Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
Lol no they pay terrorists!!
Haven't seen that yet, but i know you won't agree with that.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What is more important, free speech or people’s feelings?

I haven’t watched the video but barring the guy overtly threatening violence I don’t think there should be charges in relation to his words. Shoving etc obviously will result in charges.
A racist can be a racist and nothing we say will likely change their mental problems.

However likely what allowed charges is the assault was done as a result of his racist verbal attack and therefore a reasonable case linking his racism to the assault.

You can spew racist remarks on a forum.. penalty is a ban hammer. You say those things in person to someone... people walk away shaking their heads. You say those things and then hit someone. You up a creek and going to visit a room with an outside door lock.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
We'll said!, the definition of equal must have changed for when I was taught what it meant. I'm not saying it's fine to start calling people ignorant names, but man get over it, we all get names called towards us, some just carry on. But there's the phone out recording it, didn't catch the very start only the end, Anymore it's just stupid, everything is a racist statement on the bigger scale and that's how our enemies are shutting us up on everything so they can continue to push their ways. They don't get their ways it's racism.

It's ok for a black to call another black a n.gger but when another color does it it's racist, to me the word would be bad no matter who says it. Just sayin.....
I don't think you understand cultural sensitivities as you have never experienced what you are proportimg to complain about not being equal.

Assuming you are a white middle aged male...the saying goes until you walk in someone else's shoes you can't begin to understand what it is like.

Some people say women should just tell a pervert to back off and move on. I for one am very happy women have been empowered to fight back and stand up to unwanted sexual advances.

You comment on name calling above showed you do need some real education on this matter.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I don't think you understand cultural sensitivities as you have never experienced what you are proportimg to complain about not being equal.

Assuming you are a white middle aged male...the saying goes until you walk in someone else's shoes you can't begin to understand what it is like.

Some people say women should just tell a pervert to back off and move on. I for one am very happy women have been empowered to fight back and stand up to unwanted sexual advances.

You comment on name calling above showed you do need some real education on this matter.
Well said Sir.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
There's a difference between being called a name and being labelled because of the color of your skin. This grocery shopper did more than call someone a name.

Unfortunately, racists aren't shutting up, they're getting louder.

There's a reason for that ^

Hardcore racists are getting fewer, and more desperate ... and in their desperation, they're getting louder.

Even the KKK is only a shadow of what it used to be.

Selkirk
Old 12-30-2017, 11:19 AM

My question is what kind of man stands there watching that and does nothing?

As so many here love to whine about the downfall of society that's where I could see it happening. Not in drunk driving laws or a change in the gun laws but in a grown man behaving like that and the only vocal objector is a woman. No men moving to stop him.

I hope he gets what's coming to him.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 AM

Arrow 'Bystander Effect'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post

As so many here love to whine about the downfall of society that's where I could see it happening. Not in drunk driving laws or a change in the gun laws but in a grown man behaving like that and the only vocal objector is a woman. No men moving to stop him.

The 'Bystander Effect' has been around for thousands of years, going back even farther than the biblical story about The Good Samaritan.
It's not about society 'now', it's about society 'always' ... sadly, it's part of the human condition.

Bystander Effect; https://www.google.ca/search?source=...90.BbTLBo6FG7k
Videos; https://www.google.ca/search?q=bysta...w=1681&bih=859

Selkirk
Old 12-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Do they? How's that?

They've gone around calling folks bomb making xxxx because they're not white? I missed that.
Oh boy....not going into it....another thread scrap....maybe tomorrow...good luck eh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:

If there were no cameras and you got a pat on the back, a can of beans upside the head would have silenced the clown but then you are the one doing the explaining as your carted off to cells...sad situation all around.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Throw the book at him! I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for that kind of stupidity

His lawyer will plead it was a momentary lapse in judgment and paint him as an otherwise outstanding model citizen with a job, wife and kids

How much ya wanna bet he only gets a suspended sentence?
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well for one, you obviously have something to say about what I think.

And as soon as people start saying “you can’t say that” then all hope is lost.

Do we really want to start restricting what people say? Public humiliation will take care of boneheads like this guy, but as far as criminal charges - that is a slippery slope.

Any physical actions, or threats of violence, is a different case.
Yup, when they start making uninformed, idiotic comments...I'm all for restricting them.
Of course, you kind of have history there, don't you?
Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Did you see the good samaritan in Calgary who recently jumped in to help a fellow, they buried him about a week after the incident. I'm not saying I wouldn't jump in and help if some innocent guy or gal was getting pummelled, but just be aware that you need to be ready to die for your intervention, or with all the cameras on you now, be ready for a law suit to come your way. You need to make the right call based on the threat. If someone is throwing a verbal rant, let him/her go ahead and if it's on video, the authorities are going to take him to the cleaners. What are you as a bystander going to do? Throw a punch? Tackle the person, or jump in verbally and if he turns on you brace yourself? Really have to be careful when someone is going that nuts as to what his intentions are and how far he would go to make his point
Old 12-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Default I can’t make full judgment.

