Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
And this right here is why quads will never be street legal... this is also why the small towns that tolerate the minimal and responsible use of ATV's are starting to crack down... a big thank you from all the responsible ATV owners that get lumped in with people like you.
Exactly, it only takes a few irresponsible operators like that to ruin things for everyone.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You missed it completely.
Road maintenance equipment is exactly that - equipment used to maintain roads , to excavate, move dirt or snow, etc., not bus over to the grocery store or go for a rip along a boulevard.
If a company had a plow on a quad or SXS with proper lighting etc I do not know if a municipality would issue a permit or not.
I know of a person who had a lawn maintenance company and had a permit to run his riding mower on the streets in town, but I think he needed to get the permit before they allowed him to do that.
Cat
No I did not miss it. I realize what the equipment does. Much of that equipment does a bit of work here and there, then "roads" to its next job. The very reason why Cat sells a wheeled excavator actually. Not a rubber-tired backhoe, an actual wheeled excavator. My point is a county grader can spend more time roading than actually working on a given day. So if this equipment can run up and down roads without proper "on-highway" equipment how does, like you said, a quad with a plow not meet the same requirements? Why can I drive a Steiger tractor into town and fill it with fuel, but my snowmobile is a no-no? A JCB Fast-trac can do 60MPH. It was quite funny when I used to run them down the Lewvan in Regina and pass people in a full size farm tractor. (speed limit was 70km/h if I remember correctly) You should see some of the looks people gave you! That is OK? This equipment works and travels on our highways yet it does not meet DOT standards in some cases. If that equipment can do it there is no reason other exceptions could be made. Why can a self-propelled snowblower drive on your sidewalk but not your quad and plow?

The problem lies in the fact that so many idiots on quads would be raising cane, not in the actual use of quads on the roads. If farmers had all driven tractors to the leg to protest bill-6 and clogged up the City of Edmonton day after day, they would be trying to outlaw tractors on our roads right now too.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Outfit your SXS with legal lighting, get it plated and insured for the road. Until then, SXS's and quads have no place on public highways. They are no different than someone driving an uninsured, unlicenced truck.
But my sxs is insured, registered, and I am licensed. If all I needed was tires, lights, and a horn it could be outfitted in an afternoon.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
But my sxs is insured, registered, and I am licensed. If all I needed was tires, lights, and a horn it could be outfitted in an afternoon.
Correct me if I am wrong, is it not registered and insured for off highway use only?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, is it not registered and insured for off highway use only?
Not too sure what the actual wording is. But if it were never allowed on a public road why should I need registration. Insurance I can almost understand. Registration though is just a tax grab.

Like I said if its insured, registered and I'm licensed I will mount signal lights.

Seeing as how the insurance is for liability purposes only. If I drove it off my driveway and hit my neighbors vehicle with it, I bet my insurance would pay to have my neighbors van repaired. I can't say for sure but I would bet it would be paid out.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
It should be legal, so there would be no need to sneak around like some sort of criminal.
Should do the same for B&E and armed robbery.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Gone Fishing

OK I confess ....... I DO drive my quad on the street but......ONLY to plow out our cul de sac and a few neighbours driveways.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Not too sure what the actual wording is. But if it were never allowed on a public road why should I need registration. Insurance I can almost understand. Registration though is just a tax grab.

Like I said if its insured, registered and I'm licensed I will mount signal lights.
Most off toys like quads and dirtbikes VIN numbers are registered for offroad use only. There are exceptions like come of the KTM 4 strokes are dual purpose. I agree, offroad registration is another tax grab but its better than the ticket.

Here is a link to the legal stuff.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_319.pdf
Old 01-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Banned

Default Remember this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4258014/
Justice officials in Alberta have dropped a ticket issued to a Good Samaritan who used his ATV to plow snow off a city sidewalk.

Jon Cooper, a 62-year-old chiropractor, had attached a plow to his quad to clear the path outside his office in St. Albert, north of Edmonton, on Jan. 8, 2011.

He had been plowing the same walk, a route regularly used by seniors living in nearby complexes, for the past nine years.

He got stuck in the snow and his son Dan Cooper pulled up in his truck to help his father out.

RCMP got involved because using an ATV on a city street is prohibited. The situation escalated into a scuffle with the officers.

When it was over, the father was given a $250 fine and the son was charged with two counts of obstructing a peace officer. Those charges were also stayed in court earlier this week.

Pretty sure the problem arises when insurance is needed. If you're not insured for road use you could be on the hook for a lot of headaches.

Frankly, as long as you're not being a giant douche (like those guys without mufflers on their trucks or ricer cars etc), then I got no problem with it. Just be respectful. Always boils down to being respectful of others. Town I grew up in had a bylaw that you could ride your sled in town if you were taking the most direct route out of town. Seems like a common sense thing to me.

And there are some towns in Alberta where I see quads at the grocery store etc all the time.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
OK I confess ....... I DO drive my quad on the street but......ONLY to plow out our cul de sac and a few neighbours driveways.
That used to be a very common thing in the city that I lived in for 35 years, however if bylaw sees you doing it now, they will ticket you. They have even ticketed people that used the back lane to run their atv/snowmobile on or off of the trailer, so that they could trailer their atv/snowmobile out of the city. As soon as the atv/snowmobile leaves your property, they will ticket you, if they see it.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 PM

Horns and signal lights are easy to mount if that is all that is required. Helmet mandatory.

Registration is looked after already if you want to drive on public land.

Not sure what exactly my insurance covers to be honest but perhaps they need to have an off-road cheaper policy, and an undoubtedly more expensive on road policy option.

The solution would be to ban them on highways.

No more dangerous than a motorcycle (and yes, I have been riding bikes for 30 years now).

The toughest nut to crack would be operator licensing. To drive a bike you need a motorcycle license - what do you need license-wise to drive a quad or sxs?