Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 06:04 PM

Default 102 Bull Moose

Just wondering if there is anyone on here that has pulled the tag. Just looking for opinions on whether to try and wait for tag or pull tag in a Northern zone closer to home. I have hunted prairie bull elk and loved the experience. Sadly for me is that I am at the age that I don't think I could pull the tag again in my lifetime. Issue is do I pull prairie zone once or hunt boreal bull moose 2-3 times? Forgot to mention is that I am 5 years away from even being close to pulling tag according to current draw results.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:57 PM

Don't waste your priority points!
Old 06-10-2018, 07:02 PM

Prairie moose are at south end of their range,,, If you after a trophy, (and no doubt there are exceptions) but as general rule, they just don't seem to grow as big antlers as more northern bulls would for the same age.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Don't waste your priority points!
I would agree.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 PM

102 would be a complete waste of time. Unless you're hunting an ACA property or one of the grazing reserves, landowners aren't very accommodating. Unfortunately, you won't find many moose on the reserves. Save your draw.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:03 PM

thanks folks, i am going to priority it again. worry about it another day.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Banned

Why would you ever try for wmu 102 if the northern zones are closer to home??? Theres a heck of a lot of places one could hunt moose closer to home.

Wheres home? Why go so far for a moose draw?
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Why would you ever try for wmu 102 if the northern zones are closer to home??? Theres a heck of a lot of places one could hunt moose closer to home.

Wheres home? Why go so far for a moose draw?
Pretty fair question. i live in the Athabasca area.i grew up in the south and never dreamed of hunting moose or elk out on the prairies, i hunted elk in my old area of 108 a few years ago and was the best elk hunt i have ever been part of. i just thought hunting those big buggers out on the prairie would be a unique experience. besides, where i live is just jungle and not really fond of digging moose out of the bush. we only shoot a moose where my Kubota tractor can get to.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Youve got lots of great options close to home. I wouldnt venture that far when youll find what you want so close to where you live.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
i hunted elk in my old area of 108 a few years ago and was the best elk hunt i have ever been part of.
Same here. It was a great time hunting elk on the prairies. It was a great use of my 11 points a couple years ago.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Youve got lots of great options close to home. I wouldnt venture that far when youll find what you want so close to where you live.
We have badlands and prairies up north now?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
We have badlands and prairies up north now?
Who said that? I said why go so far south when you have awesome opportunities close to home... heck i saw 7 or 8 moose last year when i was around athabasca for 2 days.

If im seeing that in a few days someone who lives there shouldnt have any issues. Why drive 6-7 hours away with no knowledge for a hunt???
Old 06-15-2018, 11:33 PM

My girls are going to University in Lethbridge so I have taken them hunting for deer in 102 the last three years. Usually see 2-3 every year, but pretty much all cows and calves. Bulls must be around, but I have not seen them. Sounds like you would need a lot of priority to have a maybe chance and likely on the only bull you find.

If you want a prairie bull moose hunt, try East and South of Camrose. Better odds there on finding a good moose.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:48 AM

I have seen Bull Moose every hunt in 102,118, over the last 35 years always a great surprise that leaves me feeling good.

But never a big bull so far
Old 06-18-2018, 05:45 AM

Thanks folks, it's a priority year for me this year. My son applied for moose and if he gets that we will work on that one. Thanks for the replies..
Old 06-22-2018, 01:58 PM

I've seen Moose in 119, and 118. My cousin shot his doe from a small hill overlooking a shallow coulee. After he shot it, he yelled for me to come over. There was a Bull Moose just chomping away, 40 ft below us next to a small creek. Even after a shot ringing off over his head, and 3 of us standing there watching him, after about 20 mins he decided finally to look up. Then he took off. Big guy for Prairie moose. Someone got him the next day.

There were 3 bulls in one coulee last year. I was watching one while bow hunting.