What actually made this man snap? Of coarse he must have a bit of resentment for other cultures but was there a build up to what happened?
What happened the the guy earlier in the day? Did his wife leave him did someone ding his new car? Did someone cut him off on the road and give him the bird?
There is probably more to this mans anger than just a cashier making a mistake and him having a disdain for interjecting mans race.
I can say I’ve had bad days and then add shopping on top of it and kaboom.
I hate shopping.
It doesn’t show what he said to the white cashier lady in the video it just picks up where the other man comes into the scene and gets shoved for grabbing the guy while trying to intervene.
He shouldn’t have said what he said and will be punished for it but the other guy probably shouldn’t have grabbed him and kept some distance.
You never touch someone while trying to de-escalate a situation.
Plus then after the shove the interjecting man tells the angry guy he’s lucky which sounded like some kind of threat and that’s when the angry guy calls him a bomb technician.
Things probably would have cooled off if buddy didn’t intervene and escalate the situation.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
What actually made this man snap? Of coarse he must have a bit of resentment for other cultures but was there a build up to what happened?
What happened the the guy earlier in the day? Did his wife leave him did someone ding his new car? Did someone cut him off on the road and give him the bird?
There is probably more to this mans anger than just a cashier making a mistake and him having a disdain for interjecting mans race.
I hate shopping.
It doesn’t show what he said to the white cashier lady in the video it just picks up where the other man comes into the scene and gets shoved for grabbing the guy while trying to intervene.
He shouldn’t have said what he said and will be punished for it but the other guy probably shouldn’t have grabbed him and kept some distance.
Plus then after the shove the interjecting man tells the angry guy he’s lucky which sounded like some kind of threat and that’s when the angry guy calls him a bomb technician.
Things probably would have cooled off if buddy didn’t intervene and escalate the situation.
I would have placed myself between the gentleman and cashier and in my non confrontational way, would have asked if he was having a bad day that could explain his behavior. I’m confident that kind of intervention would have calmed him and given him the opportunity to vent.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I would have placed myself between the gentleman and cashier and in my non confrontational way, would have asked if he was having a bad day that could explain his behavior. I’m confident that kind of intervention would have calmed him and given him the opportunity to vent.
I always start with are you OK sir and keep some distance. Then occupie his mind by asking him questions about what’s bothering him and try to understand why he’s so angry. If you don’t understand what’s going on it’s harder to control the situation.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
The 'Bystander Effect' has been around for thousands of years, going back even farther than the biblical story about The Good Samaritan.
It's not about society 'now', it's about society 'always' ... sadly, it's part of the human condition.

Bystander Effect; https://www.google.ca/search?source=...90.BbTLBo6FG7k
Videos; https://www.google.ca/search?q=bysta...w=1681&bih=859

Selkirk
One thing I advocate is getting involved when safe all the time. When not safe it is a tough call. Many good Samaritans have been killed in escalating situations. Some of them had kids. Difusing is always better.

I had a situation on a ctrain a few years back. A skin head 50 year old hardened nut job guy started threatening a Chinese guy. Probably had twice the weight on the Chinese guy who was probably in his 50's.

I did intervene by hitting the help button and engaging protective services and alerting the guy that authorities were called. He made his way to a door but wanted a piece of me. I stayed put and he got off and took off.

It could of gone bad. Had he been carrying a weapon it could of been a widow with kids.

Yes. I get involved. But even a Good Samaritan needs to ensure he/she has a safe place or know the risks and know how to fight.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I hate shopping.
One's bad day is no excuse for bad behaviour. If anyone takes there problems out on others they need professional help right away. Failure to deal with anger and stress can make some do bad things.

Those bad things can include actions that put you in prison.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:39 PM

Default I think you missed my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
One's bad day is no excuse for bad behaviour. If anyone takes there problems out on others they need professional help right away. Failure to deal with anger and stress can make some do bad things.

Those bad things can include actions that put you in prison.
Yes I said he shouldn’t have done what he did.
My other point is that the other man should not have escalated the anger by grabbing him before the shove and then threatening him after the shove.
This did not help in any way.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Banned

That man is a bully, period. He picked on a cashier who's just trying to earn a living even at modest wages, and it escalated from there due to his behavior. I have no sympathy for that man.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:04 PM

As a hunter, I know that I am liable if I worry, pursue, or harass wildlife out of season. In comparison, there is no season on fellow mankind. Those that violate, pay, and everyone knows, or is learning, that social media ups the penalty.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Yes I said he shouldn’t have done what he did.
My other point is that the other man should not have escalated the anger by grabbing him before the shove and then threatening him after the shove.
This did not help in any way.
Sorry. I did read it wrong. Yes...never escalate. Never ends well.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
What is more important, free speech or people’s feelings?

