Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Chris Benoit Dead

Hey all, I dont follow wrestling, but figured this was worth posting as Chris was a Canadian....and from what I saw of him was a 'good guy' at promoting wrestling...

WWE wrestler Chris Benoit and family found dead
BY ALFONSO A. CASTILLO
alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

June 25, 2007, 8:58 PM EDT

Renowned pro wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old-son, were found dead Monday afternoon in their Fayetville, Ga. home, Atlanta police said.

Police would not give any details on how Benoit, 40, his wife Nancy, and son Daniel died, other than to say they were not shot to death, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported Monday. Authorities are investigating the deaths.

The news came just a day after Benoit mysteriously pulled out of a World Wrestling Entertainment pay per view event, during which he was expected to be crowned Extreme Championship Wrestling world champion. Various pro wrestling news sources reported that Benoit was unable to appear at the event due to a family emergency.

"There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities," the WWE said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was a 22-year ring veteran and perennial favorite of wrestling purists, who praised his high-intensity style and technical acumen. His aggressive wrestling technique earned him the nicknames "The Crippler" and "The Rabid Wolverine." In 2000 and 2004, he was named Oustanding Wrestler of the Year by the Wrestling Observer newsletter and in 2004 he was named Wrestler of the Year by Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine.

The Edmonton, Canada native trained to become a wrestler in Calgary, and honed his skills in Japan before becoming a regular on U.S. national promotions in the mid-1990s. Benoit's career highlight took place in New York, when he won his first World Wrestling Entertainment world heavyweight championship in Madison Square Garden in the main event of WrestleMania XX.

Benoit cried as he celebrated in the ring with his wife and son, as well as best friend, wrestler Eddie Guerrero, who died in 2005.

"Wrestling has consumed my life," Benoit said in a 2004 WWE career retrospective video. "Wrestling is my mistress. It's my passion. It defines who I am as a person."

WWE last night canceled its scheduled live 3-hour "Monday Night RAW" program, which coincidentally was originally billed as a "memorial service" for WWE chairman Vince McMahon, whose character was recently killed off in a controversial scripted storyline.

McMahon opened the show from center ring in an empty arena and clarified that Benoit and his family had died "in reality." McMahon called Benoit "one of the greatest WWE superstars of all-time."
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Not a huge fan of wrasslin anymore, but the Rabid Wolverine was on of the best that our country produced. Sad news fer sur.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 PM
50BMG

RIP Canadian Crippler
Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
-NDN-

oh man, weird news. he was a personal favorite of mine, when i was actually a wrestling fan.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 PM

That is shockingly terrible news. Benoit was a true professional and one of the best 'technicians' ever.

He broke his neck a few years ago and was never the same since his comeback (never should have with that type of injury IMHO).

Although it is scripted, the athletic ability of some of those guys is unbelievable. They take some crazy knocks! However the perpetual black cloud of steroid use will always hang with them, and there are far, far too many great wrestlers who have passed before their time.

Tree
Old 06-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

Looks like it was murder/suicide

http://www.wwe.com

Jamie
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Winchester70

Looks like it may be a murder-suicide.If that's the case I hope he rots in hell.

Christ,his son was only seven years old..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM

Yep...that sucks....
Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester70 View Post
Looks like it may be a murder-suicide.If that's the case I hope he rots in hell.

Gotta agree with ya on that one. However all of the pieces are not in place yet and if it was Benoit who was responsible, I'm not sure that the WWE would have killed the McMahon storyline and cancelled Raw for a rememberance show on such short notice for someone who just killed his family. The possibility exists that maybe his wife is responsible as he had cancelled his apperance to travel home for a family emergency. Pure specutation at this point, and quite frankly pointless as two adults and a child now lie dead.

