Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2022, 09:38 PM

Default Who's Looking Forward To Open Water Fishing?

I love ice fishing but I'm ready for open water and getting out in the boat. Who else is ready for for spring and some open water fishing? What do you usually chase at ice out? I'll be putting the boat in at ice out to go after some Tigers and Browns this spring...
Old 03-14-2022, 11:37 PM

I’ve been having dreams about spring time fishing. I have a small ZBec inflatable that I want to get on some trout ponds as soon as I can. Also have a Portaboat to try out.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

All in due time....

Whatever, whenever....depends on what I want to chase and when

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-15-2022, 07:09 AM

I can hardly wait! Finalized the order on my new boat yesterday, should have it by early May and hopefully have it full rigged for opening day.

The first couple trips on open water are generally all about BIG pike for me, and then on to the walleye once that bite starts to pick up and the tournaments start.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:31 AM

It should be open water all year
Old 03-15-2022, 07:40 AM

I'm looking forward to trying Police Lake once the ice comes off after April 1. My boat is a Fish Cat 4, so my feet get a little bit cold my first few outings lol.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:30 AM

New boat has arrived so I am ready for open water to come ASAP. I always love targeting early spring pike and walleye.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-15-2022, 11:28 AM

Normally, I'd want the hardwater to stay longer. But I have so many ideas for next season already that I want to get out and start mapping. I'll actually fish a bit this open water season though...I might be getting rusty.

I think I'm going to pick up Garmin's Panoptix PS30 transducer and mount it on the SSV-16 I use for mapping. According to their engineers, it allows you to map 12X faster than conventional down imaging sonar. I'm sure that number is highly dependent on the depth of the water you're mapping. Still, I think it would be interesting to try. The only problem is I'll be pretty much fully down the rabbit hole with both Lowrance and Garmin at that point.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I can hardly wait! Finalized the order on my new boat yesterday, should have it by early May and hopefully have it full rigged for opening day.

The first couple trips on open water are generally all about BIG pike for me, and then on to the walleye once that bite starts to pick up and the tournaments start.

Ordering a new boat is always exciting! What did you order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
New boat has arrived so I am ready for open water to come ASAP. I always love targeting early spring pike and walleye.

SS
Is the new one an upgrade or a second boat for bigger or smaller waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Normally, I'd want the hardwater to stay longer. But I have so many ideas for next season already that I want to get out and start mapping. I'll actually fish a bit this open water season though...I might be getting rusty.

I think I'm going to pick up Garmin's Panoptix PS30 transducer and mount it on the SSV-16 I use for mapping. According to their engineers, it allows you to map 12X faster than conventional down imaging sonar. I'm sure that number is highly dependent on the depth of the water you're mapping. Still, I think it would be interesting to try. The only problem is I'll be pretty much fully down the rabbit hole with both Lowrance and Garmin at that point.
I'm looking forward to mapping some unmapped waters this spring too. There was no maps of the lake I have been fishing Brookies and Bows so last summer I dumped my boat and spent a day mapping it. It paid off great this winter. I pulled my bow unit off my boat with all my saved waypoints and put it in a portable pack to use ice fishing. It has worked out well. I have almost doubled my catch this year in fewer outings and there is till a couple weeks left. I'm considering upgrading my two Elite Ti's to a pair of FS's to be able to take advantage of the Active Target capability and wired ethernet capabilities.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:22 PM

Go out in the Fall as late as you can and map the weed line on those trout lakes. As soon is the ice is thick enough get out and fish about 3-5 feet off of them and hang on for dear life.

A good map is second only to live imaging in the "cheating" department. Because we generally have such poor maps around here, most people don't realize that. And they're even more important in the winter when mobility is limited.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Go out in the Fall as late as you can and map the weed line on those trout lakes. As soon is the ice is thick enough get out and fish about 3-5 feet off of them and hang on for dear life.

A good map is second only to live imaging in the "cheating" department. Because we generally have such poor maps around here, most people don't realize that. And they're even more important in the winter when mobility is limited.
When I mapped it last year I used the colour features to colour code the weed line contours. I know at a glance then when using my map to navigate where the weed edge is located and all this winter I put the camera down to find openings and trails in the weed beds then marked them in waypoints on my Lowrance. It works! Amazing how many fish I caught in "pockets" located in the weed beds themselves just not on the edge of the weed bed though the majority came within a few feet of the outside of the weed bed as they ran it hunting for food.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post

Is the new one an upgrade or a second boat for bigger or smaller waters?

2022 Princecraft Xpedition 200 WS with a Merc 250 ProXS and a 9.9 ProKicker. Just waiting on my Humminbird electronics to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-15-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:

2022 Princecraft Xpedition 200 WS with a Merc 250 ProXS and a 9.9 ProKicker. Just waiting on my Humminbird electronics to arrive.

Very nice! Have you had Princecraft in the past?
Old 03-15-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Very nice! Have you had Princecraft in the past?
This is my 5th Princecraft, and 4th Xpedition 200 model. My 2021 Xpedition from last year will be at the Edmonton Boat Show this weekend if you find yourself there and want to climb around in it. I'll be hanging out there quite a bit as well to swap stories and chat.

