Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
So what's wrong with the " Alberta Outdoors " name change, it's amazing how some people look for something everyday to be offended about.
Some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:38 AM

Alberta Outdoorsmen...Alberta Outdoors

to-may-tow...to-mah-tow

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-25-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
Ok this is the last straw, giving into the wokeness. Mods please delete my account and permanently block me. FFS
RH
I’m sure this will also offend this poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (27.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 09:46 AM

I like the new name and the minor rebranding.

Camping, hiking, biking, survival, and more has been added to the hunting, fishing, and trapping staples of the magazine. The tag line "Exploring Alberta Outdoors" is good too, because that is what most of us do.

I think a lot of the traditional topics around hunting and fishing have been covered thoroughly in the magazine and on this forum. Why not expand the the focus a bit. I know I have lots of other interests outdoors besides hunting and fishing. Probably a sound business decision for increased readership.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I know a lot of woman that are far more so called outdoorsy than us from the so called kitchen to full on survival from combat to camping.

Time for a change which is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My daughter is a cowboy. Makes her living literally riding horses and working cows.
I call her a cowboy.
With cows everything is revered to as cows regardless if steers, hfrs. Weiner's, cow/calf pairs with bulls,etc everything is just usually revered to as just cows for most part.
I strongly suspect some members actually are chicks. You can tell by their posts. I just don't know why they keep it hidden?
Old 04-25-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
Are you too lazy to delete your own account?

k
I don't think the name change is a reason to delete your account and I like the new name...
But to be fair to this user I don't think there is a way to delete your own account on this forum like many others.
At least I haven't found the option. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Once you sign up your here for life... or until you get banished.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
I like the new name and the minor rebranding.

Camping, hiking, biking, survival, and more has been added to the hunting, fishing, and trapping staples of the magazine. The tag line "Exploring Alberta Outdoors" is good too, because that is what most of us do.

I think a lot of the traditional topics around hunting and fishing have been covered thoroughly in the magazine and on this forum. Why not expand the the focus a bit. I know I have lots of other interests outdoors besides hunting and fishing. Probably a sound business decision for increased readership.
It's all about selling magazines and subscriptions. Face it the target audience of Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine is shrinking. In business if you're not changing and adapting, your falling behind. It's called progress.

BW
Old 04-25-2024, 11:18 AM

If a person is offended by the mag trying to reach a larger audience, then it's time to leave. Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out. Serious. Some of you are really unhappy and caustic people. Life ain't that bad.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:37 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If a person is offended by the mag trying to reach a larger audience, then it's time to leave. Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out. Serious. Some of you are really unhappy and caustic people. Life ain't that bad.
It is sad actually... The legitimate concerns of "Woke'ness" are quickly being eclipsed by the more extreme side of the Anti-Woke community becoming intentionally extra militant about anything and everything even the slightest bit counter to what they think Woke actually is. Instead of being a voice of reason with intelligent conversation and argument, they are becoming just as bad as the extra woke goofs who can't do anything but scream and yell about how hard done by they are.

Nobody wins when it devolves to that level.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-25-2024, 12:51 PM

I think its a great evolution of the mag. I am interested to see the content in future.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
You can tell by their posts. I just don't know why they keep it hidden?
Why would they proclaim it? Have you ever walked into a room, "excuse me, excuse me, I just wanted all of you to know that I'm a male. That will be all, thank you for your time"?
Old 04-25-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I strongly suspect some members actually are chicks. You can tell by their posts. I just don't know why they keep it hidden?

The name change and this thread is worthwhile just for this quote.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-25-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Why would they proclaim it? Have you ever walked into a room, "excuse me, excuse me, I just wanted all of you to know that I'm a male. That will be all, thank you for your time"?
Twisted does that on occasion!

Yeah, It's Rob's livelihood. Can't blame a guy for adapting to a bit of a wider audience.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm just making conversation so don't take anything I say in a hateful or serious way but if I joined a knitting ,sewing forum and called myself cougar at some point after I make friends with people and I'm talking to them for years about politics I might mention I'm a guy and married to a woman and I'm old.
Women talk about glass ceiling but in politics a lot of women seem to be pretty hard on conservative women. Not all but some.
For the record I'm all for women. Danielle Smith, Deb Grey,Kim Campbell,Rachel Thomas, etc.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:37 PM

Never paid much notice to the name change at all, not something that bothered me in the least .
Cat
Old 04-25-2024, 04:45 PM

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about it. Look at it this way, let's say the name change is accompanied by articles that feature content that bring in more readers who seek that content (eg: mountain biking, tactical outdoors knitting, etc), now those readers may wander over to some hunting, fishing or firearms articles & get a spark lit to try those out too. The community grows...
Old 04-25-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
So what's wrong with the " Alberta Outdoors " name change, it's amazing how some people look for something everyday to be offended about.
I think everyone’s likely fine with it. Just having fun given everything going on.

What other threads can we having?

