Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 PM

Default Where to get pheasant chicks / eggs for release?

Hi, I have some land and would like to get some pheasant chicks (or eggs for hatching) to release them (hatch in spring, release in summer)

Has anyone experience with that or any insights on where to start to order the chicks/eggs?

Is this legal? I own the land, so my thought is if I release 100 pheasants or so, just for fun to hunt them later, that should not be a problem?

Any thoughts are welcome!

thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfriend View Post
Hi, I have some land and would like to get some pheasant chicks (or eggs for hatching) to release them (hatch in spring, release in summer)

Has anyone experience with that or any insights on where to start to order the chicks/eggs?

Is this legal? I own the land, so my thought is if I release 100 pheasants or so, just for fun to hunt them later, that should not be a problem?

Any thoughts are welcome!

thanks
The 4H club and ACA will give you up to 300 one day old chicks in the spring for free. In the fall they will buy them back from you for 10 bucks each.
If your serious, check this program out. Google is your friend.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:03 PM

I believe you would have to hunt them under the regular hunting regulations. In order to be able to shoot more than 2 per day, you would have to register as a shooting preserve and get licensed.

What is your land like? Pheasants need brush to roost, clean preferably flowing water and food in order to survive.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 PM

Good insights, thank you!

The land is native grassland/hay with a small pond, some cattails nearby - the grass is pretty high and I don't cut it, for birds etc to nest in...

No brush or running water though...
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 PM

If you want to buy and raise the chicks to adult status and then release them on your own land for you and your friends to harvest, you simply need to get a game bird license. It will cost you $100 dollars a year for the license.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 AM

In regards to where to buy pheasant chicks or birds, there is a gentleman in the Athabasca area who bought a bunch of Dirt Willy's stock that raises them for sale. He sells ringneck and jumbo pheasant chicks at various ages up to adult birds and also sells Merriam and Eastern turkeys as chicks and up to adult birds also. On top of that you can even buy processed, government inspected meat birds as well. His name is Randy Gross and his number is 780-519-5550.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 PM

great thank you!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:23 PM

A friend once told me that he released 50 birds on his own quarter section a few day before the season. His idea was to invite a few friends to his place opening day in the afternoon. Plan to hunt real birds in the morning off his property then after lunch surprise them with a hunt to fill the limits of those who did not have birds.

They did not find a single bird but did find several feather piles. My friend had great working labs but could not produce a single bird.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 AM

I'd like a couple of peasant chicks... or pleasant chicks
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 AM

We used to buy 120 a year as 6 week pullets from Dirt Willy and then Wessex after Rick passed away.

Keep in mind you will need shelter and controlled heat if you are going to take on young chicks. The pullets are more money but don't require the shelter and heat and after 6 weeks we rarely lost any.

http://www.wessexgamebirds.com/