Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Huh...what was Calgary? Head 10 miniutes down the road to where?
oops, grabbed the wrong quote..... sorry
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Banned

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
hello :
i just got off the phone with F&W officer Ed Pirogowicz ,of calgary, he said I can hunt in the city limits of calgary with bow. you just can t hunt with in 200 yards of someone eles building or house that you don t have permission from. calgary bylaw say you can t do archery on there land. if you don't belive me call them your self, (403 297 6423). and i plan to keep hunting on the land i have permission. in the new city limits.
Wow....hard to believe.

Maybe i'll go see if i can get a deer on the side of Deerfoot or something....

I'm south of Calgary (Dewinton) and as i said, i get nothing but grief from animal lovers witch seems to bring in the F&W. I think i'll still stick to the other areas i hunt rather then deal with the local garbage.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:01 AM

Default Careful Reading

There has not been a major amendment to the City of Calgary bylaw 20M88 addressing the use of bow and arrow within City limits. From the comments I've read above, as well as those attributed to Calgary Police, the Bylaw has been misinterpreted. If Calgary Police purportedly believe that the bylaw prohibits firing an arrow with a bow within City limits, they are wrong, but with an understandably overbearing attitude towards any kind or form of weapon in the hands of the general civilian public.
The prohibition of discharging an arrow by bow is limited to what the City controls directly; that is in short, City property. City property is principally the roads, streets, alleys, sidewalks, pathways, boulevards and parks & playgrounds within the city limits.
You don't have to be standing on City property to breach the bylaw and be guilty of an offence. All that need occur is that any part of an arrow you have launched should fly "laterally, across or over" City property, by any means - which includes re-direction (deliberate or accidental) as in ricochets, bounces, and equipment failures.
But what remains, is not subject to bylaw - and that is an arrow's flight over private property, including neighbouring property, so long as no City property is encroached upon. The City bylaw does not prevent a person from practicing archery or hunting with bow and arrow in their own back yard, or in their home, or on any private property within the City.
If you are hunting, you will further be regulated by Alberta's Hunting Regulations. Additionally, you are always subject to civil and criminal liability should your activities cause damage, harm or injury to persons or property. There is no excuse of accidental or unintended damage or harm, as the law applies the maxim: "intent follows the projectile". Meaning, howsoever the harm or injury or damage occurs, through every possible misfortune (ricochets, equipment failure, accident), you are deemed to have accepted all the consequences of having care &control of the projectile prior to its discharge to the termination of its' flight.
NOTE: Two areas of concern: public access - such as parking lots, and including the front sidewalk; and easements. The front sidewalk is considered an invitation to those having some form of business or relation to the resident to enter private property and announce themselves at the front door. Public access either as a license or an easement is a troubling concept that may drift into being categorized as "public property". Best to avoid.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:14 PM

At least we can use it in our own backyard. I have a big yard and recently bought a crossbow for practice.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearAgent View Post
There has not been a major amendment to the City of Calgary bylaw 20M88 addressing the use of bow and arrow within City limits. From the comments I've read above, as well as those attributed to Calgary Police, the Bylaw has been misinterpreted. If Calgary Police purportedly believe that the bylaw prohibits firing an arrow with a bow within City limits, they are wrong, but with an understandably overbearing attitude towards any kind or form of weapon in the hands of the general civilian public.
The prohibition of discharging an arrow by bow is limited to what the City controls directly; that is in short, City property. City property is principally the roads, streets, alleys, sidewalks, pathways, boulevards and parks & playgrounds within the city limits.
You don't have to be standing on City property to breach the bylaw and be guilty of an offence. All that need occur is that any part of an arrow you have launched should fly "laterally, across or over" City property, by any means - which includes re-direction (deliberate or accidental) as in ricochets, bounces, and equipment failures.
But what remains, is not subject to bylaw - and that is an arrow's flight over private property, including neighbouring property, so long as no City property is encroached upon. The City bylaw does not prevent a person from practicing archery or hunting with bow and arrow in their own back yard, or in their home, or on any private property within the City.
If you are hunting, you will further be regulated by Alberta's Hunting Regulations. Additionally, you are always subject to civil and criminal liability should your activities cause damage, harm or injury to persons or property. There is no excuse of accidental or unintended damage or harm, as the law applies the maxim: "intent follows the projectile". Meaning, howsoever the harm or injury or damage occurs, through every possible misfortune (ricochets, equipment failure, accident), you are deemed to have accepted all the consequences of having care &control of the projectile prior to its discharge to the termination of its' flight.
NOTE: Two areas of concern: public access - such as parking lots, and including the front sidewalk; and easements. The front sidewalk is considered an invitation to those having some form of business or relation to the resident to enter private property and announce themselves at the front door. Public access either as a license or an easement is a troubling concept that may drift into being categorized as "public property". Best to avoid.

