Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Default High Priced Casting Rods advantages

Hi Guys

I was wondering the main differences when it come to the high end casting rods over the more moderately priced rods. I fish mostly walleye and pike and for the last 3 years been using a 6.5 foot Fenwick HMG one piece and really like this rod. I usually spend in the $80 - 120 range and have been generally happy with this price point. The other day I was in Fishing Hole and came across a G. Loomis E6X series. They seemed like really nice rods but in the store I had a hard time seeing the value in spend $250-350 and more on a rod. I don't necessarily have an issue with spending the money on a higher end rod if there is a noticable difference in the products

Thanks
TUNA
Old 06-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Yes there is a difference but if you are just snagging pike I would save some bucks if it were me and I do that way by the way. Now for my walleye rods I would
Say yes. If you are jigging all day a lighter better balanced rod you will feel the difference. They are generally more sensitive too so you will feel those light sniffs when they are being finicky.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:36 PM

I haven’t fished with a bunch of high quality rods. But i like the HMX.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Banned

I believe the higher end rods will give you better sensitivity in all presentations where sensitivity is required. Jigging, lindy rigging, and on a lesser scale bouncer rigs, and cranks.

Slip bobber not so much a "feel" presentation as you rarely feel the bite before you see it. I use a 7-8 ft medium action for faster line pickup and a thin pencil like bobber (wave buster) with a properly weighted bait presentation that reduces resistance substantially when going under and increases hookups.

Higher end rods also have better and more line guides and better reel seats as well.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:30 PM

Talking

Whyyyyyy when there are fly rods lol jusss jokknnnn
Old 06-02-2018, 10:26 PM

The rod isn't twice as good as an HMG so if you're looking at it from a cost-benefit analysis sort of view it's for sure not for you. However, it is a better rod. All the rods I fish are either Loomis rods or St. Croix's and I'm sure you could make the argument that I'm a dummy for spending all that money on rods but at the end of the day I enjoy using them more, my arms don't get as tired casting all day and I get an increase in performance. If you fish a lot and are in a position to buy it, I would recommend you try one, in my opinion, its worth it, but that's just me.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:49 PM

High priced rods usually are more sensitive, lighter weight, have higher quality materials and have longer/better warranties. Many of them may have actions that are more suited to particular styles of fishing(you will see jigging rods, bottom bouncing rods, crankbait rods, drop shot rods etc), for example almost all E6X rods are designed to be ideal for a specific action and their website does a good job of explaining what each rod is designed for and how that affects the rod.

http://www.gloomis.com/content/gloom.../BASS_E6X.html

The HMG is one of the best budget options a guy can buy and you are comparing it to an entry level Loomis in the E6X. The price difference although substantial isn't a true representation of what you get, as others said if you are expecting it to be 2 times the rod you will likely be disappointed. If you can find a model that has an action better suited to a type of fishing you like to do, appreciate a bit more sensitivity, like the higher quality rod that you know will/should last longer and like the better warranty program(including expeditor service in which they will send you a brand new rod no questions asked) then you will like the purchase. If you step up to a true high end rod like their GLX or NRX then you will notice even more significant differences but the prices are significantly higher then even the E6X series so they definitely are not for everyone.

Most of my rods are getting to be higher quality rods now and I have 6 Loomis rods and love every one of them. Imo they make the best rods available although St. Croix has some very nice offerings as well.

Trying high end rods is a dangerous game. If you are like me you will never buy a cheap rod again lol.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Personally I look at all purchases this way. The price to quality ratio it pretty straight line but at some point the amount of dollars it takes to increment quality increases sharply. Lets call that the good point, you buy from there and you will never go wrong.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Whyyyyyy when there are fly rods lol jusss jokknnnn
Good point,,, a $200 - $400 fly rod is considered "low end' by the guys willing to throw out $800- $1200 for a "better rod"!!!!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
High priced rods usually are more sensitive, lighter weight, have higher quality materials and have longer/better warranties. Many of them may have actions that are more suited to particular styles of fishing(you will see jigging rods, bottom bouncing rods, crankbait rods, drop shot rods etc), for example almost all E6X rods are designed to be ideal for a specific action and their website does a good job of explaining what each rod is designed for and how that affects the rod.

The HMG is one of the best budget options a guy can buy and you are comparing it to an entry level Loomis in the E6X. The price difference although substantial isn't a true representation of what you get, as others said if you are expecting it to be 2 times the rod you will likely be disappointed. If you can find a model that has an action better suited to a type of fishing you like to do, appreciate a bit more sensitivity, like the higher quality rod that you know will/should last longer and like the better warranty program(including expeditor service in which they will send you a brand new rod no questions asked) then you will like the purchase. If you step up to a true high end rod like their GLX or NRX then you will notice even more significant differences but the prices are significantly higher then even the E6X series so they definitely are not for everyone.