I haven’t watched the video but barring the guy overtly threatening violence I don’t think there should be charges in relation to his words. Shoving etc obviously will result in charges.
Why are people under the impression there is free speech in Canada? Free speech is a completely American concept. You can and will be held accountable for the things you say.

From Wikipedia.
Quote:
Freedom of speech in Canada is not absolute; Section 1 of the Charter allows the government to pass laws that limit free expression so long as the limits are reasonable and can be justified in a free and democratic society.[1][2] This can often be the subject of controversy as some feel the conditions for reasonable justification are vague, granting the government an unreasonable amount of control over freedom of speech. Others feel that such restrictions are necessary in order to balance the fundamental freedoms of one party against those of another, and to otherwise limit political violence and tyranny of the majority. Hate speech (which refers to the advocacy and incitement of genocide or violence against a particular defined racial, ethnic, gender, sexual, religious or other identifiable group),[3][4] and obscenity (a broad term referring to literature that is unreasonable, dangerous or intensely inappropriate to society at large, such as child pornography or fraudulent medication intended to promote sexual virility),[5] are two examples that gain significant attention from the media and in public discourse.[
Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

First of all there are only three human races on this planet. OK may be four as IIRC jury is still out about Polynesians. There is NO such RACE as middle-eastern or Eastern Indian, etc which were invented recently. As far as I'm concerned they are the same race as me or this guy in the video. Go check out books on biology if you don't believe me. So the 'racism' point is completely mute here as it is in 95%+ cases of 'racism' we hear about nowadays. Second, if this guy charged with assault or whatever - perfectly fine; if so called hate (speech?) charges are at play that would me whole different story as I strongly opposed silencing anyone, especially silencing morons of any kind and degree since it makes them 'silent morons' - the most dangerous variety. It also stinks to high heaven of late Soviet Union and alike. Yes I still remember the stench to unmistakably recognize it miles away. Third, if you are hurt by the mere fact there always will be someone hating you for who you are - grow up or find another planet.

Last edited by V_1; 12-30-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

It is what it is. At least the other customer wasn’t punched in a violent manor for touching the person in question.

https://youtu.be/oqwzuiSy9y0
Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 PM

You can’t call someone a bomb making MF and hide behind free speech
Old 12-30-2017, 10:20 PM

Default This is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Why are people under the impression there is free speech in Canada? Free speech is a completely American concept. You can and will be held accountable for the things you say.

From Wikipedia.
As Canadians we do not have rights, everything is written so vague in our charter of rights that it can be construed any which way but Sunday. Anything can be over written by our government at any time for any reason.
We do not have the right to free speech.
We do not have the right of self preservation.
We do not have the right to personal property.
We do not have the right to hunt or fish.
We do not have the right to happiness or well being.
We do not have the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
And most of all we do not have a right to firearm ownership.
In Canada 🇨🇦 we in all truth have no rights.
That’s just the way it is.
And no matter how much we want rights we will never have them.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 PM

I imagine more than one person was interviewed by police before charges were laid, maybe this guy is just a racist bully ******* who's confrontational power trip was caught on camera and now he's paying for it. All the posts looking for any reason to excuse his behaviour are quite sad and likely because you see these tendencies in yourself, no rationale person sees it the way you do.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
You can’t call someone a bomb making MF and hide behind free speech
Especially when a can of beans just bounced off your head....not once but a few times....sleep it off, a little headache might change perspective on acceptable conduct in a public place.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I always start with are you OK sir and keep some distance. Then occupie his mind by asking him questions about what’s bothering him and try to understand why he’s so angry. If you don’t understand what’s going on it’s harder to control the situation.
Good point, I can see where a chap like the one in the video just wanted to talk over his issues in front of the counter. Chaps like that are generally pretty receptive to inquiries about their relationship with their wife or if someone dinged their car in the parking lot. Understanding those things are the behind their racist rant makes it so much easier to deal with. Might be good to ask if he has been drinking or on drugs...you know, dealing with drunks is pretty predictable, but druggie highs require a different strategy.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 PM

Default Yes it is a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Good point, I can see where a chap like the one in the video just wanted to talk over his issues in front of the counter. Chaps like that are generally pretty receptive to inquiries about their relationship with their wife or if someone dinged their car in the parking lot. Understanding those things are the behind their racist rant makes it so much easier to deal with. Might be good to ask if he has been drinking or on drugs...you know, dealing with drunks is pretty predictable, but druggie highs require a different strategy.
You never do know how any given situation is going to end but if you get a person talking no matter what their beliefs are you would be surprised how calm people can become. Just never put your hand on them. Never good.

Last edited by BuckCuller; 12-30-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Closed Thread