Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 PM

Default Baseball on TV

NOT about baseball.

I was watching the opening of something to do with baseball.

A long line of recipients of the highest military honour the US dispenses on their personal military citizens.

I do know Canada utilized Queen Victorias Cross for a time, and now know this nations highest honour.

I don't believe Canada is a required nation of said excellence, but it got me to thinking outside of Nov 11.

Do we have a place that is openly acceptable of displaying our military members accomplishment?

I'm no poet, so my wording may be taken out of context.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 AM
Banned

The criteria to award The Victoria Cross is incredibly strict. There hasn’t been one awarded in Canada since WWII and in total there have only been 99 awarded to Canadians. Many were awarded posthumously. In 1996 I had the honour to shake the hand of a Victoria Cross recipient at the Seaforth Highlander Regiment armouries in Vancouver. The stories of how these Soldiers earned their medals are absolutely incredible and can be found here:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...oss-recipients

There are other medals that are awarded for acts of bravery such as the Military Medal. My Grandfather was a recipient in WWI. He was awarded it on a Militray parade by a very high ranking General. I know of three Soldiers that I served with in the ‘90’s that have been awarded a medal for bravery (not sure which one). They were invited to a reception in Ottawa and were awarded the medal by the Governor General.

The short story is that Canadians have a very strict criteria for bravery medals and don’t award as many medals for individual acts of bravery as some other countries.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:20 AM

The Americans give out medals like candy. Just look at some of their generals, most have around 50.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
The Americans give out medals like candy. Just look at some of their generals, most have around 50.
Yup, clasps, ribbons, medals.....I met a fella during my earlier years in the military, decked out and I asked him how long had he served he replied 6 years....made my uniform look plain in comparism but I guess it makes them feel good and keeps the moral up....kinda like our society now where everyone gets at least a ribbon of some sort.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup, clasps, ribbons, medals.....I met a fella during my earlier years in the military, decked out and I asked him how long had he served he replied 6 years....made my uniform look plain in comparism but I guess it makes them feel good and keeps the moral up....kinda like our society now where everyone gets at least a ribbon of some sort.....
I served 26 years during the 60's thru the 80's and retired with the CD and clasp. I see young service persons today wearing 5 or 6 ribbons.

I might get another one as the RCAF Assoc. has applied to the government to come out with a medal for those who served in Canada during the cold war.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The stories of how these Soldiers earned their medals are absolutely incredible and can be found here:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...oss-recipients
Thanks for the link, some good reading. It's humbling to read about how brave these men were.