Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 09:21 AM

Default reduce recoil

Hello I have a Browning 300 wsm in Abolt II and it packs a punch,looking for idea's on what people have done to reduce recoil,it has a composite stock,thanks in advance for any help,Peter
Old 07-16-2020, 09:31 AM

Couple suggestions, these are just off the top of my head. Try to google this, you'll probably get a lot more ideas. This is a common concern.

-Install a limb saver recoil pad
-Install a muzzle brake
-If you reload make reduced loads (maybe look into buying reduced loads, I'm sure some companies make them)
-Add weight to the stock
-Install a soft cheek rest if you feel it in the face as well.

Personally, If I didn't need that heavy cartridge I would sell the firearm and look for something with of a punch.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:31 AM

I would start with a better quality recoil pad. If that doesn't work, I would consider adding some shot n the stock, or a better designed stock. I avoid brakes because of the huge increase in noise level to the shooter.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would start with a better quality recoil pad. If that doesn't work, I would consider adding some shot n the stock, or a better designed stock. I avoid brakes because of the huge increase in noise level to the shooter.
Just bought a new Sako A7 -30.06--you wouldn't believe the amount of new rifles with muzzle breaks---from many manufacturers. When I was looking, sure struck me as odd, as all a muzzle break usually does is get you a dirty look.
No thanks
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Just bought a new Sako A7 -30.06--you wouldn't believe the amount of new rifles with muzzle breaks---from many manufacturers. When I was looking, sure struck me as odd, as all a muzzle break usually does is get you a dirty look.
No thanks
I purchased a new hunting rifle recently that came with a brake. Double hearing protection to test fire, and then the brake came off and went in the box.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:57 AM

Agree with the above. Aftermarket recoil pad 1st and then reduced loads if needed. I had a brake on a past rifle that was a pleasure to shoot at the range but was unbearable to shoot hunting without hearing protection. The Hornady Custom Lite reduced recoil rounds were noticeably less recoil for my young daughter to shoot in a .270 recently....
Old 07-16-2020, 10:09 AM

165 gr bullets and a Limbsaver. If that doesn't do it, get rid of it. Don't continue to punish yourself by shooting a rifle that hurts when you use it. It could cause you to flinch in anticipation of the shot.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Recoil pad, check LOP.
Lower scope rings aka smaller obj. Scope
Laminate stock

Or
Sell it and buy something with less recoil.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-16-2020, 10:18 AM

For sure, better recoil pad will help.

IMO, the more shooting that a person does, the more likely they are to tolerate recoil.
Reduced loads are a good idea and can allow you to shoot more.

A practice rifle in a more moderate cartridge is a great idea. Compare a 260Rem to your 300wsm. It would be cheaper to shoot and the recoil would be more manageable. This will allow you to shoot more and become more able to handle the recoil of your hunting rifle.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:19 AM

For my heavy recoiling rifles I do all my load development utilizing a PAST recoil pad. Very effective, especially in the summer. Cheap, easy to put on, and no gun mods required.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/4326/...s-magnum-model
Old 07-16-2020, 12:27 PM

I slide a removable limbsaver over the existing decelerates on my rifle when at the bench..I have a past but never use it when I do this...a mercury jury piston in the stock really works if that is still allowed...idk
Old 07-16-2020, 12:29 PM

I also use a Past Recoil Pad while at the range or target shooting. I keep it hidden under my jacket.
My Heavy hitter rifle wears a Limbsaver Pad
Old 07-16-2020, 12:34 PM

I no longer have a PAST recoil pad. Either I left it at the range or someone lifted it while I was at the range. I actually think the latter. They do work great. Me, I'd sell/trade the gun and get a lighter recoiling cartridge.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies I greatly appreciate them,selling is not an option as was a birthday gift from my brother, so may look into loading the stock and better recoil pad.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:30 PM
Banned

My wife bought me a Savage scout (with Muzzle break).308 last year for my B'day. I made the serious mistake of touching off a round forgetting to put on my ear defenders.. Those muzzle breaks are horrible. I took off that break and installed a Dlask linear compensator. seems to help, but the .308 in my opinion doesn't kick much.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:03 PM

Browning a bolt 2 should be about 6.5ish lbs for a short action?

