Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Default Muzzleloader rifle question for a beginner

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a muzzleloader for use at the range and maybe hunting in the future. I am left handed, if that makes a difference and am wondering what I should be looking for or at in terms of make, caliber, etc.?

Would like something fairly straight forward and the more idiot proof, the better!

Thank you in advance for your advice/insight and pointing me in the right direction.

Mark
Old 11-27-2020, 02:13 PM

Thompson center
Old 11-27-2020, 02:21 PM

I have a TC Encore Bone Collector in 50 cal. It is a modern inline style, very simple to load(uses pyrodex pellets vs loose black powder). The only thing that might be affected by being left handed is the hammer, but I think the hammer spur is reversible... actually looking at their website the hammer can be pivoted for either hand.

Gotta watch wind drift at the range, not everyone appreciates the cloud of smoke filling the shooting bays...

Have taken many WT with it, and more than enough power for something bigger if you stay inside a reasonable range.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Thompson center
This.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:47 AM

I’ve had good luck with CVA
Old 11-28-2020, 05:45 AM

I am lefty and shoot a 50ca TC pro hunter encore. The hammer on this model can be adjusted with an Alan key to be sitting to the left, or right, or centre. With a scope it’s best to offset for clearance

Pellets and sabots are easiest to use. This makes it easy to keep a consistent charge. I carry speed loaders that have everything set up so you just dump it down the barrel and push it into place
Old 11-28-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20shadow05 View Post
Hi All,

I am looking at getting a muzzleloader for use at the range and maybe hunting in the future. I am left handed, if that makes a difference and am wondering what I should be looking for or at in terms of make, caliber, etc.?

Would like something fairly straight forward and the more idiot proof, the better!

Thank you in advance for your advice/insight and pointing me in the right direction.

Mark
The direction you take all depends on your reason for wanting to buy a muzzle loader.

If you want to take advantage of the very few muzzle loader only seasons in Alberta , I only know of a Wainwright hunt, then go with the encore or a similar in line muzzleloader that can accurately shoot out to 200 plus yards. Put a nice scope on it. Buy a .50 caliber. I'd use sabots and triple seven powder.

If your interest is nostalgia, fun, the cloud of smoke and sulphur, and an extra challenge in the field I would look for a hawken style rifle. Tompson Center, Lyman, or other high quality makers. I've shot and been dissatisfied with the Traditions Brand. Caliber when going in this direction is a matter of personal choice. I love a .54 or .58 cal. They are harder to find bullets, buy a mold and cast your own if you like. Everyone seems to shoot a .50 cal. They are also good. Look at twist rates for deciding your desired projectile. If you want to shoot patched round balls you will shoot a different twist than if you are planning to shoot maxi balls, sabots, etc.

Buy a flintlock if you are craving less reliably and challenge with a bit of extra fun.

After reviewing your first post I don't think a flintlock is what you're looking for.

I'd look for a Lyman Great Plains rifle in a .50 caliber.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:14 AM

Lyman does make percussion and Flint rifles in Left Hand. Outside Lyman you would have to order LH from Tack of the Wolfe in the states. These muzzle loaders have a max effective range of 150 yards. In a Flintlock you MUST use real black powder. If you want longer ranges than that you will have to go to an inline. You can get muzzle loaders that use modern powder and are good well past 500 yards but to me that kind of defeats the purpose.Guys in the states use them to qualify for muzzle loader only seasons without have the reange limitation of the old patch and ball muzzle loaders.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:33 AM

I hunted with a Knight .50 cal inline for a good 20 years. Shot a lot of deer with it. Used 2 - 50 gr Pyrodex pellets and a 240 gr HP bullet and green sabot. Had a plunger style (bolt) so would be no problem for a lefty. This worked for me from brand new, so even tho other's told me loose powder was better, I never tried anything different. Longest kill was at 125 yds along a field but mostly I was a bush hunter. Had a scope (3-9x40) for my tired old eye's.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:59 AM

I have taken about 40 deer with a ML rifle in Saskatchewan, most with a T/C Hawken.
T/C made left hand Hawken and Renegade rifles.
You would have to look for a used one.
LH Renegades seem more common than LH Hawkens.
These more traditional muzzleloaders usually have a 1:48 rifling twist which shoots patched round ball or conical, or sabot bullets.
They will not stabilize the longer, heavier sabot bullets.
They are very accurate with the 240 grain XTP bullet in a sabot.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I hunted with a Knight .50 cal inline for a good 20 years. Shot a lot of deer with it. Used 2 - 50 gr Pyrodex pellets and a 240 gr HP bullet and green sabot. Had a plunger style (bolt) so would be no problem for a lefty. This worked for me from brand new, so even tho other's told me loose powder was better, I never tried anything different. Longest kill was at 125 yds along a field but mostly I was a bush hunter. Had a scope (3-9x40) for my tired old eye's.
I used one of these old beauties for one season in Saskatchewan....game changer for sure....but still went back to my Hawkins in left hand model...90gr pyrodex and a hornady Great Plains bullet on top....50 cal....hits slow but like a freight train....

To the OP good luck as this is a challenging way of hunting but rewarding...shoot lots at the range to really enjoy the rifle...we use to get together on Sunday's and shoot for hours...fun times for sure.

Now there are so many great models out there as in inline that you don't have to worry which hand you shoot with etc....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...