Camping?
Kayaking
Mountain biking
Hiking
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-26-2024, 08:06 AM

OK, how many people here enjoy this free forum provided by "Alberta Outdoors" and subscribe to the Magazine? I do, and have for many years but I hear a lot of bellyaching and bitching and wonder how many users of this forum support it by subscribing. It is not cheap to pay for an online space like this. I usually donate my issues to local senior homes. If you do not subscribe then you have absolutely no business commenting negatively about changes.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-26-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
OK, how many people here enjoy this free forum provided by "Alberta Outdoors" and subscribe to the Magazine? I do, and have for many years but I hear a lot of bellyaching and bitching and wonder how many users of this forum support it by subscribing. It is not cheap to pay for an online space like this. I usually donate my issues to local senior homes. If you do not subscribe then you have absolutely no business commenting negatively about changes.
You don't think they make money on this forum?
Without the users, there is no forum.
They should be paying us for the solid gold content we provide.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:57 AM

IMO I can completely understand the changes - While I am the kind who like to keep certain things the way they are, that's not always the prudent way forward. At the end of the day, AO has to sell magazines and advertising space to keep the business running.

Look at the kinds of people that are starting to take up hunting - Some are discovering it as an extension to their other outdoor pursuits (camping, bushcraft, ATVing, gourmet cooking, etc.) so this evolution is following the trend.

And if it helps to raise more awareness of the positive aspects of hunting and fishing, then that's even better. I imagine that there would be some people who would buy the magazine for a camping or bushcraft article, and they would get a glimpse at the hunting/fishing articles and perhaps gain an appreciation for what we do.

The only negative thing that I can see is that it now kind of blends in with all of the other "outdoorsy" magazines on the bookshelves. But savvy marketing will ensure that it offers distinctive value going forward.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:04 AM

Both the words women and men contain “men”. That is the root of both words. I have always considered “Outdoorsmen” to be referencing both. Or am I completely misunderstanding the English language?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-26-2024, 12:23 PM

You’re not misunderstanding anything.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Both the words women and men contain “men”. That is the root of both words. I have always considered “Outdoorsmen” to be referencing both. Or am I completely misunderstanding the English language?
Just to throw the same rationale back at you, if it was called "OutdoorsWomen" would you just assume it was for men too? While you are correct about the English language, societal implications vary and change over time. How many of us still speak Old English? The answer is none...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-26-2024, 12:46 PM

Interesting thread.
I never noticed because I never even looked up there till now; I always go straight to the forums.

I've known several outdoorswomen in my life and they were far superior to "nightclub" city ditzes.
I could have fallen in love with some of them, but my wife wouldn't let me.

If these women can wield a fishing rod or handle a rifle, shotgun, or handgun, then I don't have a problem with what the 'site is called.

I repeat - I never noticed because of the "outdoorsy" women I knew over several decades.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Just to throw the same rationale back at you, if it was called "OutdoorsWomen" would you just assume it was for men too? While you are correct about the English language, societal implications vary and change over time. How many of us still speak Old English? The answer is none...
All Im saying is this is how the English language works. The word “human” has never meant the exclusivity of man. It means inclusively woman and man.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 04-26-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:03 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
All Im saying is this is how the English language works. The word “human” has never meant the exclusivity of man. It means inclusively woman and man.
There you go!!! Alberta OutdoorsHuman!! We have it fixed! Now just to convince the powers that be….
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-27-2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
There is a core group of posters on this site, probably less than 10 that are permanently offended by everything, the world is out to get them, they manage to twist every single thread into something political.

There was another earlier thread about people leaving or not posting, they are the reason. It would be a lot more pleasant site without them but they are the few who keep it alive in regards to activity.

Who cares what the magazine is called? Does it really make your life unbearable? Time for another beer.

Another thing since Im ranting, if you have 40,000+ posts, get a life and go "outdoors"

Last edited by WV911; 04-27-2024 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
There is a core group of posters on this site, probably less than 10 that are permanently offended by everything, the world is out to get them, they manage to twist every single thread into something political.

There was another earlier thread about people leaving or not posting, they are the reason. It would be a lot more pleasant site without them but they are the few who keep it alive in regards to activity.

Who cares what the magazine is called? Does it really make your life unbearable? Time for another beer.

Another thing since Im ranting, if you have 40,000+ posts, get a life and go "outdoors"
Elkhunter hasn't probably even read this thread or responded to it. Why you going after him?
I think your mood or what kind of day you are having effects how you take things. I didn't take anyone to serious on this thread. Think most of us having a laugh. I sure like women haha.
Some get tired of some people getting offended by things like outdoorsman ,fishermen, coyboy,etc,etc.
Maybe start a thread about something you want to talk about and try to take people in a good way.
Smile
Old 04-27-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post

I don’t know you, but I’d bet a helluva pile of money that 40k poster you are taking potshots at spends more time than the vast majority of us in his hunting, shooting, and fishing pursuits.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I don’t know you, but I’d bet a helluva pile of money that 40k poster you are taking potshots at spends more time than the vast majority of us in his hunting, shooting, and fishing pursuits.
This is a fact!

I will say though, being someone who gets to meet a ton of people in real life who use this forum on a regular basis, I am always shown how much online persona can be perceived much differently than the real life person. I genuinely think that if the vast majority of us got together around a campfire with some BBQ and a whisky or beer, and nobody new who each others AO handle was, we would be fast friends in very short order!

I am please to say that has happened on occasion and I am proud of those friendships developed!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca