Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2007, 08:39 PM

Mike, as always .... well said!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 PM

"Since when did the Metis get aboriginal status?
they are not aboriginal people."

Dick284, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Canadian Gov't recognize the Metis People as being aboriginal?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 PM

Section 35 of the Constitution Act [1982] provide: The existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and afirmed. In this Act, " Aboriginal peoples of Canada" include Indian, Inuit and Metis peoples of Canada.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Banned

The Parliament of Canada, contrary to oftimes published opinion, HAS the authority to amend The Constitution of Canada and NOTHING is "set in stone" in it, as many aboriginal apologists like to say. So, WE should demand that Section 35 be removed from The Constitution and NO special status for aboriginals be recognized, affirmed or given.....end of story.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
My grandfather whose ancestors were aamong the very first pioneers in Nova Scotia and fought on the Plains of Abraham, also served in WWI as a volunteer infantry officer, commanding the 9th Platoon, 21st Battalion, C.E.F.

His sons and my father and his brothers all volunteered and served in WWII in Canadian uniform and my grandfather was wounded at both Courcellette and Passchendaele in WWI, while three of my uncles were injured in WWII.

When I dare to say that this makes me equal to ANY other Canadian, well, I have had non-traditional immigrants and halfbreeds whose ancestors came here from Germany after WWII, rudely tell me that I am a "racist"....yeah, of course ANY patriotic Canuck from the founding blood of Canada is a racist, that's why American slaves and Sitting Bull and his Indians souhght shelter in the country that WE built.....

I am absolutely opposed to ANY special privilege for ANYONE on the basis of ancestry, race, colour, gender or any other criteria; I find such attitudes utterly disgusting. I witnessed the slaughter of Moose by Indians at Doucette Tower in the Slave Lake Forest in 1993 and this is a totally unacceptable situation.

WE taxpaying, hardworking, law-abiding CANADIANS have rights, TOO, and whether your ancestors came here 300+ years ago from the UK, from Italy after WWI or the Ukraine because of Laurier's and Sifton's immigration poliices just before WWI, does NOT matter, ONE CANADA equal for ALL!!!

Sorry, I get a bit passionate about this country.

Do you just cut and paste this crap? Trying to take credit for your ancestors is about as stupid as being forced to take responsibility for them and their actions. Attempting to fight the IMHA on the grounds that your people were here too or before them or your people were important is useless. This has to be dealt with by people who are prepared to live in the here and now. The IMHA does not work becuase it is independent of our system of game management. Most of us agree that subsitance hunters should be allowed to put food on the table. just adapt the current tag system(hell give them free tags) account for the animals you harvest and don't hunt trophy.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

The POINT is, that ALL Canadians ARE EQUAL and NO group should get preference due to race, heritage or any other such consideration. As to ...crap..., why don't you try to debate in a polite fashion, it tends to keep the discussion worthwhile.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 AM
700TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
As to ...crap..., why don't you try to debate in a polite fashion, it tends to keep the discussion worthwhile.

I'll just politely say
Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
The existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and afirmed. I
So how many treaties were actually signed between the Metis and the government of Canada?If there were no treaties,why should they have any treaty rights?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The POINT is, that ALL Canadians ARE EQUAL and NO group should get preference due to race, heritage or any other such consideration.
Yes that is THE POINT however it obviously is'nt YOUR POINT as you try to use this thread to promote your agenda establishing KMB's importance in the world becuase of who he "claims" he desended from. I've posted, discussed and written plenty of letters on this matter(the IMHA) and I've never felt the need to claim a point in the past as too when my ansestors arrived or what specific deed of bravery they were recognized for or how integral to the developement of the this nation they were to validate MY own opinions.

Quote:
s to ...crap..., why don't you try to debate in a polite fashion, it tends to keep the discussion worthwhile.
i'm sorry i hurt your feelings.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Stubblejumper, THAT is a very contentious point here in BC and some of us wonder WHY one group in Canada SHOULD have the right to demand "treaties" when no others DO. This is, IMO, the crux of this entire issue, the foolish, RACIST, special treatment of some Canadians for obvious political reasons.

