Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Turkey Outfitters

I just recently thought about this. Why isn't there outfitters in Alberta with Turkey quota? This year being no Americans will be let into Canada to hunt, you're starting to see a lot of waterfowl outfitters advertising to Canadians to hunt with them and it got me thinking. Would be nice to have an avenue for turkey other then the once in a lifetime draw for us.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:34 AM

PM sent
Old 07-16-2020, 12:34 PM

I'm sure you could find a licensed guide to take you if you've been drawn, i don't think its a good idea to give any amount of tag allocations to an outfitter however. If you want to pay to hunt turkey go to BC or south to the U.S.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
I just recently thought about this. Why isn't there outfitters in Alberta with Turkey quota? This year being no Americans will be let into Canada to hunt, you're starting to see a lot of waterfowl outfitters advertising to Canadians to hunt with them and it got me thinking. Would be nice to have an avenue for turkey other then the once in a lifetime draw for us.
There are so few tags allocated now that if APOS was give a turkey quota, the wait for a non-outfitted draw would be even more onerous. We are talking maybe a 20lb bird here and that 20 lbs does not make me want to go and spend $ on a guided hunt................that's just me though.

I plan on hunting them in BC next spring while patiently waiting for a draw here.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
There are so few tags allocated now that if APOS was give a turkey quota, the wait for a non-outfitted draw would be even more onerous. We are talking maybe a 20lb bird here and that 20 lbs does not make me want to go and spend $ on a guided hunt................that's just me though.

I plan on hunting them in BC next spring while patiently waiting for a draw here.
Then we shall go together CNP! We will chat!
Old 07-16-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Were you thinking outfitter allocations?

Residents are not allowed to use outfitter allocations, so this idea would not help Residents in any way.
It would hurt Residents by taking away quota that we can currently access.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-16-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Were you thinking outfitter allocations?

Residents are not allowed to use outfitter allocations, so this idea would not help Residents in any way.
It would hurt Residents by taking away quota that we can currently access.
Yes. Just like all the big game allocations that won’t be used this year by Americans couldn’t Canadians fill the void?
Old 07-16-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yes. Just like all the big game allocations that won’t be used this year by Americans couldn’t Canadians fill the void?
Not too many Outfitters want to take locals that would just end up in their spots next year, even if we could even use the allocations which we can't

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Then we shall go together CNP! We will chat!
I'm all in for that
Old 07-17-2020, 08:00 AM

ITS AMAZING THAT TURKEY IS SO HARD TO GO HUNT IN ALBERTA.
lets make a deal ,you come hunt Ohio and i'll get you two birds,and feed you one of mine, for a class hunt in Alberta for big game next year>
we got some big ones here, plenty.