Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 03:15 PM

Default Anyone used a pro resume writing service?

In the market for a new job. With Edmonton having the highest unemployment of all big metropolitan in the country, I'm thinking I'm going to need any competitive advantage possible to get my foot in the door anywhere.

I think my resume itself is OK, certainly not great but it is clean, concise, and outlines my education, previous experience and skills decently. But my cover letter is just awful and I find them extremely frustrating to write. I can only use so many ridiculous business buzzwords before it feels like I sound like an *******.

Been considering getting my resume+CL professionally done. There are about 100 different people/companies doing this, and prices sure seem to range all over the place, from ~$50 for a resume & cover letter to $200-300 just for the resume. No idea how to verify how good the end product will be either in a lot of cases.

Tempted to just go ahead with one of the slightly more expensive ones from a long time HR hiring pro--from what I hear it is all about having the right words, phrases and terms in make it through HR filtering before it gets before an actual decision makers eyes.

Anyone have a service they have used previously and can recommend?
Old 07-10-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
In the market for a new job. With Edmonton having the highest unemployment of all big metropolitan in the country, I'm thinking I'm going to need any competitive advantage possible to get my foot in the door anywhere.

I think my resume itself is OK, certainly not great but it is clean, concise, and outlines my education, previous experience and skills decently. But my cover letter is just awful and I find them extremely frustrating to write. I can only use so many ridiculous business buzzwords before it feels like I sound like an *******.

Been considering getting my resume+CL professionally done. There are about 100 different people/companies doing this, and prices sure seem to range all over the place, from ~$50 for a resume & cover letter to $200-300 just for the resume. No idea how to verify how good the end product will be either in a lot of cases.

Tempted to just go ahead with one of the slightly more expensive ones from a long time HR hiring pro--from what I hear it is all about having the right words, phrases and terms in make it through HR filtering before it gets before an actual decision makers eyes.

Anyone have a service they have used previously and can recommend?

We have a gal all work who teaches resume writing, in chat with her a lot. When you apply nowadays it needs to be specific to the job post (if it’s done online). You need to include specific words or phrases from the original posting otherwise the algorithm will send it to the reject pile. Spelling mistakes might send it there too. If it’s a really ...really good job that you really want it might we worth it to hire a pro to try and get it seen. Talking to people and networking is still best.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
We have a gal all work who teaches resume writing, in chat with her a lot. When you apply nowadays it needs to be specific to the job post (if it’s done online). You need to include specific words or phrases from the original posting otherwise the algorithm will send it to the reject pile. Spelling mistakes might send it there too. If it’s a really ...really good job that you really want it might we worth it to hire a pro to try and get it seen. Talking to people and networking is still best.
Yessir this is how I understand it all as well. What I'm really wanting is a pro done resume and cover letter, which provides me a great base to then tailor/adjust to the specific job.

No question about it though at the end of the day it is all about who you know rather than what you know. Networking has been a bit of struggle with COVID--digital networking is tough to make it be as effective as in-person, and not nearly as many wanting to go meet some random person for a coffee with a pandemic on-the-go.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM

Any pro agency resume will still need to emphasize YOU.
So you need to feed them some info to give you the edge over others.
All CV’s will state Safety conscious, honest etc, all with good grammar. But there is only one YOU.
So if you are applying for a job with a hand full of other people who have the same experiences as you, good luck.
You will need to differ from them somewhat.
Just how your res expresses you and your experience / problem solving etc, is what will set you apart.

I’m in the same boat as you.
I’ll be heading home in 4-5 months from now and I’ll be back in the job market.
I have only worked for 2 companies in 3 locations in the past 35 years.
And just recently I have put out 3-4 resumes and cover letters, and I’m no pro at resume writing.
But I have heard back from 3 already and I’m excited rather than worried, even in today’s economy.
My resume is like no other, I can guarantee that, so make sure yours is too.
Hiring committees see many hundreds and thousands of CV’s that’s are on the fence to make even the first cut.
So getting from one pile of resumes to the short list is the key.

Good luck.

TBark