Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2022, 10:38 AM

Default Pine Coulee

Any reports from Pine Coulee? Any trout showing up, or any Walleye or Pike left?
Old 03-18-2022, 09:59 AM

I gave up on ice fishn PCR. I did see a smallish trout go past one of my ice holes I had drilled on the far south end in about 8 FOW

Fshn for pike so had no good offering for it. Fished it too man times and too man skunks for me.

I did see a couple of young fella's catch a few small trout not far from the boat launch last fall if that helps you. They were about 100m from the launch.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:55 AM

I was just checking out the 2022-23 Regs and Pine Coulee will be closed in the winter next season. Only open April 1 to Oct 31 and a bait ban.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:22 AM

More closures and restrictions in Southern Alberta.
But we can get our wallets out to keep a Walleye in Crawling Valley.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
I was just checking out the 2022-23 Regs and Pine Coulee will be closed in the winter next season. Only open April 1 to Oct 31 and a bait ban.
I also note they changed from 5 trout to 1 over 50cm Wonder how many will be fishing that place this coming yr. I caught a couple brooders last summer which were ton's of fun. Sinking fly line with a spoon at 1.8MPH I put all back for anyone who wants to give it a try but it's an early morning go all day event.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:01 PM

Another res being “over-managed” by our illustrious bio’s. There’s lots of fish in PC. It was fine as it was. The south really needed it. Must be an easy job if the only tool in the box is always a hammer.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
Another res being “over-managed” by our illustrious bio’s. There’s lots of fish in PC. It was fine as it was. The south really needed it. Must be an easy job if the only tool in the box is always a hammer.
If I recall from the "public consultations" This was a request from the public, made to the bios that this be made to be a "quality" fish lake. I definitely voted against this. I hope everyone here put in thier opinions to the bios who make these decisions, as they do consider these in thier decisions. If you don't like it now, call up the Bios and let them know. Otherwise, it will continue to be the voices that wanted this change continue to be the voices they hear!

https://youtu.be/Q5I6nv-NR9k
Old 03-18-2022, 05:24 PM

Kouleerunner is correct. Kind of a trophy lake situation.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
If I recall from the "public consultations" This was a request from the public, made to the bios that this be made to be a "quality" fish lake. I definitely voted against this. I hope everyone here put in thier opinions to the bios who make these decisions, as they do consider these in thier decisions. If you don't like it now, call up the Bios and let them know. Otherwise, it will continue to be the voices that wanted this change continue to be the voices they hear!

https://youtu.be/Q5I6nv-NR9k
Agreed & for clarity, from the survey introduction it was a few (think it was 7 or so IIRC) that spurred the changes and must have very good connections to be able to get this done so quickly! I mean obviously PCR must me the highest priority reservoir that needed saving (sarc.). Would be interesting to see the results of the “public consultation” survey. They still haven’t further restricted the Bow but you can put money on it, they will. Shutting down & restricting is all they know.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:13 PM

This has been in the works for the last few years and there was a survey about possible reg changes for this lake. These surveys get sent to everyone with an email attached to their Win card so there is really no excuse for not knowing about it. I assume the whiners did not do the survey?

PCR went from a fun fishery to take the kids to, to absolute crap as soon as they changed the regs to allow you to wack every fish that you wanted. I think its a great idea to try to make it into a trophy trout lake since they have stopped aerating Police. Not sure it will ever become one though as I don't think they will ever be able to totaly eliminate the walleye and pike.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:42 AM

is there any reg changes for the other species still left in there like the burbot pike or walleyes?
Old 03-19-2022, 12:55 PM

I'm excited to see if PCR can become a decent trophy trout fishery with the updates to the regs. Would be nice to have something relatively close by to Calgary as the ones in Caroline / Sundre can be way too busy for the size of the lakes out there.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:32 PM

In my humble opinion it is kinda a waste to attempt a trophy trout lake (or even a simple put and take pond) with a bunch of pike in the lake. It needs to actually be killed off before trout will be able to live and thrive otherwise all we are doing is feeding pike
Old 03-19-2022, 05:07 PM

well it will be a trophy fishery but not a trout fishery but a monster pike fishery. lol
Old 03-19-2022, 05:31 PM

It always has been a trophy pike place. Not everyone catches one but some monsters come out every once in a while and surprise many.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
This has been in the works for the last few years and there was a survey about possible reg changes for this lake. These surveys get sent to everyone with an email attached to their Win card so there is really no excuse for not knowing about it. I assume the whiners did not do the survey?

