Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Default Honda civic wheel bearings

Take the Grandsons 2011 Civic to the dealer for some maintainence and they come back and are suggesting right front and rear wheel bearings are making a noise after the mech. took it for a drive. 200K on the odo. Easy fix for only 1K Now I am not a mech. but I nor my Grandson can hear anything. I am told by a mech bud that it should sound not like a squeel but more of a whoosing noise. Neither sound can be detected by us.

Should I be concerned or as I am thinking I could be a target for a make work mechanic. Anyone have problems with the wheel bearings in their or any friends Honda Civic?
Old 09-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
...to the dealer ...
Here's your clue.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:22 PM

I'm not a mechanic either, so take this as you will. But did you take it for a ride and listen or did you jack it up, spin the tire and listen. Its obviously easier to hear if you've got the car lifted on a hoist and are just spinning the tire.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:47 PM

You will hear it at 80k will sound like helicopter above you swerve side to side and pitch will change. Very few can be heard with wheels off ground due to no load on bearing. Surprised all 4 at once. May only be one front and maybe one rear. We change probably 200 in our shop a year and have never seen all 4 go at once
Old 09-16-2018, 02:31 PM

Not a Honda but a Jeep Cherokee. The vehicle would make a low level grinding sound on a left hand curve at 100 kmh. Jacked up the front end and one wheel had a bit of play more than the other. That was a few years ago. If that happened to me now, I would take it for a drive and check out the front hubs with a laser thermometer.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Very few can be heard with wheels off ground due to no load on bearing.
Then they've still got some life left in them!

Didn't know that, good info.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:59 PM

Get a second opinion, wheel bearings are can make some strange noises.

I've had them make clicking noises , growling, happens from 20kph and up. They could be loose as well. Shake the tire and feel for movement, should be none. I've had some that no play but you could spin the wheel by hand and tell.

If I'm dealing with a noise or vibration that may be a bearing it's a road test to verify, put on hoist and try to pinpoint with a stethoscope. Sometimes need chassis ears, electronic sensors that transmit sound if you can't find it on the hoist. Sometimes only make noise under road conditions.

May be getting noise transfer as well in the rear, one bearing is bad but the noise can also be heard on the other side. That is design dependant, some vehicles will do it and others won't.

No time limit on how long a bearing will last. I've replace a few that the vehicles have been under 5000km. Not a regular occurrence but can happen.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:59 PM

If you or the grandson are handy at wrenching they are surprisingly easy to do yourself, Honda's are very well engineered and are almost a pleasure to work on.

Could make for some quality bonding time with the grandson as well and you could save a lot of money. The bearings themselves are not expensive at all.

A grand sounds really steep, I would check a few independent shops you should be able to get that done for a LOT less.

But if you can't hear them I would keep on driving it, when they go they can get REALLY loud.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

If it hasn’t been said yet check how much play is in the wheel by rocking it while having it jacked up. I’ve had bearings that make no noise but are loose and worn out.