If, we as Canadians are to accept or codify into law, especially constitutionally, a superior status for ANYONE, where will this end? My whole point and, IMO, that of other posters here who detail some of THEIR families history is to demonstrate that WE also built Canada and thus WE have equal rights in this country.

Unfortunately, Canada STILL suffers from the disruptive effects of Trudeau's ill-conceived "official multiculturalism" policy and this has intensified the attitudes among too many people that THEIR ethnic group SHOULD receive special treatment/privileges due to past injustices or supposed injustices.....and this is where the demand for these "treaties" and special agreements comes from.

It all plays into the hands of international corporate interests and ends up skrewing the ordinary Canuck in the wrong orifice, but, the never-ending sniveling of certain groups is such an opportunity for politicians who lack integrity that it is inevitable that this process will continue for years to come.

I think that an egalitarian, genuine Canadian like John Diefenbaker would go ballistic at all of this, but, this is a "different" Canada and one whose future is pretty bleak, if we allow this type of small-minded chicanery to continue. I am not too optimistic in view of what I see in the media, hear from politicians or encounter on the various 'net forums.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:07 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
think that an egalitarian, genuine Canadian like John Diefenbaker would go ballistic at all of this,
Are you referring to the John Diefenbaker that scrapped the Avro arrow to appease the Americans?

Last edited by stubblejumper; 06-30-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

You sly bugger, I KNEW you would say that when I typed the post!!! Yup, Dief certainly DID make some major screwups, but, HE, not Trudeau, was the FIRST Canadian PM to really involve non- French and non-British Canadians in Canada's political life. He also managed to get The Bill of Rights into law, a step in the right direction, IMO.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:58 PM

Kutenay, I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to get across in this thread. You babble on about what your ancestors did for Canada, the unfair special rights for some, and injustice of treaties that were signed in good faith years ago, and so on. What are you trying to say, that the treaties of the First Nations People should be scrapped? How do you justify this way of thinking. What do you have in mind. Truth be known, I doubt if the natives wrote your ancestors a letter asking them to come and encroach on thier historical lands and force them to change thier whole way of life.I assume that you feel that the treaties should have never been, and that might is right, and the natives be damned. Am I wrong? Awaiting your reply.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
-NDN-

ok everyone, lets turn that big frown upside down. <---->

you hate them, they hate you, they did this, they did that, they get this cuz you did this, blah blah meh meh meh.

now how about the BlueBombers kickin the Shiznit out of those Eskimoes?!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Metis Right To Hunt And Fish Without A License

