Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 PM

Default Thinking about a hot tub purchase

I think we've decided to buy a hot tub for the backyard. Never owned one before so I would love to hear the pro's and con's of owning one. I've done some research on them and I see that there are several different manufacturers in Edmonton. Any thoughts about which brand name to choose from? It looks like Beachcombers and Arctic Spa are reputable hot tubs. I see that Costco sells the Beachcomber once in a while and Evolution tubs all the time. Lots to choose from. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:10 PM

Default Hottub

I own an Arctic Spa, love it... prepare to spend $15,000-$20,000...the salt water and Spaboy are low maintenance... very efficient tub, minimal cost per month to operate... made in Thorsby,Ab... just my 2 cents
Old 04-26-2018, 03:19 PM

Don't do it, we bought one last year. Just an expensive maintenance headache that only the kids seem to use. It did make me re-do my deck though, so there's that
Old 04-26-2018, 03:24 PM

I have had several. I always bought refurbished from a dealer. You can get them for 1/10th the cost if you buy used. Keep your ph and alkalinity in line and enjoy the stars at night. A really well insulated tub with a good cover will cost 75-100$ per month to heat and chemicals will run 20-40 with filter changes every couple months.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-26-2018, 04:29 PM

Heating costs
Water drainage for water changes.
Water loss. Icicles forming in winter
Good cover
Flips open
Easily accessible piping for repairs
Level level level. Having problems with ours
Cost of and replacement frequwncy and availability of filters.
Size how many people
Ease of cleaning

I need a new one.

If we get a few people in Calgary wanting hot tubs and go to the same store...buy separately but at the same time. We could get better pricing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-26-2018, 05:06 PM

Simple enough, go onto kijji and look for a used tub.

Take someone along, and see it running. Check the control boards.

Get the biggest one you can get, and that will be easy to find used.

Take the thing in and get an aftermarket shop to go through it before you install it. Resistance on heaters will tell you if they are ready to fail, and is easily checked. Pumps can be checked, lines can be checked, and you can have a UV Light Filter cut in to help with the bacteria and algae problems.

All brands use the same control boards, pumps, fittings, etc. There are only a few makers of these things, so do not believe for a minute that Arctic Spa, or Beachcomber, has a better board and pump than the next guy. They did not build the components that matter. All they did was vacuum form the acrylic, use the same fittings to do the plumbing, and use the same expanding foam as the next guy.

Buying used and getting it refurbished before install will save you 50 % or more.

I have one friend that got a 6 man tub for $300 that was a few years old. He had to round up a crew and get a deck trailer to move it, but that was it. You can do a lot of work on a tub with the extra $ in your pocket.

As for maintenance, keep the Midnight Passion bubble bath out of it, and tell the kids to shower off the suntan lotion before going in the tub. The Filters will thank you, and without the bubble bath, there will be fewer unwanted pregnancies.

Drewski
Old 04-26-2018, 06:21 PM

We bought a used Spaberry last fall. Pretty awesome little tub. No good for bigger families though.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Banned

Artic spa with pool boy system,,,, bit of cash but takes away all the work,,google is your friend
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 PM

The one Costco carries once in a while is Beachcomber and if I remember correctly it runs for about 7000. It looked like a decent tub. I don't want to spend 15k. And I have a family member that can do the wiring (220). Great feedback guys. Thank you. I might go to that mini hot tub show at the Expo centre this weekend.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 PM

Heard there is a big show and sale in Edmonton this weekend. Supposedly up to 50% off
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have had several. I always bought refurbished from a dealer. You can get them for 1/10th the cost if you buy used. Keep your ph and alkalinity in line and enjoy the stars at night. A really well insulated tub with a good cover will cost 75-100$ per month to heat and chemicals will run 20-40 with filter changes every couple months.
Yep, definitely keep the PH in check and rinse off before getting in. Parents had one growing up and we got a bit lazy with it one winter.... Words fail to describe the sludge that built up. I believe we got rid of it soon after...They sure are fun though in the evening after coming home from rec hockey or shoveling snow etc...
Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 PM

How handy are you?

If you are handy, buy a beater (I do like Arctic Spa) off kijiji and rebuild the sucker. Add an ozone generator and a bromine system and forget about water maintenance. You will be into it about $5k. Check the bromine levels every now and then (one a month if you are feeling ambitious) and change the water when they get out of wack (twice a year for our usage).

If you aren't handy... expect to spend a lot up front (the cost of a small car) and even more on maintenance if you don't buy one with the ozone/bromine system.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:40 PM

I bought an older Beachcomber. One of the ones where the pump runs all the time. I think we spent $3800 on a refurb one from a place in Fernie.

I was dreading the electricity bill. It went up from $110 every other month to about $125 every other month. So from $55/month to $63 a month.

I make everyone shower before using it. Cuts down on the amount of chlorine used drastically and the alkalinity/pH is easy to maintain as well. Check it weekly and adjust.

No experience with the saltwater ones.

We tried aquafinesse. It gave the ol' lady a rash.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 AM

Default Hot Tubs

I am in the home renovation business. We have never installed a new one yet in 25+ years. I cannot count how many we have removed and thrown away. The common consensus is people get tired of them real fast. Some of one we tossed in the trash were brand new. Couldn't even give away the new ones.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I am in the home renovation business. We have never installed a new one yet in 25+ years. I cannot count how many we have removed and thrown away. The common consensus is people get tired of them real fast. Some of one we tossed in the trash were brand new. Couldn't even give away the new ones.
Just like gym memberships, many people buy them, but most people soon stop using them. I have one because the Mrs wanted one so bad, but now it hardly gets used.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just like gym memberships, many people buy them, but most people soon stop using them. I have one because the Mrs wanted one so bad, but now it hardly gets used.
It really comes down to ease of access. Ours is out the back door...down the deck and around to the other side of the deck.

In winter a bit of a pain...but just deciding three times a week you will soak even when cold really pays off.

Less joint pains...relaxes you. Takes the stress away.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-27-2018, 12:03 PM

I think they are like pool tables. Great at first, then the novelty wears off...
Old 04-27-2018, 12:34 PM

We put one in (refurbished $4000.00 installed) last September and it is 3 steps out the back door. I installed an infrared heater for when getting in & out. We use it 2-3 times a week.

The GF stays on top of the chemistry and it stays pretty clean. We will be doing our spring drain & re fill soon. Definitely feel it on the power bill!

As said before there is nothing like soaking those stiff muscles and sore bones, especially with a glass of good wine or scotch.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 PM

Just got in the house from a nice soak in the hot tub. We've had this one for 5 years and the previous one for ten years (only got a new one because we built a new house). We use it at least once a week, a little less in winter.
Our power bill went up about $25-50/month. We use bromine for the water and check it a couple times a month.
As already said, just make sure you're clean before getting in and your water and filter will thank you.
Don't waste you money on extra stuff like a stereo, spend the money on as many jets as possible.
Some people get them and never use them and others (like us) can't imagine not having one.
Not much feels better for a sore aching body after a long day, especially if you have arthritis.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:21 AM

I have owned a arctic spa for just a little over a year use it 2-3 times a week I added the stereo and was the best thing I did would of found it to boring with out the music and probably wouldn't use it as much and yes lots of jets.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:33 AM

I was in a SpaBerry once and loved it. Two person with a small foot print.
Small enough for a couple people to move with a half ton. Not too sure on how much they cost.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM

I’d have one if I was the only person that was allowed to use it. Throw a second person in it though and I kind of get grossed out.

Something about using someone else’s bath water really turns me off. Well, unless that someone else was a young hot nubile...think Keira Knightley...then I suppose I could make an exception...