PCR went from a fun fishery to take the kids to, to absolute crap as soon as they changed the regs to allow you to wack every fish that you wanted. I think its a great idea to try to make it into a trophy trout lake since they have stopped aerating Police. Not sure it will ever become one though as I don't think they will ever be able to totaly eliminate the walleye and pike.
Yes, everyone had the ability to complete the survey, some did, some/probably most didn’t (apathy). I can’t seem to find the results though. Does anyone know a way? The survey for proposed changes wasn’t that long ago. PCR was absolutely fine the way it was. Not everyone could figure out the res, but the fish ARE there. Some of the best fishing I’ve had over the last few years was at this fishery that the bio’s view as a relatively unmanaged satanic cesspool that obviously needed more regulation...give me a break. Another res bites the dust.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
In my humble opinion it is kinda a waste to attempt a trophy trout lake (or even a simple put and take pond) with a bunch of pike in the lake. It needs to actually be killed off before trout will be able to live and thrive otherwise all we are doing is feeding pike
X2
Old 03-19-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
Yes, everyone had the ability to complete the survey, some did, some/probably most didn’t (apathy). I can’t seem to find the results though. Does anyone know a way? The survey for proposed changes wasn’t that long ago. PCR was absolutely fine the way it was. Not everyone could figure out the res, but the fish ARE there. Some of the best fishing I’ve had over the last few years was at this fishery that the bio’s view as a relatively unmanaged satanic cesspool that obviously needed more regulation...give me a break. Another res bites the dust.
The review isn't posted yet but will be available from here eventually.

https://www.alberta.ca/fisheries-engagements.aspx

Links close to the bottom of the page

Or here once it's public.

https://www.alberta.ca/2022-23-sport...ngagement.aspx
Old 03-19-2022, 09:53 PM

It would be awesome to have a trout lake closer where they are big and thrilling to catch. 10 inch rainbows aren’t fun all the time. Diversity is key in out and take fisheries.

If this lake works as a trophy trout fishery that will be applauded.

If it doesn’t work… it will be plan C.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-20-2022, 09:42 AM

Well, they are off to a great start with the trophy trout program. 31,596 trout stocked that are 4.7cm long! In a Walleye and Pike lake!

Pine Coulee Reservoir NE15-14-28-W4 RNTR Trout
Lodge/Jumpers AF3N 4.7 31,596 17/Sep/21
Old 03-20-2022, 11:22 AM

if the walleye would not grow what makes one think the trout would grow to trophy size.
Old 03-20-2022, 11:42 AM

These biologists shold no better Putting trout,into a waterbody.That has 2 predators[pike & walleye].What a shame.

It has been about 10 years now.Why aren't they trying to stock Dipping Vat.Year ago,before tripoloids ,entered the scene.DV grew a 8" fish,stocked just before freeze up.To be growing to 12-13" over that 5-6 months.under the ice .Is outright,phenomenal growth.
Old 03-20-2022, 11:50 AM

Default Dipping vat

Dipping vat used to have some great fishing, but I heard there was a landowner conflict a few years ago, and no fishing or stocking was allowed.
Hope this has been resolved. Was a great fishery at one time.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
if the walleye would not grow what makes one think the trout would grow to trophy size.

You bring up a great question. I have thought about this for several years, and keep coming back to the same conclusion. If predator fish don't have an adequate supply of forage, they won't grow. I asked several biologists about tracking forage population in the water bodies they FWIN net, and the answer has always been they don't track it. I think this is a missed opportunity, and there is evidence not far to the south of us that stocking forage fish can be of great benefit to quality fisheries. I contend that PVR did not make it as a walleye lake due to the lack of forage, therefore they starved. CVR is another example of of this problem, several years ago.

My experience in lakes/rivers that have great fishing opportunities have a very healthy forage population, that provide the forage for the predator population, and all do well.

PCR still have a good population of predator population, and the 4-5" RB stock has just provided the forage base. I think its going to be a very good fishery in 10-15 yes, but won't be trout. See CVR for reference.

We need to learn from our mistakes, because we are bound to repeat them if we don't, and doing the exact same thing and expecting different results is insanity.

My 2c
Old 03-20-2022, 09:22 PM

Google "pine Coulee reservoir trout", go to images. Look good to me.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Google "pine Coulee reservoir trout", go to images. Look good to me.
I'm curious, why does that look good to you? Serious question, I'm not trying to bait you Into a ****ing match, What impression do you have with those images? I assume you refer to the large Rainbows taken from there by Jim and Matt. If so, can you let me know if you are under the impression that these are the normal size fish taken there. Are you assuming that these fish developed there naturally? My assumption here was always that those were old breeders from the hatchery that were put in with the 13cm trout in 2018. There is 0 possibility of a fall 2018 13cm stocked trout getting to 75 cm in 9 months. If you disagree, I would love to hear your thoughts your thougts.

PM me if you would prefer.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
Very different diets. Large pike and walleye need lots of forage fish to grow large. Rainbow can grow large on invertebrates and other bugs.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:52 PM

The issue with the walleye was they didn't reproduce in the lake. It was covered in one of the zoom meeting.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:28 AM

Those big trout are not brooders...they are triploids

The burbot population was decimated by overharvest.
The walleye didn't grow over 17" and were not reproducing successfully.
Not many big pike available.

Trout should be able to find enough invertebrates and minnows to grow well.
A lake with trout over 18" is very welcome south of Calgary. Not all of us are satisfied with 6-10" trout. Looking forward to see what happens.
Quality trout lakes are packed with people. It will be nice to have another option to spread people out
Old 03-21-2022, 07:30 AM

fill it with bass!
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich