Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 11:30 PM

Default Septic sytem

I'm having trouble with my septic. The field is not draining properly, made too small to start with and the soil doesn't drain great. It is sandy soil but very fine and doesn't dry well. House not very old, about 8 years. Been here for 2.

I'm going to have to replace, I could add another field but I expect to run into problems again. A mound system would work but due to my yard and house size going to be expensive.

Another option I've been given is a treatment sytem. Advantex by Orinco, RT-RX. Seems interesting as I'm getting a good deal. Installer would be first time and getting help from company rep. Giving me a deal. Would be Less disruptive to the yard.

I have had a couple of septic guys out.

Anyone have experience with at grade systems? My yard is a challenge as I'm on a hill with poor access to heavy equipment on the septic side for part of it. Lots of digging or get a directional driller. Looks really nice, but unfortunately creates a problem.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2018, 12:30 AM

Are they going to use infiltrator pipe for the field ? They say it needs half the space as the old pipe system .We had ours done about 10 years ago with it seems to work well.We have very fine sand where we are to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He6CAQr8X6E
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 AM

I just finished redoing my system much like yours except mine was 30 years old we re in a very sandy area . after months of research ended up going with an at grade system and bored it in I’m only a month into it but so far so good it’s just too steep nd messy to trench down hill especially in sand where it constantly sluffs in it was bad enough trenching the top part good luck
Old 09-16-2018, 08:39 AM

tony d which brand of at grade system did you go with?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Very surprised a sandy soil area would not have good percolation rate. Suggest dig a 3 ft hole/1 ft diameter and pour 5 gal pail of water, time how long to drain. Standard test to check soil for field design.
Most fields fail after heavy sludge build up from no screen in septic tank and tanks not cleaned of sludge by vacuum truck every 1-2 years.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:13 AM

Big Grey Wolf, that's what I would think as well. I had another opinion from a guy that does septic. He said they used to use the sand from this area at one time but the code changed. Not good for draing.

Drilled a couple of holes when first trying to figure out what the problem was. Nobody suspected the soil . This was done early August when we had temps in the 30s. I kicked the pile of sand sitting on the lawn for a week. Still wet , only maybe 1.5 -2 inches was dry on to outside. This is a hole done with a post auger about 3 feet down. Not a big pile of sand. Should have been dry with those temps. Really holds the moisture.

Frustrating as it could rain for a week solid and there probably wouldn't be a puddle in my yard.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:34 PM

Hogie, pour 5 gallon pail into hole and time it. If it is matter of minutes your area is prime for septic field of modest size. You can look up actual test on computer. Not good time to test with all snow/rain as hole probably filled.
If you put in new field put in good size especially if have large family.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:02 PM

We replaced our 20 year old septic tank and field with a advanced water treatment system and at grade last fall.
The existing tank and field were undersized, and also sandy soil. We had the option of adding another tank and a new field, this would require two pumps, more to go wrong and the field on the front lawn, wife didn’t like that. The cost was double the price of the conventional tank and field, the upside fields in the bush out of the way. The at grade was installed on a side hill, all the work was done by hand and shovel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 PM

Never heard of Westcon, another option.

What is the maintenance like for them? That's the one thing with this other system that I need to get priced out. It sound like once a year but it is a monitored system. Have to set up the dosing times so it works properly, from what I've researched. Extra costs that haven't been told to me.

For your discharge did you have run infiltrator system with wood mulch cover? That what they say for this. I'd rather it runs down hill. Easy.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Septic sytem

[QUOTE=hogie;3841970]Never heard of Westcon, another option.

What is the maintenance like for them? That's the one thing with this other system that I need to get priced out. It sound like once a year but it is a monitored system. Have to set up the dosing times so it works properly, from what I've researched. Extra costs that haven't been told to me.

For your discharge did you have run infiltrator system with wood mulch cover? That what they say for this. I'd rather it runs down

The tank is made by Westcon
The first year of maintenance is covered by contractor, from what I was told it’s easy to maintain , due in October. Yes it has a monitored system, that can be downloaded on Flash drive. The infiltrator system was covered in wood chips and we add leaves so it blends in. The company that supplied and installed it was Ground Effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ddawg; 09-16-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 PM

Ended up using a jet bat system as that was what worked out to be most cost effective