Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 12:46 AM

Default Laminate stock VS composite.

Hello hunters,

I’m looking at buying a new gun. I currently have a Marlin XL7 30.06 with a composite stock but I don’t like the way it kicks me.
After shooting my brother’s 270WSM I’m sold.

I have the chance to buy a Tikka T3 Lite with the option of a composite stock or a Boyd’s laminate stock. M

I like a light gun for going walking but I’d rather a gun that doesn’t hurt to shoot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 12:59 AM

buy the composite stock and put a limbsaver pad on the back of it.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:26 AM

You want a light rifle, that doesn’t hurt to shoot........

Think a medium sized case, not a long case or a magnum.

7mm-08, or .308.

Recoil pads help, but so does how high your scope sits above the bore, the affinity towards 50mm or even larger objective lenses on scopes have the scopes being far to high above the bore line. Get a scope that can be mounted as low as possible to the bore, which gets your head down on the stock which will keep your face from getting slapped under recoil.

And I’d also suggest you learn the difference between composite and Tupperware as far as stock materials go.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-28-2020, 05:54 AM

Tikkas Don t fit me well and kick me good. Im not generally recoil sensitive and own and shoot many thumpers. But for me tikkas are vicious....too bad cause they really are nice guns. If you have a chance to shoot one before buying do it. An after market stock would probably help but you'll need to factor in the extra cost.

As for weight vs recoil.
Are you a shooter or hunter? If your going to send many 100x rounds down range and only hunt every other weekend in season get a bit heavier rifle.
If your a hunter first and only shoot a box or so a year get a light one comfortable to carry. Most times recoil is not noticed when taking shots at game.

Whatever you choose enjoy the process and buy the rifle that gives you the most confidence in.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:05 AM

There are four general types of stocks, solid wood like walnut, laminate, molded plastic, and fiberglass/carbon fiber composites. Laminate is usually the heaviest, so the least felt recoil, and the lightest are the molded plastic and carbon fiber composites, which produce the most felt recoil. A good recoil pad can make a significant difference in recoil, but if you want less recoil without resorting to a brake, stick with a heavier rifle, or a smaller capacity cartridge.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:51 AM

Any composite kick more then other options. Buy wood if you’re not worried about weight.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Any composite kick more then other options. Buy wood if you’re not worried about weight.
Buddy has a Tikka in wood stock chambered in 300wm. Rattles my fillings....I have a mauser set in synthetic in 300 wm.( bout 8lbs) that I can shoot benched or prone 50 rounds / session if needed.. Wood stocked husky s are notorious for kicking......stock design/ fit has way more to do with it than slight weight increase. Everyone is slightly different and will " feel" recoil different.
I had the pleasure/ miss pleasure lol of shooting a wood stocked ak 47 last year and managed only one mag dump as the 762x39 whacked me in my cheek on recoil so hard I ended up having to lift my head entirely off the stock. That gun was not light....stock fit/ design trumps weight 90% of the time
Old 11-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
buy the composite stock and put a limbsaver pad on the back of it.
Yup.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:25 PM

Stock fit has more to do with recoil then most will admit... personally I like Tikka, Sako (older) stocks they fit me best and I find recoil to be fine..

Remington's and Ruger #1 stocks however seem to kick me like a mule...yet the older tang safety Ruger rifles are fine.

I also find 30 caliber rounds tend to kick me harder as well. Yet I can shoot 9.3 x 62, 375H&H, 338 mags. are just fine. (Maybe a recoil pulse thing)

A kickezz pad or similar quality recoil pad will defiantly help. But stock fit, caliber is even more important IMHO.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Wood stocked husky s are notorious for kicking......stock design/ fit has way more to do with it than slight weight increase. Everyone is slightly different and will " feel" recoil different.
I learned to hunt and shoot carrying an old wooden Husqvarna. It's a very peppery shot. Now I like a heavier (wood) stocked rifle with a recoil pad, but I have a friend who loves to shoot that same Husqvarna. Like you say, individual fit is the biggest factor.

One thing that wasn't asked is what kind of hunting you tend to do. Although I dislike composite for balance and recoil reasons, it makes sense for stillhunting or if you are climbing a lot. I always carry a daypack when I hunt so I'm somewhat loaded, and even still I like the extra pound of my wooden stock for steadier shooting. There are actually a lot of factors that go into the selection so you may not figure it out for yourself until you've tried the different options in your most common circumstances.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
stock fit has more to do with recoil then most will admit....

this is the key!!!
Old 11-28-2020, 06:25 PM

Laminates are not light by any stretch and generated recoil between 270wsm and the 06 are negligible. Your Marlins stock was likely the problem.

