Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 PM

Default Does oil in the bore prevent copper fouling?

I’ve never thought of this before, but have noticed something as a result of something unrelated.

With another dust up over barrel break in I thought I’d look at it more closely. I had a brand new barre, a bore scope so thought why not? The barrel as received from the gunsmith was cleaned, and oiled and put away. I use Eezox in the bore as it goes on wet, but is considered a dry lubricant. It is not supposed to have an effect on the fouling shot and my experience seems to bear this out. So my first shot in this break in process would have been over this synthetic oil.

The first shot produced some copper fouling in the front half of the bore increasing as it approached the muzzle. Not uncommon. And it cleaned up fairly easily. A few patches and good. This time I did not oil the bore. The bore was scoped to confirm this and then the next shot was fired.

This time the fouling was similar in placement but more of it with noticeably more at the muzzle. Cleanup was much more difficult and one land at the muzzle was particularly stubborn. Again, this is not uncommon, but we were progressing backwards. After cleaning I had the though of the oil and so put a light film of Eezox in the bore.

After the third shot, the fouling is again noticeably less, even than the first time, and clean up was easy.

Now none of this has any real scientific process, nor can any theory be proven. But, if copper atomizes in the bore, would it have less tendency to grab the metal if oiled, or if it’s washed in would the same principle apply?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Banned

It makes me wonder what effect this would have on accuracy? Less resistance would put a faster spin on the bullet I would think?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 PM

I'd be really interested in your further observations on this chuck. I don't have a bore scope to really check anything, so I have to just go by what's on my patches and how difficult or not cleaning is.

I did notice that when I switched to Lucas gun oil a few years back, that my cleanups have become faster and easier in general. It's just a subjective thing, but when you shoot 500 or more rounds with a pistol every week, and cleaning 3-6 different handguns, you tend to notice differences.

I do believe having a 'wet' barrel reduces fouling, but not sure how that impairs accuracy? Purely my subjective feeling on it. And I think that the quality of oil you use also has a bearing on it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Banned

Does your point of impact change? How about velocity? Is it repeatable and consistent?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Does your point of impact change? How about velocity? Is it repeatable and consistent?
None of the above has been tested. It was not the intent of this experiment. However, Eezox does not affect velocity or POI in the many rifles I’ve used it in over the years. That’s why I and others use it. But again, this isn’t the point of this discussion.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
None of the above has been tested. It was not the intent of this experiment. However, Eezox does not affect velocity or POI in the many rifles I’ve used it in over the years. That’s why I and others use it. But again, this isn’t the point of this discussion.
So whats the point then
Old 04-02-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
It makes me wonder what effect this would have on accuracy? Less resistance would put a faster spin on the bullet I would think?
bullet can only spin as fast as the rifling twist dictates.
the number of revolutions it makes prior to hitting it's target or falling to the dirt may go up or down if the velocity goes up or down in relation to friction.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
bullet can only spin as fast as the rifling twist dictates.
the number of revolutions it makes prior to hitting it's target or falling to the dirt may go up or down if the velocity goes up or down in relation to friction.
Makes sense to me!
Great thread! Less cleaning more blasting!

A couple of years back I was reading a thread on how much difference in accuracy that cleaning the fouling out completely can make with cast bullets. I did notice a slight difference at 100 yards but not significantly. Cast always hits 1.5 lower than brass using my 45/70

Maybe it’s just increased powder. Dunno
Old 04-08-2020, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

hmmm I took the ol'303 out for a cleaning....first time in 3 years....yup looks good now....last week hit a milk jug off hand at 100yards....first shot....oil...and whatever else was nesting in it didn't affect the ol'girl….but it was built for this not like the fandangled high priced high maintenance rigs out there now.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-08-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
hmmm I took the ol'303 out for a cleaning....first time in 3 years....yup looks good now....last week hit a milk jug off hand at 100yards....first shot....oil...and whatever else was nesting in it didn't affect the ol'girl….but it was built for this not like the fandangled high priced high maintenance rigs out there now.....
You gave me a chuckle ! There is some merit to it !
Old 04-08-2020, 05:36 PM

Sometimes we just don’t know ... I’ve heard a lot of complaints regarding “the wind” tossing a flier out of the group ... but never when the wind blows a wayward shot into the group
Old 04-08-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Sometimes we just don’t know ... I’ve heard a lot of complaints regarding “the wind” tossing a flier out of the group ... but never when the wind blows a wayward shot into the group
Most people I meet at the range don't know how to put a proper shot sequence together let alone know whether it was the wind, their follow through, breathing of an act of God that made a flyer what it is.

Cat
Old 04-08-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Most people I meet at the range don't know how to put a proper shot sequence together let alone know whether it was the wind, their follow through, breathing of an act of God that made a flyer what it is.

Cat
Amen!

All the gear, and all the right websites, trying all the latest and greatest new tricks.

Let’s face it your old man said it “somebody looking to sell to somebody, something they think they need”.

Learn to walk before you can run, spend your time honing those skills with a rim fire rifle, then move to a centre fire that doesn’t put you on concussion protocols.
Learn about your form, get some technique, even $600 entry level .223’s and.243’s will get that done, even with a fix powered scope.

There are no absolutes