Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
It was indeed a treat to see the 67" moose in Outdoor Quest! Also still remember some antelope footage that looked like there was an earthquake in Southern Alberta! :-)

But yeah, I've been getting pretty selective about what I watch. There is some not-so-good quality stuff, and a lot of stuff that just doesn't interest me as much. I don't get excited about waterfowl, yet-another-whitetail, or turkey, or baited black bear, South African plains game hunts, shows where 80% of the time I have to listen to a plethora of hosts and co-hosts and their buddies talk... Don't care about 4x4 shows, fishing that isn't fly fishing, how-to-make-a-food-plot, etc... but others might just love that stuff! I like exotic locations, original story lines, everything above timberline, unusual species, and more.

I could go on and on about what I do or don't like, but I could spend just as long on telling you what I do or don't like on CBC or any other TV channel. You can't please everybody all the time.

Before I got Bell and Wild TV all I had was Thomas Pigeon and that was getting a bit old.
Sorry about the antelope footage frans, I had the image stabalizer shut off and I let my crack head buddy run the camera. I thought he was on the tripod. I am still learning. We have since found professional help for my buddy and he has been clean now for almost a month.LOL
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM

In my humble opinion - which doesn't seem to have much stroke on this thread - the best outdoors show in Canada is nowhere to be seen on WildTV.
But is over on the N Channel.
The Newfoundland Sportsmen guys have such a dignified, laid back approach to hunting and angling and because Newfs all seem to have the gift of the gap they're just so darned interesting to listen too. The salmon fishing ain't bad either.
Sure they do lodge promotes. But they pull it off so it doesn't look like a total and obvious brown tongue job.
The only downside is they aren't on at a very good time for outdoorsies largely I suspect because then Global Toronto management morons have a deep and obvious resentment for anything that's distinctively Newfoundland.
Although the do run Pigeon so they're not totally bad.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
Sorry about the antelope footage frans, I had the image stabalizer shut off and I let my crack head buddy run the camera. I thought he was on the tripod. I am still learning. We have since found professional help for my buddy and he has been clean now for almost a month.LOL
Hey don't worry! :-) Looking forward to the next footage...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 AM

Why we hunt is personal and different to each person. For me it is the excitement and the day the excitement is gone is the day I'm done. Showing the excitement that animal raised in me - my very reason for hunting is the ultimate show of respect for that animal in my PERSONAL viewpoint. Your mileage may vary.
Off to start setup for the Edmonton's Sportsman show, The Largest in Canada!! YAY!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Default TV Hunting Practices

The most troubling thing to me on most of these shows is all the waste of animals that they have taken. Most of the American archery shows are the worst. They will shoot a deer or elk and have the shot on tape, and see that it is a good shot, but unless they see the animal drop right in front of them they will leave it till the next day. I unfortunetly have made a bad shot on a animal and wasn't able to recover it till the next day, depending on the tempature there is not a lot of meat you can save. I understand the process of not pressuring the animal and letting it bed down and die, but if you have confirmation of a good shot you are just wasting meat, a hour or two is more then enough time. You will hardly ever see them look for a animal in the dark, they always wait till the next day. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:28 PM

I dislike Stan Potts strongly.
I dislike Tim Wells.

Dont like watching animals get speared, blow gunned ect..