Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Canmore

We usually go to Jasper for a week in January, this year I think we are going to head to Canmore/Banff. Any tips or advice, good restaurants etc greatly appreciated.

We have one extremely experienced skier, a four year old that has 2 seasons of learning and me, I can basically get down most runs, sometimes I'm even still standing.

Any other activities or things to see or do in the area?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
We usually go to Jasper for a week in January, this year I think we are going to head to Canmore/Banff. Any tips or advice, good restaurants etc greatly appreciated.

We have one extremely experienced skier, a four year old that has 2 seasons of learning and me, I can basically get down most runs, sometimes I'm even still standing.

Any other activities or things to see or do in the area?
If you have the time you need to check out Johnsons canyon its amazing. Short walk through the canyon along the way there is two water falls which look cool at winter time. The walk is faily easy as they have build it mostly out of metal grating and rails.

You access it just past Banff from Canmore turn right and head up into the mountain, cant miss it there are signs all the way.

As well a nice drive up to lake minnewanka which is just across from banff town site you turn right instead of left at the first entrance into banff from canmore
Old 01-10-2016, 11:56 AM

we stayed at the best western and it was good the kids liked the waterslides and pool and ate at a Brazilian bbq place that was super pricey and not good we were the only ones in there at supper time and should have taken that as a hint but it had great reviews on trip adviser so thought wed give it a shot.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 PM

Last time we went to Banff, we stayed at the a Tunnel Mountain Lodge. We got a sale and it worked out to $70 per night for a one bedroom. Wasn't the best, but it was very quite and affordable.

Top of my list for banff eating places is the sleeping buffalo. The Charcuterie board was fun and the Caribou was good. Also went back for a breakfast - they did a really good French toast with Banana bread. We also had a good steak night at the Elk and Oarsman.

Food at Saint James Gate was terrible when we ate there. Grizzly house was fun to try the fondue experience, but we felt it was overpriced. Had to stop at subway before we went back to the hotel too.

Johnson canyon is well worth looking at. We did the snowy owl sled tour in Canmore and would do it again. For skiing, sunshine is our favorite in the area.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 PM

ski sunshine
eat at magpie and stump,rose and crown
breakfast at mount royal hotel
its easier to stay right in Banff if you like going out on the town at night
Old 01-10-2016, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 PM

Default Canmore

Farmer: I live here so feel free to PM with any specific questions you may have. Ray
Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 PM

I thought the Salt Lick was a bit overpriced and service was a bit lacking in Banff, but there are some great little places for breakfast just off the main tourist trap streets.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM

Aroma mexican restruant on main street in canmore is a good family reatruant and the prices are comparable to any place else in town.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:08 PM

Nakiska in K-country is a good learning hill, but not too exciting for the experienced skier. I wasn't a fan of Norquay, eastern style of hill. Sunshine and Louise are both good, but my favourite is Louise. Longer drive but better terrain for the experienced skier and still decent for the others.

Canmore has lots of good places to stay. No shortage of hotels or condos there. For restaurants. Favorite pub/restaurant is grizzly paw. For Pizza there is the flatbread (artisan style pizza's wood oven. very busy).

If you are a xc skier, there is the nordic centre on the hillside above town and further up that road there are the mount shark trails. At the end of the same road is peter lougheed, but no need to go that far for great xc skiing.

If you get up to lake louise for a couple of days, there is skating on the lake. Pond hockey there is very Canadiana.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:51 PM

If you are looking for some awesome upscale pub food the Iron Goat is the best place in town. It's a good family restaurant is probably our favorite place in Canmore, I recommend the Chipotle duck wings. Another local place is the Trough always busy and the food is great. If you are looking for something fancy Rustica up at Sliver Tip Gof Course is really good and by far the best view in canmore. It's about $35-$55 a plate but you got lots of food and it was real good. Hope these help. Seriously though go try Iron Goat.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Banned

The Drake in Canmore has some really good food and they are kid friendly until 9pm. The Grizzly Paw I think it's called is also good and just down the street from the Drake. Basically the only restaurant that was really bad, and I mean almost ruin our night bad, was the Spaghetti Factory in Banff.

Mt Norquay has a tubing hill. Go down the hill in the old Semi truck tubes basically. It's pretty fun.
The Hot Springs always make me feel good.
Cave and Basin is a pretty cool place to visit.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 AM

Always have enjoyed Athena pizza, good eats after a ski day.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 AM

The Iron Goat is very good for families. For a family Italian place with home-made pasta and great made-from-scratch pizza, try Santa Lucia on Canmore's main street. The Flat-Bread Co. is also popular with families - they have a kiddies playground inside - that's a big hang-out for Canmore's uber-fit super-moms and their snot-gobblers.

Take an early morning drive up to Spray Lakes for great views and you're almost guaranteed to see some moose.

Dog sledding is fantastic, but somewhat expensive - you can watch from the dam on Spray Lakes. I'd recommend Snowy Owl kennels.

Wapiti Sports will take you ice fishing on the Spray Lakes. Hut, equipment and guide provided. 1/2 or full day. Great folks. See their website for info.

Visit the Nordic Centre on the way back - great X-country ski trails for novice to expert and rental equip available. Very reasonable prices.

Bring your skates - the 'pond' (2 blocks off downtown) is well maintained and very popular with families - free & very kid friendly. Fun to watch even if you're not skating.

If you're 'birders', bring your binos and walk the riverside trail, or the Policeman's Creek trail - starting at both ends of downtown. We often grab a Subway downtown and eat it on a bench near 'the engine bridge' along the river.

If there's been a heavy snowfall, listen/watch for the helicopter the next day above the Nordic Centre, bombing EORR (Eastern End Of Rundle Ridge) to bring down avalanches threatening the Spray Lakes Road. Fantastic avalanches visible from anywhere in town.

Take a drive through east Canmore close to down-town at dusk and count the famous bunnies! We counted 123 in one outing a few years ago!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 PM

Guys, Thanks again for all the info, looks like we are heading down in 2 weeks and now have lots of restaurants and sites to check out.

Cheers.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:42 PM

One more.

If you're there Jan 29 or 30th, the Silver Dragon in Banff is having their annual Chinese New Years Food Buffet going. $28/adult, $15 child 5-10 yrs.

Best Chinese food in the valley.