Most of my rods are getting to be higher quality rods now and I have 6 Loomis rods and love every one of them. Imo they make the best rods available although St. Croix has some very nice offerings as well.

Trying high end rods is a dangerous game. If you are like me you will never buy a cheap rod again lol.

Question about the E6X series. You seem to know about this line-up, I recently bought a 6'3" medium-fast E6X to replace my Crucial that I broke. This will primarily be my jigging rod but from a factory standpoint what are these rods meant for? the web link you provided shows a multitude of rods but all pertaining to bass by the looks of it. My rod, along with all the other roads oin the store from that series show a walleye where the different objects appear online ( worm and jig, dropshot etc) Can you help clarify what the walleye designation is all about? This is my first Loommis rod after being a lifelong Shimano guy. I am hoping I like it.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:32 PM

I'm not Rayvak, but hopefully, I can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
This will primarily be my jigging rod but from a factory standpoint what are these rods meant for? Can you help clarify what the walleye designation is all about?
The walleye designation means that the rods were specced with walleye in mind, meaning that the power (in this case medium), action (fast), and length (6'3"). The rod you have is designated for vertical jigging according to the Loomis site.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Keep in mind generally speaking there are not a lot of walleye specific rods in the industry. I asked Loomis why one day when I was working the the store and their answer was that in the big picture the amount of walleye fishing is veey small so they are not catered to very much. Bass fishing is so much a larger group that they tend to focus on them moreso. Same with several other rod types. Many can be crossed over from bass to walleye you just need to do your home work.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

You would probably be a good candidate for building your own. HMX through Mudhole or a place in BC, can't remember the name, makes all sorts of blanks. I have a half a dozen that I have put together at a substantial savings, very nice blanks, and a blank for every application.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Question about the E6X series. You seem to know about this line-up, I recently bought a 6'3" medium-fast E6X to replace my Crucial that I broke. This will primarily be my jigging rod but from a factory standpoint what are these rods meant for? the web link you provided shows a multitude of rods but all pertaining to bass by the looks of it. My rod, along with all the other roads oin the store from that series show a walleye where the different objects appear online ( worm and jig, dropshot etc) Can you help clarify what the walleye designation is all about? This is my first Loommis rod after being a lifelong Shimano guy. I am hoping I like it.
Loomis either has or had some walleye E6X rods but for some reason they are not on the Loomis website anymore. They changed their website recently so I am not sure if they forgot to put the walleye E6X rods on it or if they decided to discontinue those models.

That particular rod is meant to be a vertical jigging rod. It is shorter, has a fast action with fair bit of backbone and has smaller guides. If you go to the following website and click the model number for the second rod you can see a write up for the GLX model of that rod and the E6X writeup would be similar although I pretty much just summarised it.

http://www.gloomis.com/content/gloom...YE_SERIES.html

I'm a Shimano guy too, almost all my gear is Shimano/Loomis and I will likely be a fan for life. Would love to get on prostaff with Loomis/Shimano and be able to try more of their gear but need some guys to retire first(hint hint lol).
Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
You would probably be a good candidate for building your own. HMX through Mudhole or a place in BC, can't remember the name, makes all sorts of blanks. I have a half a dozen that I have put together at a substantial savings, very nice blanks, and a blank for every application.
I got a buddy that makes rods and I know he uses HMX as well as a few other brands of blanks. You can also buy St. Croix blanks(used to be directly through St. Croix, now it looks like they sell them through Mudhole) which are probably the best blanks a person can buy but the price starts getting high enough even going that route($150-200 usd just for blank).

I probably would like making my own rods but I also have high standards and know it would take me a bunch of practice rods to make a rod I would be happy with lol. Easier to just go buy a world class rod then try to learn how to build one, one of these days I might start playing around with it though.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I haven’t fished with a bunch of high quality rods. But i like the HMX.
Both my new HMX blew up on me in less then a month. They were treated with respect and I rarely damage a rod.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 AM

A wholesaler buddy of mine once told me there is no difference in the blanks between high and low end rods. The difference is in the finishing. Better (more) guides, reel seats handle etc.
I don't know if it's true but I have gravitated toward better rods and haven't been disappointed....yet.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
A wholesaler buddy of mine once told me there is no difference in the blanks between high and low end rods. The difference is in the finishing. Better (more) guides, reel seats handle etc.
I don't know if it's true but I have gravitated toward better rods and haven't been disappointed....yet.
Absolutely NOT true.

There are major differences in both what the blanks are made of, and in how they're made.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 06-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 PM

The blanks are the main difference...

That is why a high end blank costs you $200-300 on its own.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM

If you want high quality and cost doesn't matter, then Kistler rods are for you!