Tikka T3s aren't known for their recoil absorbing powers so hopefully the new stock helps. I'd rather put 5 downrange with a buddies Weatherby 338-378 than his T3 300wm. Just brutal.

As has been said stock fit is most important.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Hello hunters,

I’m looking at buying a new gun. I currently have a Marlin XL7 30.06 with a composite stock but I don’t like the way it kicks me.
After shooting my brother’s 270WSM I’m sold.

I have the chance to buy a Tikka T3 Lite with the option of a composite stock or a Boyd’s laminate stock. M

I like a light gun for going walking but I’d rather a gun that doesn’t hurt to shoot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Slurpee,

If your located close to Edmonton I could loan you you a Boyd’s laminate for a T3 in a Prairie hunter. Might help give you an idea. It really helped my 300 Win Mag.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Slurpee,

If your located close to Edmonton I could loan you you a Boyd’s laminate for a T3 in a Prairie hunter. Might help give you an idea. It really helped my 300 Win Mag.

Super kind offer Homesteader!
At this point I only have the Marlin XL7.

Thanks though! Appreciate the offer to help.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Tikkas Don t fit me well and kick me good. Im not generally recoil sensitive and own and shoot many thumpers. But for me tikkas are vicious....too bad cause they really are nice guns. If you have a chance to shoot one before buying do it. An after market stock would probably help but you'll need to factor in the extra cost.

As for weight vs recoil.
Are you a shooter or hunter? If your going to send many 100x rounds down range and only hunt every other weekend in season get a bit heavier rifle.
If your a hunter first and only shoot a box or so a year get a light one comfortable to carry. Most times recoil is not noticed when taking shots at game.

Whatever you choose enjoy the process and buy the rifle that gives you the most confidence in.

Solid points!
I’m definitely a hunter and typically just shoot enough to sight in my scope and stay confident... which my 30.06 hasn’t been helping with! Lol.
I went out shooting yesterday just to try and spend more time getting used to what I have. My aim was decent but the gun really jumps in my hands.

Any advice on what I can do with the gun I have the way it is to keep it more steady?

Old 11-29-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Buddy has a Tikka in wood stock chambered in 300wm. Rattles my fillings....I have a mauser set in synthetic in 300 wm.( bout 8lbs) that I can shoot benched or prone 50 rounds / session if needed.. Wood stocked husky s are notorious for kicking......stock design/ fit has way more to do with it than slight weight increase. Everyone is slightly different and will " feel" recoil different.
I had the pleasure/ miss pleasure lol of shooting a wood stocked ak 47 last year and managed only one mag dump as the 762x39 whacked me in my cheek on recoil so hard I ended up having to lift my head entirely off the stock. That gun was not light....stock fit/ design trumps weight 90% of the time

Hmmm...
Have you ever heard of how the design in the older Marlin XL7 is supposed handle?

Are they a gun that typically kick hard?

I went shooting yesterday and found the sweet spot so it wasn’t hurting my shoulder so much but the barrel and scope really jump up every time I fired.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
I learned to hunt and shoot carrying an old wooden Husqvarna. It's a very peppery shot. Now I like a heavier (wood) stocked rifle with a recoil pad, but I have a friend who loves to shoot that same Husqvarna. Like you say, individual fit is the biggest factor.

One thing that wasn't asked is what kind of hunting you tend to do. Although I dislike composite for balance and recoil reasons, it makes sense for stillhunting or if you are climbing a lot. I always carry a daypack when I hunt so I'm somewhat loaded, and even still I like the extra pound of my wooden stock for steadier shooting. There are actually a lot of factors that go into the selection so you may not figure it out for yourself until you've tried the different options in your most common circumstances.

Thanks Peebles.

I’m mostly a mountain hunter and prefer moving to sitting still. So a lighter gun seems like a good idea.

I mostly hunt deer and black bear but like going out for Elk and would love a moose. I’m looking for a single gun I can shoot with confidence and do the job for all these animals.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
this is the key!!!

