Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM

Some shot gun shells filled with rock salt is a good non lethal deterrent.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
You're willing to end someone's life over a piece of property?
Hey I hate thieves as much as the next guy, if I saved up for something, and it was for me and my family and some punk tried to steal it, I have no problem physically hurting that person with my hands but we're talking a gun here. There's no coming back from that sometimes.

So I'll stick with my initial comment. If your life or your family's life is in danger then of course but if it's people stealing, I think you should just check your other options before grabbing your gun is all I'm saying lol.
I have no sympathy for criminals, but it could be a bunch of highschool kids being dumb 1 night or someone who needs a wake-up call, not the death penalty.
Don't want shooting on your property to become a common thing lol

Oh and I'm not completely disagreeing with you or even arguing with you by the way, just having a discussion, nothing personal, just as a heads up.
I know guys who've killed guys with their bare hands. It doesn't matter what is used, it's using force to protect man and property. The message should be sent that you put your life in danger when you decide to rob someone. The law should not be in place to protect criminals.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Hey I hate thieves as much as the next guy, if I saved up for something, and it was for me and my family and some punk tried to steal it, I have no problem physically hurting that person with my hands but we're talking a gun here. There's no coming back from that sometimes.

So I'll stick with my initial comment. If your life or your family's life is in danger then of course but if it's people stealing, I think you should just check your other options before grabbing your gun is all I'm saying lol.
I have no sympathy for criminals, but it could be a bunch of highschool kids being dumb 1 night or someone who needs a wake-up call, not the death penalty.

Oh and I'm not completely disagreeing with you or even arguing with you by the way, just having a discussion, nothing personal, just as a heads up.
Yup. one has to assess the situation quickly and smartly. A bullet in the head is a bullet in the head. And there is no going back in time...
Old 06-22-2018, 03:41 PM

The problem is we do not have a justice system. We have a catch and release system. Our growing crime rates depict this...

Last edited by 1899b; 06-22-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I mean Yes and No.

Yes it's a good thing that a homeowner protected his family and property and didn't get charged or sent to Jail. Cause like everyone on here, if your family was in danger, you're not thinking of the consequences, you're doing whatever it takes.

But at the same time, we don't want to turn into some crazy nation, where we are shooting at anything that moves on our property. He claims they were around his vehicles, the increased number of stolen vehicles in AB is crazy, still don't mean they deserve to get shot. What if they were going through his garbage, then what? Or did he at least give them some sort of warning before firing?
Obviously my family's safety is above a criminals' but it's a tough one, you can't always recover from a bullet, especially if there was a misunderstanding. But at the same time you don't know their motives.
In the house, shoot every bullet you got lol
Outside, I think there are better alternatives, let's keep the bullets for the sick criminals like rapists, not car jacks.
Anyone that comes onto a rural property and doesn't go knock on the door of the house before checking out stuff in the yard is, the majority of the time, up to no good. I'm not saying that is a reason to shoot first and ask questions later, but skulking around the yard and equipment there definitely makes the situation a little more precarious.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Some shot gun shells filled with rock salt is a good non lethal deterrent.
Load some up and let us know how they work for you.......

It ain’t what’s depicted in the movies.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-22-2018, 03:51 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

I am not suggesting shoot first and ask questions later performing an execution. I am suggesting if you tell the d-bag you have a gun trained on him so he better drop what he is doing and hit the ground and that if he does not, assuming he is armed and dangerous and taking according actions is warranted.

He drops the stuff and hits the ground he will be safe, pure and simple. Continuing his criminal behaviour with after all due warning, he is not safe.

Again, you keep calling it a piece of property. To me, it is not a piece of property... It is a piece of my life. I can get more property at the cost of another piece of my life, and many of the pieces are large pieces of my life. One day is more valuable than a year or even a decade in some circumstances. Heck... One day could be more valuable than an entire lifetime if the right instance!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 06-22-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:01 PM

I doubt any one here would care to take a life over a piece of property. But put to it I’m sure many would to protect their own life or that of loved ones.
In both recent cases of property owners defending themselves neither woke up with the intention of using lethal force on another human being. They were however forced into a position were they had to decide what a criminals intention were.
I think instead of being shocked that people are willing to use force to defend themselves we should be shocked there people willing to risk their own lives to steal property. A real and malicious criminal element exists out there, I say damn anyone who’d put a completely innocent person in that spot.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:05 PM

I believe that as a general precedent, the intent of which is to reduce crime, that thieves should have every expectation to suffer great physical violence for which their intended victims should suffer no legal repercussions for the dispensing of said violence. When a person invades someone else's home or workplace with intent to steal they should know in advance to expect that their butt might be seriously kicked, or much worse and wayyy more permanent consequences if they are armed when they choose to do so.....
Old 06-22-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I know guys who've killed guys with their bare hands. It doesn't matter what is used, it's using force to protect man and property. The message should be sent that you put your life in danger when you decide to rob someone. The law should not be in place to protect criminals.
And that is the problem, the priority seems to be to protect the criminals, rather than to protect the property owners. And of course the criminals are well aware of this, which results in them not being afraid to commit crimes.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 PM

Let this be the start whereby we CAN PROTECT our property!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Let this be the start whereby we CAN PROTECT our property!
So where did a ruling from the court set this precedence?