Tree
Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM
-NDN-

yep, if those reports are true, no sympathy from me other than to his family.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:

some nerve condeming someone to hell before the facts are brought to light
you assume chris kill the wife and kid how do you know its not the other way around as in the case of phil hartman of saturday night live fame where his wife shot and killed him then herself
Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamer View Post
some nerve condeming someone to hell before the facts are brought to light
you assume chris kill the wife and kid how do you know its not the other way around as in the case of phil hartman of saturday night live fame where his wife shot and killed him then herself
Your reading comprehension is lacking..go back and read it again....slower this time.

I said "IF"....BTW...Did you read the story in my link?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 AM

Unfortunatelly we are all just going to have to wait for the details to emerge. I'm not a die hard wrestling fan, but I follow it in passing. It is certainly an industry that 'chews up and spits out' its talent! There is no bright side to this one.

Tree
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 AM

Default wondered about the tribute tonite

I was thinkin the same thing that they wouldnt do a tribute show telling how good a guy he was if it was his doings. Anyway its terrible what happened.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
smokinjoe

Add the intense steroid use into the equation, and it pretty much adds itself up.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 AM
PainKiller

Angry Hell

Quote:
Looks like it may be a murder-suicide.If that's the case I hope he rots I hope he rots in hell.

2x on this one I hope he rots in hell too.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM

The authorities are saying Chris somehow killed his wife and son over the weekend and then on Monday killed himself. They don't believe a gun was involved....It will be interesting to hear how this unfolds.

Most of those guys are steroid junkies with over inflated ego's. Yes they are great athletes but WWE wrestling is as fony as fony comes.
Monday Night Raw did a three hour tribute to Benoit. I suppose they had to act fast before the real facts are revealed. IMO the tribute should have been for his wife and seven year old son.

They say Benoit was a very quite and private individual. They say he never let too many people into his personal life. His wife also managed several different wrestlers. God only knows what kind of sex scandals and love triangles go on in the world of the WWE.
It's usually the quiet ones you have to watch!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Default I was gonna say...

I was gonna say if he did infact murder his wife and 7 year old son, the first few posts were praising how good of a guy/wrester he was. Not that good if he could do that to his family.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0.../dead_wrestler

x3 for rot in hell

Beth
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
Add the intense steroid use into the equation, and it pretty much adds itself up.
This could very well be part of the equation. I knew a guy who I later found out was a steroid monkey. He could go from literally being one of the nicest guys that I knew to a freak show that I was scared for my life to be around in the matter of one second. I also witnessed a guy who was quite obviously on steroids lose his mind while playing baseball against him a few years ago. After losing his temper on a play, he left the field and then came back on the diamond with a bat, looking to hit anyone who happened to be the closest to him. His own team mates couldn't even control him. 'Roid Rage is scary to witness, not that it is an excuse to kill one's own family.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly & Beth View Post
I was gonna say if he did infact murder his wife and 7 year old son, the first few posts were praising how good of a guy/wrester he was. Not that good if he could do that to his family.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0.../dead_wrestler

x3 for rot in hell

Beth

if you look, the first few posts were made before Jamie posted another link informing the forum about the murder homocide.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 AM

NDN, why aren't you out fishing ???
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press Tuesday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

This makes me sick.
I can see how someone could get that angry at another adult, but why the kid? Especially when it is your son. I have a very very tough time spanking my kids. How could you ever do that to a small child. It boggles my mind. I love my kids so much I could never hurt them or see any harm come to them. I would hate to see the level of my anger if they were ever hurt. I don't think I could control myself.

WWE or WWF what ever they are called these days needs to be shut down. They had to know what was going on or at least had a clue. This man didn't deserve any recognition.
I have never liked the WWF I put in on the same level as Springer. However I did enjoy stampede wrestling when I was kid.
I really hope there is a MASSIVE outcry against this so called sport and its promoters once all the facts are reveled.

x4 or whatever for the rot in hell comments

Jamie
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Some of the comments on this thread are really funny......guys like Tuc telling others that wrestling is 'fony'.....like he's talking to a group of 6 year olds who didnt know otherwise....

Whats with the sex-scandals and love triangles comment???

