Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Default Moose, deer, etc.. Warning other drivers

How many people here turn there flashers on to warn on coming traffic that animals are on or close to the road ?

I do for a mile or two then turn them off. Have had it done for me and I find it is a good warning. Saved me a couple times from hitting them.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 AM

same here....
Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 AM

The flashers us a great idea. Where I grew up people just flashed their lights to warn people. I still that, it is standard in northern BC I believe as I was there a few months ago and numerous people flashed their llights and iI would shortly pass a moose, bison or sheep.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:27 PM

I usually flash my hi low beams for animal and radar warnings. Trying to recoup some of the karma I burnt up.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Flash my lights

Old 01-06-2016, 12:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I flash

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I flash
It must have been you that scared the jeepers out of the wife
Cat
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Only works if the other party knows what you're trying to tell them. I flash my lights at people who don't dim their high beams.

Grizz
Old 01-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Default Flasher

The way I see it, if someone flashed their bright`s at me its a warning that there is something ahead that requires caution on my part. This maybe radar, an accident or a hazard on the road.ie animals.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
How many people here turn there flashers on to warn on coming traffic that animals are on or close to the road ?

I do for a mile or two then turn them off. Have had it done for me and I find it is a good warning. Saved me a couple times from hitting them.
All the time. I hope when someone see's them flashing, they clue in that something up that way is in need of my full attention.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM

I find more and more people don't have a clue of why you are doing it.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
THIS!

SO frustrating! What's even more annoying is with most vehicles, you can't even turn your lights off. All you can do is flash your high beams, which most people don't even notice in the daytime.

It used to be: Flash your lights on and off=either a cop, or something on the road ahead.
Flash your high beams at someone="turn your highs off, you idiot!"

And if someone was driving around with their taillights off (as in DRL's on only) then you could easily flash your lights off and on and they would get it...but being able to only flash your highs at them, they think you're some lunatic trying to run them off the road.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
And if someone was driving around with their taillights off (as in DRL's on only) then you could easily flash your lights off and on and they would get it.
No, they don't. Nearly every morning I end up behind someone with no lights. They pay no attention to any kind of signal (headlight flash or highbeams). The Police could derive significant revenue from this issue alone on 14 St SW in Calgary. But the only place I ever see them at 7:30 in the morning is at Tim Horton's.

I will flash high beams for a copper or a road hazard.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-06-2016, 09:46 PM

flash the high beams to warn oncoming traffic.
A few pulses of the break lights to warn anyone behind me.

If anyone picks up on this I don't know but I fee like I tried to warn them.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 AM

When someone flashes me with brights, I interpete that with my lights are on high beem or are too bright. I use my flashers as that signals a danger or caution.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Too busy texting

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 AM

I usually flash my high beams and then tap the break pedal after they go by, hoping they get it
Old 01-07-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
THIS!

SO frustrating! What's even more annoying is with most vehicles, you can't even turn your lights off. All you can do is flash your high beams, which most people don't even notice in the daytime.

It used to be: Flash your lights on and off=either a cop, or something on the road ahead.

And if someone was driving around with their taillights off (as in DRL's on only) then you could easily flash your lights off and on and they would get it...but being able to only flash your highs at them, they think you're some lunatic trying to run them off the road.
I've slowed down for an obvious Wildlife hazard, only to have people pass me.

Grizz
Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
No, they don't. Nearly every morning I end up behind someone with no lights. They pay no attention to any kind of signal (headlight flash or highbeams). The Police could derive significant revenue from this issue alone on 14 St SW in Calgary. But the only place I ever see them at 7:30 in the morning is at Tim Horton's.

I will flash high beams for a copper or a road hazard.
Frustrating isn't it? And dangerous. The absolute worst is when it's raining/snowing and just at that transitioning light (early evening/early morning). Without tailights or marker lights they're almost invisible.

For the life of me, I don't understand why car manufacturers have the dash lights come on with the DRL's. The driver is oblivious to the fact his regular lights (taillights) aren't on.
Either have the entire lights on all the time or at least keep dash lights off until you turn the lights on.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Banned

Recently slowed down on a local busy stretch of highway at night , could see large herd of elk on right side of highway, a few started onto the travelled part of road, I TURNED ON MY 4 WAY FLASHERS, And started flashing head lights,to oncoming traffic, the Herd was now in full charge across the highway, there was about 60 to 80 elk in estimation, well sure as hell the moron 3 vehicles behind me pulls out, puts the pedal of his super duty Diesel to the floor and rockets past me doing Mach1 , I had slowed to maybe 60 kph, there is an explosion of disfigured light beams, steam and chaos, the truck spins wildly and comes to rest upside down in the ditch , there are wounded and dead elk all over, the herd now circles in confusion as the lead cow must have been one of the dead elk,

Result,
1 dead F350 Diesel
3 dead elk
Several injured elk
Highway shut down for several hours
Idiot driver went to hospital , nothing too serious, he was still stupid after some minor surgery,as he was before surgery

Driver Got ticket for driving too fast for road conditions
And the idiot went shopping for new truck,

Moral of the story, you can't help an idiot !