Canceling Metis Interm Harvesting Agreement could and will prove costly to all tax payers in Alberta. This matter will end up in court costing big time $$$$, Card carrying Metis will continiue to practise thier right to Harvest and quite likely not be charged.
The Constitution Act, 1982.
S.35-{1}The existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and affirmed.
{2}In this act,Aboriginal peoples of Canada include The Indian,Inuit and Metis Peoples of Canada.
What is included within the concept of Aboriginal Rights?
Theoretically it contains the protection for activities necessary to ensure the survival of the Aboriginal people. This incudes such basic rights as the right to hunt,fish, trap, gather,language rights,The right to exercise Aboriginal Religions and Culture. It also includes the right to self-government and to occupy, possess and have the economic benefit of the lands on which the Aboriginal people historically depented.
ON June 12,2007, Metis National Council President applauds Ontario Metis Court Victory on Harvesting Rights.
Ottawa, Ot. [june 12,2007}---today, Clement Chartier, President of the Metis National Council [MNC}offered congratulations to the leadership and citizens of the Metis Nation of Ontario on their recent court victory that upholds the terms of the accommodation agreement negotiated and entered into with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.
In july 2004, the MNR and MNO entered into an interim Metis harvesting agreement which recognized the MNO,s Harvesters Card system and provided that valid MNO Harvesters Card holders, harvesting for food, would not be subject to enforcement procedures as long as conservation or safety was not at issue. Subsequent to july 7th, the MNR unilatrally imposed an arbitrary line across the middle of the province and took the position and only Metis living north of its line could benefit from the accommodation agreement. The MNO and three of its harvesters challenged the MNR,s actions. Specifically,they challenged MNR,s imposition of an arbitrary line.
IN a decision released today in North Bay,the Ontario Court of Justce agreed with the Metis harvesters and the MNO. The MNR could not unilaterally draw an arbitrary line based on its interpretation of the agreement. Based on the landmark Powly decision on Metis harvesting rights and subsequent Aboriginal rights cases, the trial judge found that the MNO-MNR Harvesting Agreement" was not merely legally defensible but a highly principled response". Based on the MNO-MNR Agreement, the trial judge stayed {dismissed} the charges against all three Metis harvesters.
Metis harvesters can harvest anywhere in the province of Ontario.
We better not get to relaxed on Alberta,s decison to cancel harvesting rights, Haresters will continue to harvest, some may go to court, but a large number carry on without charges. Election time is coming up in the near future , Our current gov. has to be very concerned about votes , they cannot afford to lose any more votes.
Just the way i see it.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:33 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Since when did the Metis get aboriginal status?
they are not aboriginal people.

you are correct Dick, the white man came before the Metis, ding ding ding ding............

cuz the white man came over, raped the indian women and children and created this nation everyone dispises and feels hatred for. Half this forum is bitching about thier own creation
Old 06-30-2007, 08:20 PM

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. This weird homoerotic obsession with PET'S Ghost is weird(even for the internet) KMB.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 PM

well put NDN - about time someone said it like it is........
Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NDN- View Post

cuz the white man came over, raped the indian women and children and created this nation everyone dispises and feels hatred for. Half this forum is bitching about thier own creation
That is wrong NDN and you know it.Yes I'm sure some rape happened but you are painting all white men with the same brush.

Just as some white men are painting all indians with the same brush.

You are just as guilty as the rest of us when it comes to rascism..

White bucket clan ring a bell??
Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester70 View Post
That is wrong NDN and you know it.Yes I'm sure some rape happened but you are painting all white men with the same brush.

Just as some white men are painting all indians with the same brush.

You are just as guilty as the rest of us when it comes to rascism..

White bucket clan ring a bell??

i dunno, thats what its called by the locals. they even call them selves that. They all have white buckets. What more do you want me to say? I do not feel i said anything out of line on that topic. not one bad comment about their nationality or the way they live life or go about thier business in the community.

i dont think i was painting anyone. who else was raping, the mexicans? Oh yes, there was other situations im sure of it, maybe Fergy's couple posts got me in a good mood. I dunno, i try not to pay attention to the Metis background, just told they are European and Aboriginal decent im not the first to get heated on this forum, and you know it

Last edited by -NDN-; 07-01-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:26 AM
-NDN-

http://www.allstatesflag.com/fotw/flags/ca_metis.html

maybe i was a bit harsh in using the word rape, but hey.

from the above link

Quote:
The Metis nation was born when French Canadian coureurs des bois (almost exclusively men) settled in the Prairies with Indian women.

i like this quote
Quote:
What matter is it what part of our blood is European or Indian ? We are the Metis. Our people was born in the Prairies.
Luc-Vartan Baronian - 19 December 1997
Old 07-01-2007, 03:56 PM

French Canadian men eh, good let Quebec deal with the issue.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Default About Time!

Finally there is hope. If their concern is really feeding there families then let them shoot the whitetail does or keep them on their settlement where I'm not allowed to hunt. This is Alberta and these folks should be more than able to afford to go to the grocery store. If you don't have a job in this province then you don't want to work.