The charges were dropped!

Nothing has changed!

There are no absolutes
Old 06-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Precedent schmecedent, let the beatings of criminals caught in the act commence!

(of course only as necessary to effect your lawful citizens arrest )
Old 06-22-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
So where did a ruling from the court set this precedence?

The charges were dropped!

Nothing has changed!
Right, the Crown might have been seriously embarrassed if this had gone to trial, wouldn't want that to happen.

Grizz
Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 PM

Be careful what you post on the internet about about violence. Especially be an outdoors man/hunter and firearms owner. There are people out there baiting us so it can be pointed out to big brother. With the new laws we are going to get screwed over. Watch out for each other.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Right, the Crown might have been seriously embarrassed if this had gone to trial, wouldn't want that to happen.

Grizz
Is it acceptable now to shoot my gun carelessly with no regard to safety of those around??? Seems to be one of the messages people will take from them dropping the charges.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
So someone stealing pieces of my life away from me is not a sick criminal? I think of all the many hours, days, weeks, months and even years of my life I had to commit to doing hard work to get those things instead of spending that times with the people I love doing things that I enjoy, only to have some dirt bag show up and in 3 minutes he can steal away those parts of my life from me because he is to freaking lazy to do the hard work himself. You're telling me I just have to stand by and let him because the poor little darling doesn't deserve having to put his life on the line stealing parts of mine? I disagree absolutely...
I agree. Spend a lifetime working to have what I've got so ya my stuff is worth a life.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

I'm glad to see nobody is calling the defence lawyer a scumbag in this case.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Maybe nothing changed legally but you are dreaming if you think that a rural person shoots a gun with the sole intent of scaring away thieves, the bullet ricochets and hits a thief and he gets off...............but nothing has changed, what an absurd statement.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Be careful what you post on the internet about about violence. Especially be an outdoors man/hunter and firearms owner. There are people out there baiting us so it can be pointed out to big brother. With the new laws we are going to get screwed over. Watch out for each other.

Exactly why I noted the requisite tune-up to effect a lawful citizens arrest, at no point did I mention shooting anyone. That being said I was once the victim of a home-invasion type robbery attempt about 12-13 years ago, I have taken some lessons from the incident regarding being prepared for such unexpected circumstances.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Maybe nothing changed legally but you are dreaming if you think that a rural person shoots a gun with the sole intent of scaring away thieves, the bullet ricochets and hits a thief and he gets off...............but nothing has changed, what an absurd statement.
The absurdity is to lead people on that something has changed......

Legally we still can’t effect force to defend our property.

Legally you can’t shoot at someone and hope to not get embroiled in a legal nightmare.

The thief got nicked by a richochet, and Mr. Maurice went through a virtual wringer, both emotionally and financially, so the crown could at the nearest to last moment drop the charges. Where’s the justice in that?

The punishment is the system, and that my friend has defiantly not changed one bit.

It’s absurd to conclude otherwise, unless of course, you’re just being a passive aggressive troll.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-22-2018, 07:45 PM

Practice your Bankshot!

Very Happy for the Maurice family.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The absurdity is to lead people on that something has changed......

Legally we still can’t effect force to defend our property.

Legally you can’t shoot at someone and hope to not get embroiled in a legal nightmare.

The thief got nicked by a richochet, and Mr. Maurice went through a virtual wringer, both emotionally and financially, so the crown could at the nearest to last moment drop the charges. Where’s the justice in that?

The punishment is the system, and that my friend has defiantly not changed one bit.

It’s absurd to conclude otherwise, unless of course, you’re just being a passive aggressive troll.
You're just not getting it and that is fine.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You're just not getting it and that is fine.
I think that he is getting it just fine.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 PM

As I read it, the charges were WITHDRAWN, not dismissed.
Unless things have changed, that means that they can be re-laid at almost any time at the discretion of the Crown Prosecutor.

Toss a temporary bone to keep the noisy rabble happy until emotions cool off, then stick it to them again later.
Isn't that the LIBERAL way ??????
Old 06-22-2018, 09:50 PM

I believe if the crown wants the option of resuming the lawsuit against Maurice, the charges would have been 'Stayed', usually within a one year window to re-start proceedings. The charges being withdrawn means he's a free man, unless completely different evidence surfaces.

Great day for the Maurice's & society in general!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 PM

So the crown wastes a ton of tax payers money and court time. It would be better spent on putting the criminals away. Prosecutor should have to pay all costs and reimburse the family for being an idiot.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 06-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I think that he is getting it just fine.
You would of course, because neither of you are able to recognize what rural people defending their families and property means.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:19 PM

Did anyone get to see the guys lawyer? Meeeeoooww
Old 06-22-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
You would of course, because neither of you are able to recognize what rural people defending their families and property means.
This is a very wrong statement,who are you to judge others feelings and thoughts on how they conduct there lives.They probably got more balls in there baby finger then you have in your whole body,please explain why they don't recognize others problems.