Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2018, 04:16 PM

Default Gas heater

Im looking to put a propane heater in my 6x12 enclosed trailer that i am building into a hunting/ camping trailer. What ideas do you all have fora direct vented heater? Just something small.
Thanks for any help
Old 08-25-2018, 04:48 PM

Default ix

I would stick with Dometic, they serve a lot of the RV market and they have a wide selection. I would avoid anything sourced ‘offshore’ because you might want parts for it someday. As far as sizing goes, your insulation level will be as important as your trailers size. I’ve never had to size heating for a trailer but I bet a 15,000 btu unit would suffice, considering that a 30,000 takes care of a 24’ x 24’ garage quite nicely.

https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pro...imate/furnaces
Old 08-25-2018, 07:38 PM

I went with a unit like this (20’000 btu)for a 8x14’ fishing shack. No electricity needed, self regulating heat so no need to get up every 10 minutes and adjust it. And it runs flawlessly on a 30lb bottle over 3 days minimum before a changeout at -25. It runs probably a 50% duty cycle once the room is up to temperature and has never “froze” off either.

Search “gas heater”

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humid...ter/1360737076

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2018, 10:02 AM

Default Gas heater

I pulled one out of a camper for this reason. I got it for free along with alot of other good things out of this camper that was to be junked. Dont have it installed yet but function tested first at home after removed and works fine. You need to take the thermostat and need a 12 volt battery power supply and a propane supply.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM

Guys, only comment is be sure to have some combustion air coming in to trailer and be careful with old trailer units, be sure all fittings etc up to par. Lost a fellow hunter last year with horse trailer and propane heater by Rocky. I like the safe set up by Half Pick.