Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Default A man’s rifle

I was just reading some stuff on Nathan Fosters web site. Here is a quote of his that I enjoyed.

“With regards to the old Sako rifle (pre-cost cut models), note the lack of a bipod, suppressor, brake, bubble level, picatinny railing, free standing pistol grip, plastic or any other nonsense. For those not familiar with such a set up, this is known as a man's rifle.“

-Billy Molls
Old 05-16-2020, 06:15 PM

There is a lot to be said for the materials used and the craftsmanship of the older rifles, pre 64 Winchesters, old Mausers or Springfields. Too bad that profit margins trump quality and pride in product, but that’s today’s world. Plus, it’s hard to argue with the results of some of these modern budget rifles using modern materials, design and machining. They have absolutely zero character or feel when compared to the old hand fitted iron, but the do flat out shoot. The old girls feel like you’re holding a piece of history, something someone took pride in assembling, it’s a great feeling.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:13 PM

Both my father and I hunt with older Sako's. Both are in the hard hitting 338 Winchester magnum. Both rifles have seen fly in's to remote areas not to be motion. Only to keep them as untouched as possible.
No muzzle breaks, bipods or extra garbage that isn't needed.
Both have reached out 800 meters dropping elk, moose, buffalo and deer.
Out of all my hunting rifles the Sako would be the last I'd part with.
So accurate and reliable.
My 2 cents

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 05-17-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I was just reading some stuff on Nathan Fosters web site. Here is a quote of his that I enjoyed.

“With regards to the old Sako rifle (pre-cost cut models), note the lack of a bipod, suppressor, brake, bubble level, picatinny railing, free standing pistol grip, plastic or any other nonsense. For those not familiar with such a set up, this is known as a man's rifle.“
Isn't Nathan Foster the Tony Robbins of shooting? For only $76.50 USD you can get his personal skills bundle and be awesome like him!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 AM

Nathan Fosters resume is pretty tough to argue with. But of course you would find a way to.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

I second the motion!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Banned

i have one of these! thank god i am a man

well maybe i have two, maybe i'm twice a man lol

my top two man rifles are a blaser k95 single shot (even has iron sights) and a cz 527 in 6.5 grendel, different spectrums of craftsmanship and horsepower but both all metal/wood beauties, feel awesome as well as look awesome, they are tough to let go of

i have some not so manly rifles also, they are fun to play with, easier to beat on, easier to let go etc.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:07 PM

What about the rainbow of alternatively identifying shooters? We know that our strength is in our diversity
Old 05-23-2020, 02:04 PM

I have several high end bolt rifles with big zoomed optics and specialized reticles and bipods up front, but a couple of my favs to carry on the hunt is either an old model 94 in 30-30 and a more modern full stock 30-06 Bavarian with iron sights.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
What about the rainbow of alternatively identifying shooters? We know that our strength is in our diversity
Sadly, the virtue-signalling PM that pushes strength in diversity, feels the opposite about the diversity inside my gun safe.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:58 PM

A mans rifle is simply one he shoots very well. Era, cartridge, brand means absolutely zero.

Lots of guys out there pulling a trigger on guns they can't shoot well if their lives depended on it. Every rifle has idiosyncrasies and limitations and it's up to the guy on the butt end to know what they are.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i have one of these! thank god i am a man

well maybe i have two, maybe i'm twice a man lol

my top two man rifles are a blaser k95 single shot (even has iron sights) and a cz 527 in 6.5 grendel, different spectrums of craftsmanship and horsepower but both all metal/wood beauties, feel awesome as well as look awesome, they are tough to let go of

i have some not so manly rifles also, they are fun to play with, easier to beat on, easier to let go etc.
So you’re another of the fortunate to have a cz527 that you like? I’ve got one in 17Hornet and it’s the poorest made gun I’ve got. Really pretty until you get up close. But all of the metal edges aren’t finished. Bolt feels like it rides in a channel chopped out with a chisel. Each round gets a deep scratch put into it. The clip is metal, but the metal edges are all sharp, it’s really catchy and rough. I took it apart and sanded all the edges and it’s better, but not a lot. Finally got the trigger where I want it and it’s now real close to a Tikka trigger. Doesn’t shoot anything smaller than 2” until you find the accuracy node and then it’s .25” If you get the right day that is and everything’s loaded precisely. Anything less and it’s back to 2” Wanna buy another Cz527?
Old 05-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Banned

Lol, I’m good. I’m not too fussy I guess. Mine doing moa pretty easy with factory. I had a .204 that was very accurate with factory also. My trigger got down to 2 3/4 clean and I slick the action with jb bore paste and polish feed lips on magazine. Great little rig.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 PM

Usually it's a pre-64 with irons. No?
Old 05-24-2020, 06:09 PM

I feel emasculated.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-24-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Usually it's a pre-64 with irons. No?
I don’t think he is referencing brand, but more the make up.

-Billy Molls