Wow, thank you for the deep dive into this issue.

It was a very interesting read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 04:16 PM

Default loophole closed?

I was told last week by an employee at Calgary Archery Centre that the loopholes have been closed this year and you can no longer shoot in your yard (within Calgary). I haven't reviewed the reg, just passing on what I've been told.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_newb View Post
I was told last week by an employee at Calgary Archery Centre that the loopholes have been closed this year and you can no longer shoot in your yard (within Calgary). I haven't reviewed the reg, just passing on what I've been told.
And that would mean that it’s illegal to shoot at CAC because I’m sure they don’t have a special license to allow archery. I’ll bet a dollar the employee was talking out his hiney.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Default From the Wildlife Act

Quote:
(kk) “weapon” means a firearm or any other device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, spring, air, gas, string, wire or elastic material or any combination of those things;
Quote:
Firearms around buildings

52(1) No person shall

(a) discharge a weapon, or

(b) cause a projectile from a weapon to pass

within 200 yards of any occupied building.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) the owner or occupant of, or the person having immediate possession or control of, the land on which the building is situated, or

(b) a person authorized to perform the activity by a person referred to in clause (a).
I would believe that the above two quotes from the Wildlife Act require you to be at lest 200 yards from any neighbouring houses. In most cases this would be the prohibiting factor.

Now before anyone steps in to say that the Wildlife Act does not pertain to using a bow in your backyard think again as the Wildlife Act contains the only legislation in Alberta that prohibits using a firearm at night. There is no Federal law that prohibits the use of a firearm at night and there is no Federal law that prohibits using a bow in your backyard. Provinces may or may not enact laws as they deem necessary.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I would believe that the above two quotes from the Wildlife Act require you to be at lest 200 yards from any neighbouring houses. In most cases this would be the prohibiting factor.

Now before anyone steps in to say that the Wildlife Act does not pertain to using a bow in your backyard think again as the Wildlife Act contains the only legislation in Alberta that prohibits using a firearm at night. There is no Federal law that prohibits the use of a firearm at night and there is no Federal law that prohibits using a bow in your backyard. Provinces may or may not enact laws as they deem necessary.

52(1) No person shall

(a) the owner or occupant of, or the person having immediate possession or control of, the land on which the building is situated, or

(b) a person authorized to perform the activity by a person referred to in clause (a).

The title of this section is very important. All firearms are considered weapons by law, but not all weapons are firearms. This section of the wildlife act only applies to firearms that meet the Section 2 and Section 84 definitions within the Criminal Code.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:05 AM

My little guy does, but I sure as hell wouldn't use an adult one within city limits--unless on the edge of city---huge margin of error
Old 06-24-2020, 09:27 AM

seem like there is some ambiguity here. Living in calgary (suburbia), i think i will keep my shooting to the range and basement.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

52(1) No person shall

The title of this section is very important. All firearms are considered weapons by law, but not all weapons are firearms. This section of the wildlife act only applies to firearms that meet the Section 2 and Section 84 definitions within the Criminal Code.
I disagree and I would not want to test ^^^^ in court. The Wildlife Act uses the term firearm and weapon separately but in the same context. It even refers to weapons that propel projectiles via a string. Having defined that, the Act further stipulates that a projectile (fired from a weapon) shall not pass within 200 yards of an occupied building.

Unintended consequences are risks that you should be willing to undertake. A backyard accident causing injury or death will surely result in as many charges as possible.

If I was to use a bow in my backyard and consequently have a neighbour complain to me about it, I would thank him for bringing it to my attention and I would surely never do it again.

Non-archers do not necessarily have the respect for the damage an arrow from a hunting bow can inflict. It would be unfortunate that a neighbour allows it as fun and games and then finds an arrow embedded through a wall in their house or worse. I think it's a situation just waiting for a terrible outcome. If you live in a high density housing setting, your backyard is not the place to shoot your bow.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I disagree and I would not want to test ^^^^ in court. The Wildlife Act uses the term firearm and weapon separately but in the same context. It even refers to weapons that propel projectiles via a string. Having defined that, the Act further stipulates that a projectile (fired from a weapon) shall not pass within 200 yards of an occupied building.

Unintended consequences are risks that you should be willing to undertake. A backyard accident causing injury or death will surely result in as many charges as possible.

If I was to use a bow in my backyard and consequently have a neighbour complain to me about it, I would thank him for bringing it to my attention and I would surely never do it again.