And Kelly/Beth....yes I praised that he was a good guy to the sport. He was from all that I'd ever seen a very good ambassador and seemed like a decent guy. I of course posted that before the true events were revealed about murder-suicide and obviously think that something went really wrong really quick. Obviously I wouldnt praise how 'good a guy' he was for killing his family....

Also, I'm sure the WWE tribute show wasnt done quickly to 'cover things up'. I think at the point they did the show, they all thought carbon monoxide poisoning, as had been written, and a horrible accident. The WWE had a 'mock tribute' planned the same night for Vince McMahon, who they had killed 'in WWE world'. I guess Vince came out and made the announcement himself that Chris had died in 'real world', and they had the tribute for him, probably before knowing that he was involved in a murder suicide....

Interesting how this thread has played out......
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
NDN, why aren't you out fishing ???

cuz aparently, no one wants to run into winnipeg yet i dont care for fishing the assinnibione. Plus i tried for 5 minutes and i had 8 wood ticks on my leg
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM

Jamie,
Why should the WWE be shut down? There are just as many actors, athletes, etc out there doing horrible things to their families. It makes me sick to hear such events happened, but I really dont think you can blame the WWE as they are pretty much just a 'joke entertainment' and meant to be such.....

Roid use stretches MUCH MUCH further than the WWE.....what about bodybuilding, baseball, football, sports??
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM

BTW,
I dont watch WWE....havent since I was in grade 5 or 6.....but I dont think they are to blame for a horrible horrible event like this.....just figured I'd clarify as I'm really not supporting WWE....just not condoning them I guess.....
Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Jamie,
Why should the WWE be shut down? There are just as many actors, athletes, etc out there doing horrible things to their families. It makes me sick to hear such events happened, but I really dont think you can blame the WWE as they are pretty much just a 'joke entertainment' and meant to be such.....

Roid use stretches MUCH MUCH further than the WWE.....what about bodybuilding, baseball, football, sports??

one reason to shut it down is that so many kids think its real, and have wrestling matches at home, pile driving and body slamming friends off the top of house roofs. many kids die and get injured. Yeah, say where are the parents, but reality is to many parents babysit thier kids with video games and other means of not having to be there.

another reason, wrestling hasnt been good to watch of have a decent script since that earthquake and typhoon have been around.

holy off topic, LOL
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 AM

Haha....okay the script part I do completely agree with......no doubt about that....haha...

And ya.....I can see other reasons that you mention about kids thinking its real, etc and hurting....but hardly a reason to 'ban' something as you might as well ban shows with guns, fights, etc as well......its entertainment, and parents DO need to decide what their children will watch and not watch, and educate properly....WWE is hardly the most violent show on TV out there.....
Old 06-26-2007, 12:01 PM
-NDN-

yeah, ill agree with that last comment. still, they should take it off air and put more hunting and fishing shows on
Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Banned

OK, I could spout about Violence and sexuality..
But to be honest I have always had a soft spot for the guys from Calgary.. And look what it has done to all of them

Bad news Allen DEAD
Davey Boy smith Dead
Owen Hart Dead
Benoit Dead
Brett Hart- Stroke and massively screwed by the WWF

I know there are others, and I guess this doesn't add up to much.. But I hate the WWF for wreaking wrestling as I knew it.

I blame the steroid abuse and the machine that demands it and the ass hat who runs it.

WWE doesn't add one good thing to this world. In fact you can feel the IQ drop in the room when it is on.
I actually went to Monday night RAW when it was here in Calgary. We sat in a suite and I got to watch all the people dressed up as there favorite star. Now what really got to me was the 6'4" guy who was dressed as one of the female wrestlers. SHIVVVVVVVEEEERRRRRR

I know I am running at the mouth and this is one of my weaker if not weakest arguments I have ever made here... But I HATE THE SPORT it is today. I really really hope that the WWF knew about this before they showed Benoit in a 3 hr special. I want it shut right down. Useless garbage taking up precious oxygen

Jamie