Are you familiar with the Marlin stock?
Is it notorious for being a kicker?
Is there somewhere I can find this info out?

Old 11-29-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the Marlin stock?
Is it notorious for being a kicker?
Is there somewhere I can find this info out?

Check.out marlinowners forum. You should be able to get an idea from some of the guys that own them
Old 11-29-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Check.out marlinowners forum. You should be able to get an idea from some of the guys that own them

Nice!
Thanks obsessed1.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Nice!
Thanks obsessed1.

I can’t seem to find that forum?
Is it on this platform or just somewhere else on-line?
Old 12-07-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
... stock design/ fit has way more to do with it than slight weight increase. Everyone is slightly different and will " feel" recoil different.
I had the pleasure/ miss pleasure lol of shooting a wood stocked ak 47 last year and managed only one mag dump as the 762x39 whacked me in my cheek on recoil so hard I ended up having to lift my head entirely off the stock.
I’m confused... I thought an ak47 was supposed to be fired from the hip

I have noticed similar things with stock design. Some feel like less recoil simply because of design
Old 12-07-2020, 05:00 PM

Default Laminate stock VS composite.

I have used a Boyd’s laminate on someone else’s savage before. I didn’t like how the size was larger than the factory dimensions. That may have just been that specific model and I wouldn’t say I have large hands so maybe for someone else it would be preferred.
I do love the Tikka laminate I have though. And I handled a Sako laminate and it seemed very nice. Almost convinced me to buy a 375 H&H even though I have no need for anything larger than a 30-06 haha

Geez I must be losing it during covid. I posted the last two consecutive comments.
Time to get off the forum for a day lol
Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I have used a Boyd’s laminate on someone else’s savage before. I didn’t like how the size was larger than the factory dimensions. That may have just been that specific model and I wouldn’t say I have large hands so maybe for someone else it would be preferred.
I do love the Tikka laminate I have though. And I handled a Sako laminate and it seemed very nice. Almost convinced me to buy a 375 H&H even though I have no need for anything larger than a 30-06 haha

Geez I must be losing it during covid. I posted the last two consecutive comments.

Lol!

I love my tikka laminate. When i was shopping for my rifle I hated the feel of composite stocks. They all feel like crap to me. I love the grip that a wood stock offers. Composite just isn’t the stock for me.

When I picked up the tikka laminate I knew that I had found it, this was the gun. So I bought it right there and then. Love that stock. And it looks great.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
Lol!

I love my tikka laminate. When i was shopping for my rifle I hated the feel of composite stocks. They all feel like crap to me. I love the grip that a wood stock offers. Composite just isn’t the stock for me.

When I picked up the tikka laminate I knew that I had found it, this was the gun. So I bought it right there and then. Love that stock. And it looks great.

That is what you need to find..one that fits....and feels good in the hand.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post

Interesting, as my Boyd’s laminated for T3 is noticeably trimmer then the factory Tikka laminated.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Interesting, as my Boyd’s laminated for T3 is noticeably trimmer then the factory Tikka laminated.

Good to know!
This version was the thumbhole so maybe that’s a factor.
I wrote off Boyd’s because I have never seen another and didn’t want to buy and then regret it.
I also have come to dislike thumbhole stocks altogether from a few different models
Old 12-09-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I can’t seem to find that forum?
Is it on this platform or just somewhere else on-line?
Type marlinowners.com into your web browser. It should take you right there. It's another forum similar to AO except most members are marlin owners..there's a sub forum for your exact model of rifle. You should be able to ask any question you want and other marlin owners can respond
Old 12-15-2020, 11:26 AM

I had a XL7 in 270 win for a few years with the plastic stock. I did not like the recoil on it so I added a better recoil pad. I still didn't like the rifle much even though it shot well. I then added a Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock and while it looked a lot nicer it didn't shoot any better and I don't recall it helping with recoil much either.

I eventually sold it as it just sat in my gun cabinet. I really wanted to like it but I did not like the recoil.

Short answer is, no I don't think the laminate stock helped with recoil much but it did come with the cheap (useless) Boyd's recoil pad. With an upgraded recoil pad it probably would have been better as the laminate stock was a fair bit heavier.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Did you have to do quite a bit of inletting or does that T3 just drop right in?

I just picked up a NIB T3 Lite Compact and was thinking about a Boyds stock if it turns out to be a shooter (foregone conclusion).