Last edited by elkdump; 01-07-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
THIS!

Reminds me of a thread about an experience a couple of years back. Chick was a mixture of oblivious and astute, she paid enough attention to get a plate #, but couldn't for the life of her figure out why she was being signaled:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ate+flashlight

That being said, just last week I had a little ray of hope when I saw one such driver without their running lights on getting pulled over by CPS, I'd never witnessed that before. Ironically though, twice in the week following I witnessed two CPS patrol cars (the new black & whites) driving at night with no headlights or marking lights whatsoever .... I guess they get fancier switch options in their dashboards

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-07-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Frustrating isn't it? And dangerous. The absolute worst is when it's raining/snowing and just at that transitioning light (early evening/early morning). Without tailights or marker lights they're almost invisible.

For the life of me, I don't understand why car manufacturers have the dash lights come on with the DRL's. The driver is oblivious to the fact his regular lights (taillights) aren't on.
Either have the entire lights on all the time or at least keep dash lights off until you turn the lights on.
It truly don't understand how/why people don't understand this , then again , I guess that i do. ( DHAC ) people ... Don't/Doesn't have a Clue

Years ago , you would refer one as being " Daft " , I'd like to bring that up to date , and now coin the term " DHAC " , " what a DHAC ! ,
Old 01-07-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Reminds me of a thread about an experience a couple of years back. Chick was a mixture of oblivious and astute, she paid enough attention to get a plate #, but couldn't for the life of her figure out why she was being signaled:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ate+flashlight
First thread I ever read on AO , Thought this Caber guy was a good one , clued into the world ... unlike the lady he was trying to help .
Old 01-07-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
THIS!

You can still turn modern headlights off with the emergency brake, even just activating it by one "click" is enough and that won't actually apply the brake.

Disclaimer: Use some "common" sense and test this while stopped before trying it at highway speeds.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Frustrating isn't it? And dangerous.
I drive an '07, and dash lights don't come on unless the headlights are on. That being said, the first thing I do after igniting the engine, is to turn on the lights. Conditions don't matter.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
You can still turn modern headlights off with the emergency brake, even just activating it by one "click" is enough and that won't actually apply the brake.

Disclaimer: Use some "common" sense and test this while stopped before trying it at highway speeds.
Not my 2012 E250 Work van, nor our '06 Suburban 2500. Emergency brake on, lights still on. Theres no way to turn them off while driving.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post

Didn't work in my 02 or 11 chevs and gmc. Did work in my 96 but not in many new vehicles made in the last decade or so.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I drive an '07, and dash lights don't come on unless the headlights are on. That being said, the first thing I do after igniting the engine, is to turn on the lights. Conditions don't matter.
That's the way it should be with all cars that have DRL's. At least that might clue people in their headlights are off. Unfortunately a lot of the newer cars have the dash lights on without the headlights. I don't know how this is...dash lights come on with a sensor? Dash lights on all the time? Dunno, but every night I see some clueless idiot driving down the deerfoot without tail and marker lights, dim drl's on, and when I pull up beside them, the dash lights are fully lit. Might as well give them the option to turn their brake lights off with a switch too!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Didn't work in my 02 or 11 chevs and gmc. Did work in my 96 but not in many new vehicles made in the last decade or so.
I noticed that as well with some of the newer vehicles - the DRL would turn off only if you had the emergency brake applied when starting the vehicle.

In older vehicles, the DRL would turn off any time you had the emergency brake applied.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 AM

Vehicle makers might as well make it so the tail lights come on as well when the car starts. Nothing more frustrating to see no tail lights on in the dark, the snow storm etc and driver is clueless to the fact because they see their dash and headlights on. I will turn my lights on and off to many cars from behind, maybe 1 out of 10 clue in and turn on their lights. Most give you the ole stink eye when you roll up beside. Had a friend do this, the woman rolled down her window at the next light and tried to rip him a new one. When he said, hey i was just trying to let you know your lights were off, it's dark. She looked real embarrassed and rolled up the window.