Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 03:34 PM

Default 12gauge BP question. Brass shells and load.

Good afternoon. A question or two I need help with.
First let's start with what I have.

-single shot shotgun ( break action) mod choke. Have shot a few challenger slugs though it so I'm fairly sure the action is strong enough for a decent BP load.
-Brass. Magtech 12 gauge
-Goex ffg
-buck shot. 00
-10 gauge over powder card and fiber wads ( in mail coming)
-11 gauge over shot card
-Cci large pistol primers

Iv googled the hell out this and there is some CAS load stuff and some other questionable load stuff.
I'm looking for fully functional loads ie hunting, my hunting loads are my target/practice loads as I like to practice with what I'll hunt with.
From what iv seen on google loads range from 35grains to 150 grains, a average being 65 ish for cas.
Was a few that are at 80 grains and that seems right maybe, I'm honestly not sure.
Also some how in my excitement to get new stuff I forgot BP powder measure. I'm open to any house hold items that will work. I have some 45-70 emptys but no idea how much a full case of BP would be,
Any ways I'm looking for a decent hunting load with buckshot and a item I could use as a measure.
God this got long winded sorry folks.
Oh please feel free to inbox me load data if don't want to post. Any help be great.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM

3 drams of Black Powder is 82 grains, a normal target load.
Black powder loads do not develop the pressure of smokeless loads.
Adjust your wad column to fit with a 1 1/8 ounce buckshot load.
A measure is handy for black powder - how's were you planning on weighing your shot load?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:20 PM

One general rule of thumb with black powder shotguns is; using an adjustable scoop (Lyman) is equal volumes of powder to “lead” shot. So, for example; one scoop of powder will properly propel one scoop of shot. In your case; the difficulty is that using large buckshot; there’s gaps between the shot and it gives you a false weight. I guess if you use some very very small shot to fill those voids would get you what you want. The buckshot would fly at the desired velocity and the small stuff would drop off fairly quickly. Your optimum goal is to get all that stuffed into a shotgun shell with a over powder wad and a cushion wad in between.
Remember it’s like a teaspoon of powder to a teaspoon of shot or a tablespoon of powder to a tablespoon of shot. FFG or FG and regular shotshell primer in a high based shotshell. Using low based shells; the black powder burns hot; so you’ll noticed a wee bit of melting; maybe on your second loading. I just toss my cases after shooting them; no problem!

Cat; does sound agreeable to you?
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 PM

I know I need a measure. In my hast to order things I forgot to get a BP measure. Was hoping something like let's just say a jiffy marker lid = 50 grains or 60 grains and I could just do that till I get payed again. Was a small over sight on my part got to excited to try something new
Old 04-05-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
I know I need a measure. In my hast to order things I forgot to get a BP measure. Was hoping something like let's just say a jiffy marker lid = 50 grains or 60 grains and I could just do that till I get payed again. Was a small over sight on my part got to excited to try something new
There is an adjustable measure in the stuff I am sending you
Cat
Old 04-05-2020, 10:54 PM

Ohhhh I didn't know. Here I am panicking.. Well then just ignore me everyone. Nothing to see here, move along, yes there we go, great,