Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-22-2023, 12:08 PM

Default PAL renewal timelines and hiccups.....

I'm sure there is a specific sub section somewhere on this but....just wanted to know how long a renewal generally takes, I made the mistake of RENEWING online when I should have down graded my license from the get go due to new laws making it impossible to purchase anything that I fancy in the formerly restricted category. Anyway from online application to license in hand took no more than two weeks. Meanwhile a friend who being honest indicated marriage issues has been WITHOUT a valid PAL for over a year- has phoned in and has been handed BS about his renewal is in the cue and hasn't been looked at. My question is directed in his circumstance, is there any hope of him getting his PAL, he has been forced into an illegal situation being in possession without a license. Is there any recourse for him?
Old 12-22-2023, 01:14 PM

He probably called the CFC in N.B. which is a total waste of time. He needs to call 1-800-731-4000 ext 9026, and speak to the Alberta CFO. The Alberta CFO office can pull up his application, and see what is causing the delay.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:16 PM

I'm convinced they just let your application sit until you call. My wife and I called last week and all of a sudden it was "oh they'll be in the mail shortly" like what was the hold up? "just wanted to confirm your range membership" and "why do you have restricted firearms, is it for target shooting?"
Old 01-05-2024, 02:11 PM

Default Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
I'm convinced they just let your application sit until you call. My wife and I called last week and all of a sudden it was "oh they'll be in the mail shortly" like what was the hold up? "just wanted to confirm your range membership" and "why do you have restricted firearms, is it for target shooting?"
I had this same issue.
I sent my application in for renewal at the end of July.
Payment was on my Mastercard on September 2.
It slipped my mind over hunting season to call them.
Called them on December 15 to ask WTF?
The representative said to me on the phone, that I will approve it now and you should get your card in about 2 weeks. Never asked any questions about range membership or owning any restricted weapons.
New card arrived on January 3.
It would appear that they would sit on a renewal for ever if you never called.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:23 PM

Mine expires in Sept and I plan to get moving on it by the end of this month as I have done in years past, starting early is better than starting late.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:33 PM

I just did my renewal online and while going through the process I read that your photo must be in Jpg/jpeg format and there is a size min and max as well also very specific examples of what is acceptable and what isn’t .

Keep this in mind if you are taking your own photo with an IPhone . The iPhone uses a different format by default and you have to go into settings to change that.
There is instructions online about how to do this.

I don’t know what format other phones use but something to keep in mind when doing your application.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:26 PM

He probably called the CFC in N.B. which is a total waste of time. He needs to call 1-800-731-4000 ext 9026, and speak to the Alberta CFO. The Alberta CFO office can pull up his application, and see what is causing the delay.

Apparently this is who he is calling but cannot get the CFO to answer phone or emails.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:08 PM

I was afraid that the renewal takes 4-6 months like some people reported here. Mine came back in 4 weeks. And that includes the delay- I had to send them my photo because the one I submitted thru the online didn’t work out for them….
Old 12-22-2023, 03:48 PM

The wife renewed hers by mail in November, took under 3 weeks.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:15 PM

I would not give up my restricted status licence. With the hope that The Conservatives will cancel these laws when they get into power after the next election.

Hope springs eternal!
Old 02-12-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
I'm sure there is a specific sub section somewhere on this but....just wanted to know how long a renewal generally takes, I made the mistake of RENEWING online when I should have down graded my license from the get go due to new laws making it impossible to purchase anything that I fancy in the formerly restricted category. Anyway from online application to license in hand took no more than two weeks. Meanwhile a friend who being honest indicated marriage issues has been WITHOUT a valid PAL for over a year- has phoned in and has been handed BS about his renewal is in the cue and hasn't been looked at. My question is directed in his circumstance, is there any hope of him getting his PAL, he has been forced into an illegal situation being in possession without a license. Is there any recourse for him?
My renewal took an excessive 8 months. Can't imagine how long an initial application takes these days. A year maybe?
Old 02-14-2024, 01:03 PM

Just got my renewal in the mail today. Under 3 weeks from the time I submitted my online application. My wife is on month 6 of waiting for hers. It's a crapshoot

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2024, 03:25 PM

Default The countdown begins!

I just sent my renewal in. I wonder if I will be one of the lucky ones to get it back before the expiry date?
Old 02-14-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
I just sent my renewal in. I wonder if I will be one of the lucky ones to get it back before the expiry date?
How long did it go in before the expiry date?
Old 02-15-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How long did it go in before the expiry date?
It will expire in June. Sounds like some folks get a turnaround in weeks, while others wait up to 8 months!
Old 02-15-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
It will expire in June. Sounds like some folks get a turnaround in weeks, while others wait up to 8 months!
With over 4 months, your odds are fairly good, start calling the Alberta CFO at the beginning of May.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:32 PM

Anywhere from almost a year, to a couple of weeks. What the heck is going on. I'm sure they didn't just all of a sudden catch up.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Anywhere from almost a year, to a couple of weeks. What the heck is going on. I'm sure they didn't just all of a sudden catch up.

Perhaps the system should be run by a group other than the RCMP?
Old 03-12-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps the system should be run by a group other than the RCMP?
Maybe the chimpanzee that picks the super bowl winners is available. I don't know if he's ever gotten it right or not. But I still think it would be a good place to start.

Old 03-17-2024, 01:26 PM

I completed my online renewal February 24th.
Checked on my status Friday and it said my application has been processed and my licence issued, hopefully see it in the mail soon!

I did not get any 3 month notice on my PAL expiring from the RCMP like it said I should have on the renewal site, not surprised…..
Old 03-21-2024, 05:44 PM

Update-I checked the mail today and my new card arrived!

Have to say I was not expecting it anywhere close to this soon with it being a Federal process and other members previous long delays getting theirs.
I too may have to buy some lottery tickets….