Non-archers do not necessarily have the respect for the damage an arrow from a hunting bow can inflict. It would be unfortunate that a neighbour allows it as fun and games and then finds an arrow embedded through a wall in their house or worse. I think it's a situation just waiting for a terrible outcome. If you live in a high density housing setting, your backyard is not the place to shoot your bow.
I agree with not using a bow in a high density population area. But your theory on a bow being included in the 200 yard rule is wrong. If your theory was correct, then it would also be illegal to shoot a sling shot within 200 yards of an occupied building. This section of the wildlife act only deal with firearms and not all weapons. Sec 51 is Firearms on Roads, Sec 52 is Firearms around building, Section 53 is discharging a firearm at night.

Here is an example for you... I have a acreage parcel that is 150 m wide by 300 meters deep. The neighbors property is the same size. Both of our houses are the same distance from the road and in the middle of our lot. That means out houses are 150 meters apart. Are you saying I couldn't shoot my bow off my back deck towards the back of my property? It would be illegal if I was shooting a gun without the neighbors permission but with a bow I am 100% good to go, as long as I am doing it in a safe manner (not contravening Section 88 C.C.) and there is no residential, municipal or county bylaw preventing the use of a bow in that area.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I agree with not using a bow in a high density population area. But your theory on a bow being included in the 200 yard rule is wrong. If your theory was correct, then it would also be illegal to shoot a sling shot within 200 yards of an occupied building. This section of the wildlife act only deal with firearms and not all weapons. Sec 51 is Firearms on Roads, Sec 52 is Firearms around building, Section 53 is discharging a firearm at night.

Here is an example for you... I have a acreage parcel that is 150 m wide by 300 meters deep. The neighbors property is the same size. Both of our houses are the same distance from the road and in the middle of our lot. That means out houses are 150 meters apart. Are you saying I couldn't shoot my bow off my back deck towards the back of my property? It would be illegal if I was shooting a gun without the neighbors permission but with a bow I am 100% good to go, as long as I am doing it in a safe manner (not contravening Section 88 C.C.) and there is no residential, municipal or county bylaw preventing the use of a bow in that area.
I can hunt on my postage stamp property in Calgary then. Good news. Tell my neighbours to mind there own business. Front yard/back yard who cares?
Old 06-26-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I can hunt on my postage stamp property in Calgary then. Good news. Tell my neighbours to mind there own business. Front yard/back yard who cares?
As long as Calgary doesn't have a Bylaw to prevent it and you are doing it in a safe manner with no danger to anyone else, you are good to go.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
As long as Calgary doesn't have a Bylaw to prevent it and you are doing it in a safe manner with no danger to anyone else, you are good to go.
You can't shoot/hunt with a bow in a safe manner on a postage stamp property.........ever. That is what we are talking about isn't it?
Old 06-26-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
You can't shoot/hunt with a bow in a safe manner on a postage stamp property.........ever. That is what we are talking about isn't it?
I wasn't responding to the entire thread and I agree that using a bow in a densely populated area is not a good idea, that is why almost every town or city in Alberta has a bylaw against it; even a lot of sub-divisions do.

What I disagreed with is your claim that a bow falls into the 200 yard regulation in the wildlife act which is meant solely for firearms
Old 07-10-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I wasn't responding to the entire thread and I agree that using a bow in a densely populated area is not a good idea, that is why almost every town or city in Alberta has a bylaw against it; even a lot of sub-divisions do.

What I disagreed with is your claim that a bow falls into the 200 yard regulation in the wildlife act which is meant solely for firearms

Of course a bow does. It's a "weapon" for the purposes of the Criminal Code - any and all offences. You can do it on your own property only because of this:

That is why you can shoot from your own house, notwithstanding it not being 200 yards - but only your house! If any other building is within 200 yards, then you can not shoot.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
Of course a bow does. It's a "weapon" for the purposes of the Criminal Code - any and all offences. You can do it on your own property only because of this:

That is why you can shoot from your own house, notwithstanding it not being 200 yards - but only your house! If any other building is within 200 yards, then you can not shoot.
I live on a 2 acre lot which is 80x120 yards (9600 square yards). Are you telling me if my neighbours on both sides tell me I can’t shoot my bow, then I can’t?
Old 07-22-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
Hey guys, Just wondering if shooting in your back yard is illegal?
So in the city of Calgary it is illegal to shoot projectile objects within the city. Also against city bylaws. Checked with the police and 311
Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K01234 View Post
So in the city of Calgary it is illegal to shoot projectile objects within the city. Also against city bylaws. Checked with the police and 311
So they’re going to close the golf Courses? A golf ball is a projectile just as much as an arrow.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:10 AM

We have golf courses and driving RANGES for that.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:26 PM

Many of you know of this suburban bow hunter in Washington DC.

https://youtu.be/L_rNwlGnXYo