SS

Old 03-15-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Ordering a new boat is always exciting! What did you order?
A Warrior V208 with the new Merc Verado V8 300.

https://warriorboatsinc.com/v208/

I actually ordered it last fall, I was just finalizing all the details before they start building it. If I was actually trying to order it now, I'd probably be getting it at this time next year!
Old 03-15-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyedude View Post
a warrior v208 with the new merc verado v8 300.

https://warriorboatsinc.com/v208/

i actually ordered it last fall, i was just finalizing all the details before they start building it. If i was actually trying to order it now, i'd probably be getting it at this time next year!
Wow!! Nice!!
Old 03-15-2022, 01:00 PM

You guys are making me feel completely out of the fight with my 18' with a 150...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1347.jpg (132.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 03-15-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You guys are making me feel completely out of the fight with my 18' with a 150...
Ha, not hardly. Very nice boat, and it looks well equipped to me.

And the biggest thing, I'm pretty sure it floats, and that's really all that matters!
Old 03-15-2022, 03:30 PM

You don't want the fuel bill on a 300 Frank...trust me.

I think 90-150 is the sweet spot actually, but a 90 and a 150 together would probably struggle to put my Warrior up on plane.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Ha, not hardly. Very nice boat, and it looks well equipped to me.

And the biggest thing, I'm pretty sure it floats, and that's really all that matters!
Thanks. I think it's equipped well for what I do with it. I have a full remote 9.9 Pro-Kicker on it, a pair of Scotty electric downriggers, Xi5 with gps, sonar, bluetooth, Lowrance Point 1 and a pair of Elite Ti's all networked together via a NMEA 2000 and a Hook 5 at the rear for the person keeping track of depths at the back with the riggers and a half enclosure for if the weather gets crappy.

Quote:
You don't want the fuel bill on a 300 Frank...trust me.

I think 90-150 is the sweet spot actually, but a 90 and a 150 together would probably struggle to put my Warrior up on plane.
I can just imagine the fuel bill on a 300 with the current price of fuel if you get on her and run her any distance at a good speed.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
This is my 5th Princecraft, and 4th Xpedition 200 model. My 2021 Xpedition from last year will be at the Edmonton Boat Show this weekend if you find yourself there and want to climb around in it. I'll be hanging out there quite a bit as well to swap stories and chat.

SS
Obviously Princecraft boats have served you well if this is your 5th?! That's a good looking boat in the pic.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:25 PM

Orrin and Mark are Pro Staff for Warrior and Princecraft boats, and deservedly so. As such, they'll have a deal ranging anywhere from a discount on a boat every year to two free boats every year. With nicely-rigged tourney boats in the $100-150k mark nowadays, you need to either get sponsored or take up a relatively cheaper hobby like sledding if you want to play "keeping up with the Jones".

And I agree with Orrin...you have a very nice boat.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:00 PM

Can't wait for open water. Got the shop built so hoping to go earlier this year!!

My old Harbercraft can't even be seen at the same dock as you gents however me & Mama & a bunch of buddies have caught a few big'uns, & lotsa little'uns, and with the enclosed & the heater she's plenty comfy.

Yessir, am looking forward to open water!!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 03-15-2022, 08:10 PM

I have always said the best boat is the one you have that gets you out fishing. Fishing isn’t about the biggest and best, it’s about getting out with friends and family, or sometimes alone to clear your head, and enjoying nature and the challenge of catching fish in whatever conditions nature throws at you. I’ve had more memories made in small tinners (I still run a 12’) then I have in any other boats.

SS

Old 03-15-2022, 08:12 PM

Agreed. I spent a lot more time in my Lund SSV-16 than the big Warrior last season. Granted, I also did a lot more mapping than actual fishing.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:17 PM

Default Yep!

Open water for me means a little something different. I have a favorite stream I like to fish and as soon as the ice is off I'm there. Yes, the fishing is slow but, hey I could be working.

BTW, you gentlemen have some very fine looking boats. SHOTGUN!
Old 03-15-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
And mine is smaller yet at 16-1/2', with a 90, but as long as it gets me out, and is safe and reliable, that is all that matters. I haven't owned a boat in several years, so really looking forward to get back on the water.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:55 PM

Yup. Stream fishing for me. I’m addicted to bulls. I’ll be eating a few this year.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:57 PM

I run a 16 foot with a 50 on it. Not the fastest or most expensive but in the 14 years I have owned it it has never let me down and has taking me on many awesome fishing adventures from BC to Saskatchewan.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Orrin and Mark are Pro Staff for Warrior and Princecraft boats, and deservedly so. As such, they'll have a deal ranging anywhere from a discount on a boat every year to two free boats every year. With nicely-rigged tourney boats in the $100-150k mark nowadays, you need to either get sponsored or take up a relatively cheaper hobby like sledding if you want to play "keeping up with the Jones".

And I agree with Orrin...you have a very nice boat.
Thanks...

Oh ya, not one to worry about keeping up with the Jones', heck my wallet can't even keep up to my own wants! Lol