; it would probably just anger most punks.

It is not legal to shoot anything at people who are damaging or stealing your property.

We do not have the castle doctrine in Canada.

Seeing someone was recently killed by a shot with a pellet gun there stands a good chance of someone being charged with attempted murder in this holophobic society for shooting someone with a pellet gun.

40 S&W is better for home defense. Has good stopping power but usually doesn't go through the perps and kill other family members.

We can only shoot people when faced with lethal force. So the guy busting up the place better have a table leg , bat or blade in his hands and have you cornered.

If you do shoot him you will have to explain to the court how you managed to access the weapon and the ammo and remove the locking device, load and shoot the dude quicker than you could have just run away. Chances are your going to face a few firearms charges. Chances are your going to share a room with some dude named Bubba for a decade if you shoot the vandal in your home.

Or you could do the smart thing....Stay out side and call the police and hope the insurance covers the damage!

Hope they catch the scum that trashed your home!

Last edited by uglyelk2; 10-21-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:42 PM

Bad guy # 1--- Wow Fishface scared me when he pulled out that gun.
Bad Guy #2----Yeah good thing I had my 9 mil. Sorry I didn't blow his head off before he got you with his bb gun.
BG#1--- Yeah that kinda stung. Coulda broke the skin if I didn't hav e that t-shirt on. At least you killed him after though.
BG#2----Yeah. You wanna smoke some crack.
BG#1 ----Okay. Crack is cool.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 PM

Confronting someone with a pellet gun is just asking for trouble.What are you going to do if pressed to use your weapon? I would think you would be out of options by that point and then what? What if the intruders are armed themselves? Even if they have a knife your outgunned. Dont start something you cant finish and with a pellet gun you will start something but no way are you going to finish it.
In my home the home defence plan works like this: Collapsible night stick in headboard,Bearspray in nightstand , knife in nightstand drawer, gun safe in bedroom closet. Chances are the guns will never come into play as it takes a few minuets to unlock safe, Unlock ammo box, Remove Clip for .45 ,remove trigger lock, load clip and rack slide.
Now if a gun became my only option its to the bitter end and ill take my chances being judged by 12 than carried by 6, but with a BB gun your only looking for trouble as you cant finish what you started.
PS my best defence is a 70 pound german shepard, get by him and you can have it if im not home
Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 PM

I keep our bear spray in our nightstand along with a rather large knife. Just in case. If it came to it, I'd be confident using both. A lot quicker to get at then fumble around unlocking safes, trigger locks, and loading.

A BB gun will just p$$s someone off.

It's like the saying, you run better scared than mad. I fight the same.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:30 PM

get a paintball gun its will sting and make them look like idiots XD
Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 PM

X2 on the German Shepard. Nice dogs to those they know and even the ones that are nice to everyone would make most thugs pick a different house.

Sorry about your place.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 PM

Get a dog. A pellet gun or bb gun will inflame an attacker and could result in you getting severly injured. As a moderator on this board I can not condone anyone getting a firearm for strictly personal or home defense seeing as how that illegal.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Get a dog. A pellet gun or bb gun will inflame an attacker and could result in you getting severly injured. As a moderator on this board I can not condone anyone getting a firearm for strictly personal or home defense seeing as how that illegal.
x2.....using a firearm in any way against another person is a good way to get yourself shot by the person or by law enforcement. Pointing a BB gun at someone is a serious deal and can end very badly for anyone involved.

Buy a dog....
Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM

I agree on the dog part!
Myself, I have a chair leg under the bed (thin hallway and it allows my to get a full swing if needed) and bear spray near the door.
A good Idea is to make friends with some of the neighbours, we have, and we tell them when we are going away and vise versa. Caught the local teenage car thief that way
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM

As some people have pointed out, it is pretty much illegal to store guns for self-defense in Canada, but I believe that it is also illegal to store bearspray for home defense or self defense in urban areas. I think when you purchase it, the intention of the purchase must be to use it when you are in the woods. If you intend to use it against another human being, it is illegal as I understand. But don't take my word for it, look it up yourself.

On a related note, would this be a possible (meaning legal) home defense set up: a gun safe in the bedroom, and inside an empty semi-auto rifle next to a stocked magazine? As far as I can tell, the fact that the rifle is locked up and empty meets the statutory requirements. I think this would be the ideal setup (under Canadian gun laws). As long as your keys are in your night table, it would take maybe 10 seconds to retrieve and load the gun.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
On a related note, would this be a possible (meaning legal) home defense set up: a gun safe in the bedroom, and inside an empty semi-auto rifle next to a stocked magazine? As far as I can tell, the fact that the rifle is locked up and empty meets the statutory requirements. I think this would be the ideal setup (under Canadian gun laws). As long as your keys are in your night table, it would take maybe 10 seconds to retrieve and load the gun.
I have a safe in my bedroom closet. It has keypad access so no keys to fumble with.

My 18" Mossberg 500 has a sidesaddle with 6 rounds ready to go. Legal and fast to access.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 PM

My safe is in my bedroom as well. My bear defense 870 and slugs are in the front of it. But there are three dogs in the house to get throught first. I think that I will never need the gun.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Default BB gun

It seems I remember a R.C.M.P. officer telling ammo has to be locked away in another room. I also think I read it in the gun laws. Crazy, I know but thats the law. I guess we better do what we can to see it changed. I am already on the new MLA for this area probably wont do much but I feel better after I rant on them for a while.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:26 PM

First post, and it's a doozy. I think fishface is a troll just trying to draw at replies advocating a firearm for home defence. The covered with gas and left for dead part kinda gives it away.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
It seems I remember a R.C.M.P. officer telling ammo has to be locked away in another room. I also think I read it in the gun laws. Crazy, I know but thats the law. I guess we better do what we can to see it changed. I am already on the new MLA for this area probably wont do much but I feel better after I rant on them for a while.
Ammo can be kept in a safe with your rifles. LEO would be the last person I would ask about firarms laws.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:30 PM

BEAR SPRAY ----- I am a young girl living alone and it goes everywhere with me, best advice I've been given.