This may come to a shock to some people but light rifles kick harder, that newton guy will get ya every once in a while.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
No thanks
Muzzle brakes are prevalent on rifles these days because they are popular , shooters want to shoot with zero recoil as possible and to see their Bullets impact , which is also becoming very popular with the long range crowd.
Truth be known , when shooting long range, if your form is correct you will see you impact anyway, especially when shooting steel
Personally I do not own a rifle with a brake and never have although I have shot some at times , and know many shooters that do even on the smaller cartridges I shoot .
Cat
Old 07-16-2020, 07:58 PM

Unlike most people. I prefer dirt in my teeth and eyes. I Also wear hearing protection both with target and hunting. I have brakes on all of my rifles. Even my 243, she shoots like a dream. I figure if you can reduce the recoil, and if it doesn't affect performance, awesome. I've even noticed alot of times if I'm shooting at dogs the ones that get past up on the shot the majority of the time come running towards me opposed to away. Maybe this is a flute and depends on the surroundings, but I've rarely seen that with others rifles.

But to each there own. Whatever you like is fine by me. Some prefer the bottom and some prefer the top. As long as you're having fun have'ater.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:32 PM

I agree with MANY others, better recoil pad (linbsaver gets my vote). If you don’t mind carrying the extra weight, adding weight can help a lot. If you’re still looking for reduction, I would recommend reduced handloads (H4895 is your friend) or reduced factory loads. Oh yeah, lighter projectiles will can help as well. Just make sure the bullet construction is up to the velocity of the wsm.

Best of luck
Old 07-17-2020, 07:39 AM

I'm glad your not selling the gun.
This dont sound like much but just dont let the gun hurt you.
There is a big difference shooting 20 rounds prone all at once and shooting 5.
Make sure the scope has enough eye relief that you dont get kissed.
Like others said a recoil pad will help but something else that will really make a big difference is bag with lead bird shot between the gun and your shoulder.. Obviously it can't be to thick or it will make your length of pull to much. If you dont have lead shot you can use sand.
Recoil is mostly in your mind. Wear ear muffs. Prone is worst position for felt recoil. Just dont do to much magnum shooting at once.
Lighter bullets = lighter recoil
My 14 yo daughter practices with reduced cast bullet loads in her 30/06 and then I sight in fuill power loads for her to hunt with. Shooting game she doesn't notice recoil. No flinch.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I'm glad your not selling the gun.
This dont sound like much but just dont let the gun hurt you.
There is a big difference shooting 20 rounds prone all at once and shooting 5.
Make sure the scope has enough eye relief that you dont get kissed.
Like others said a recoil pad will help but something else that will really make a big difference is bag with lead bird shot between the gun and your shoulder.. Obviously it can't be to thick or it will make your length of pull to much. If you dont have lead shot you can use sand.
Recoil is mostly in your mind. Wear ear muffs. Prone is worst position for felt recoil. Just dont do to much magnum shooting at once.
Lighter bullets = lighter recoil
My 14 yo daughter practices with reduced cast bullet loads in her 30/06 and then I sight in fuill power loads for her to hunt with. Shooting game she doesn't notice recoil. No flinch.
And prone is the worst position for recoil, your body can't roll with the recoil, so your body has to absorb it all.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:53 PM

I will be one to tell you to put a break on it. They work and there are many out there now that don't put dirt in your face shooting prone. Last spring I put a brake on my 300 Wby it turned it into a 22-250 for real. Yes it is loud but no thought of recoil makes you shoot way better. Beside that why shoot reduced loads if you do that you might as well shoot a lesser cartrage.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
I will be one to tell you to put a break on it. They work and there are many out there now that don't put dirt in your face shooting prone. Last spring I put a brake on my 300 Wby it turned it into a 22-250 for real. Yes it is loud but no thought of recoil makes you shoot way better. Beside that why shoot reduced loads if you do that you might as well shoot a lesser cartrage.
If you are afraid of recoil adding a brake may improve your shooting , if you are not afraid of recoil it won't help your shooting, and the increased noise can actually cause a flinch, and have a negative effect on your shooting.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:44 PM

I know what you are saying Elkhunter11. I think that is what happened to my friend with his Browning Hells Canyon Long Range. He fired it out of my shooting shed without putting on his hearing protection. He can not shoot a group with that gun but only that gun. Ido believe in the long run a brake makes shooting good groups easier. I was never a fan of brakes really until I put one on my 300 Wby. It sure changed my out look on brakes No muzzle rise and no recoil just noise. In fact when shooting off hand it pushes the muzzle down. To make it so I don't have to worry when hunting I wear the walker ear protection.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:56 PM

I would try the recoil pad and the recoil pad you wear on your shoulder. That should help a lot. Adding any weight to the rifle will also help.

Before you get a brake put on I would go out with someone with a similar cal and sit beside them at the range while they shoot and shoot it. I find even with double hearing protection a brake is ignorant loud.