Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 AM

Default shooting in your yard

Hey guys, Just wondering if shooting in your back yard is illegal?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Default yard shooting

Do it all the time. Not 100% sure it is ok. I think that if your neighbors don't have a problem with it you should be all right. Just make sure your gates can't be opened so no one walks in unannounced.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM

I live in a new community, my mom thinks its not a good idea so I was just wondering what others do.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
I live in a new community, my mom thinks its not a good idea so I was just wondering what others do.
I think you might want to look into the bylaws of the town you are in.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 AM
troller

After a quick search all I can find is this:

"7.2 (a) No person shall, in a park, engage in:
(i) Propelling a golf ball in any manner;
(ii) Archery;
(iii) The use of a sling-shot; or
(iv) The shooting of a projectile of any nature"

I can not find ay information that states you can't in your own yard, but I did not look overly hard.

Here is the link to cockrane's bylaws.

http://www.cochrane.ca/municipal/coc...7?OpenDocument
Old 09-27-2009, 11:15 AM

thanks troller
Old 09-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Within most cities, towns, etc. a bow and arrows is considered a firearm under the bylaws and thus is not legal to 'discharge'.

But you would have to check out the laws that apply specifically to where you live.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Default technically illegal

Just talk with your neighbours and see if they don't mind

This is from the Provincial Wildlife Act
52(1) No person shall

(a) discharge a weapon, or

(b) cause a projectile from a weapon to pass

within 200 yards of any occupied building.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) the owner or occupant of, or the person having immediate possession or control of, the land on which the building is situated, or

(b) a person authorized to perform the activity by a person referred to in clause (a).
Old 09-27-2009, 12:40 PM
sheephunter

This would be a town bylaw issue...not a Wildlife Act issue. I think Duknut is correct. I've been told the same.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM

In Drayton Valley, you can't shoot your bow legally in your yard, it falls under some sort of projectile bylaw.

Had a buddy find this out the hard way.

x2 check your local bylaws, but I'm pretty sure a good many places have such bylaws.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-27-2009, 03:09 PM

so Sheephunter, If a guy were to shoot a deer in someone's backyard in the north part of Edmonton, does this mean he could not be charged for discharging within 200 yards of occupied building? Do the bylaws supercede and prov. legislation doesn't apply?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
so Sheephunter, If a guy were to shoot a deer in someone's backyard in the north part of Edmonton, does this mean he could not be charged for discharging within 200 yards of occupied building? Do the bylaws supercede and prov. legislation doesn't apply?
The way it was explained to me by the F&W a few years back, you would be charged under the town bylaw.
I wouldn't wanna be the one charged with killing an animal within town limits however....
Cat
Old 09-27-2009, 03:46 PM

Hope this helps.

Bylaw Number 20M88 --- on page 9 of this bylaw states.
10. No person shall shoot an arrow from a bow of any nature, over, across, or along any portion of a Street, public place, or upon any land owned by The City unless otherwise authorized pursuant to a bylaw of The City of Calgary, or in the case of a Park, unless authorized by the Director, Parks or his designate.

does not follow this bylaw:

9. (1) No person shall discharge a firearm, pellet gun, B.B. gun or a gas powered gun within
the City.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post

LOL...nope, sure you'd get charged twice there but I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about target practice and not hunting....hence the reason the bylaw charge would be used.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...nope, sure you'd get charged twice there but I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about target practice and not hunting....hence the reason the bylaw charge would be used.
plus thats Calgary not Cochrane. Why not just call or head over to the local police station and ask. Alot better to find out with a quick easy stop or phone call and get everything straightened out. Anyway, cochranes not hat big, just head 10 mins down the road and you will have no issues at all.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
plus thats Calgary not Cochrane. Why not just call or head over to the local police station and ask. Alot better to find out with a quick easy stop or phone call and get everything straightened out. Anyway, cochranes not hat big, just head 10 mins down the road and you will have no issues at all.
Huh...what was Calgary? Head 10 miniutes down the road to where?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 PM

so that is "city of calgary lands and parks" not your land or someone else land, I was told bye F&W ,before (3 years ago) that. i could bow hunt with in city limits as long as i have permission from the farmer and was not near any other houses.
I'll be calling again in morning.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
so that is "city of calgary lands and parks" not your land or someone else land, I was told bye F&W ,before (3 years ago) that. i could bow hunt with in city limits as long as i have permission from the farmer and was not near any other houses.
I'll be calling again in morning.
What? OMG...The F&W officer must have been on crack! You can't hunt in city limits...I live in the Bow Zone (3 mins outside city limits) and they have questioned me.

Let me know what they tell you.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 PM

Default Sorry

Sorry Hunter 10 in the town of cochrane shooting of your bow in your own back yard is not allowed by the town bylaws and by provincial law as well, we have tried on several occasions to due this but we get shut down everytime, lol bylaw bob get's there in record time, If you are looking for some where to shot your bow there is the Cochrane archery club and a few of us local guys out in the country get together and shoot every now and ten if you need some info just PM me will be glad to help you out.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Depending on the circumstances, I'd be a little nervous with a neighbour practicing in their yard. Mistakes can happen. Releases fail, fingers slip. It's not that hard to get out of town and sling a few. Maybe the question is more "does it make sense" rather than "is it legal".
Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpoint View Post
Sorry Hunter 10 in the town of cochrane shooting of your bow in your own back yard is not allowed by the town bylaws and by provincial law as well, we have tried on several occasions to due this but we get shut down everytime, lol bylaw bob get's there in record time, If you are looking for some where to shot your bow there is the Cochrane archery club and a few of us local guys out in the country get together and shoot every now and ten if you need some info just PM me will be glad to help you out.
hello :
i just got off the phone with F&W officer Ed Pirogowicz ,of calgary, he said I can hunt in the city limits of calgary with bow. you just can t hunt with in 200 yards of someone eles building or house that you don t have permission from. calgary bylaw say you can t do archery on there land. if you don't belive me call them your self, (403 297 6423). and i plan to keep hunting on the land i have permission. in the new city limits.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
What? OMG...The F&W officer must have been on crack! You can't hunt in city limits...I live in the Bow Zone (3 mins outside city limits) and they have questioned me.

Let me know what they tell you.
sorry i did the wrong quote.,
please read above
Old 09-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
nevermind.....
Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
yes you can shoot your bow in your backyard, there is no calgary bylaw that says you can,t.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
yes you can shoot your bow in your backyard, there is no calgary bylaw that says you can,t.
He's in Cochrane
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
sheephunter

Even in Calgary, I'm certain there is some obscure, general bylaw that prevents you from endangering the public. While this may not apply on an acreage that falls within city limits but in a subdivision, I wouldn't be so sure that no such law applies.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Even in Calgary, I'm certain there is some obscure, general bylaw that prevents you from endangering the public. While this may not apply on an acreage that falls within city limits but in a subdivision, I wouldn't be so sure that no such law applies.
How did you come to the conclusion that I am endangering the public?

Many activities can be interpreted as endangering the public like practicing golf or playing street hockey. But if one acts in a responsible manner like I do, charges won't be laid.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM
sheephunter

LOL...I didn't come to that conclusion....I'm just speculating that a non-hunting by-law officer that received complaints from neighbours might.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:59 PM

I think this gives us all something to think about As hunters we should do things in a safe manner not only to prevent accidents but also gain public support as we're often in their eye.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Though my property has been added within City limits lately, I'm glad I have an acreage of old growth forest and a really quiet Bow.
I don't know if the B.C. bylaws are different, but I'll be checking into it for sure.