Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Default places to go hiking during this time of year

A friend and I are looking for a place west of Calgary that we could spend a day hiking and eating lunch in k country. I am not sure what's open this time of year so I was wondering if anyone had an insight on something in the Bragg creek, Cochrane, turner valley area. Any help is welcomed. thanks,
Old 03-24-2014, 09:21 AM

I would imagine snowshoes would still be in order.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Was out the on March 15 on the quad in Mclean Creek, still plenty of snow in that part of our west country.

A few days before that, I was shed hunting in the foothills between Calgary and Millarville, not much snow left out there.

If you want to stay away from the snow, head to the rain shadow of Exshaw. Always very little snow accumulations in that area and some good hikes, Yamnuska is one of them.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:05 PM

in a couple days my wife is going south of Calgary, more specifiacllly ..to canyonlands in Utah for a 10 day hike..

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM

The shoulder of Yamnuska is a popular early season hike. That said, the last couple upslope storms have deposited some snow in the area. It looked pretty white as I went by this weekend. If we get a week of spring-like weather, it should be reasonably hikeable without snowshoes, at least to where you swing around to the back side (then it suddenly becomes winter again; you should have appropriate avalanche gear/training to go further). At the crack of spring, the ticks will be out in full force on the warm south facing slopes. Check your various crevices when you get back to the car.

HK
Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Gone Fishing

Not in K country, but Mountain Aire Lodge area sees very low snow accumulations and should be worth checking out.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 PM

Default Day Hike?

Depending on how long you hope to go for will decide where you go. And lot's of trails haven't been re-opened since the flood as they still need repairs.

I really enjoy hiking and biking the Barrier lake/ Jewel Pass Loop. It's roughly 20km and beautiful. Not overly strenuous but that may be different if there is enough snow to justify snow shoes. Be careful on some of the rock near the lookouts as they will be slippery. It was closed last year and even though it hasn't been officially re-opened I was informed by one of the Kananaskis rescue team that it is passable and signage is still in place.

http://hikealberta.com/hike/jewell-p...r-lake-lookout

Let me know if you go!