Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Stove Jack placement

As you know I am looking for a 8x10 wall tent for 1 person. The tent from Capital Canvas Wall Tents has an 8x10x5 for $725 and the stove jack is on the side wall. Do you see any problems or reason for not buying a tent with a stove jack on the side as opposed to the roof. Keep in mind this tent will not be used much.
On a side note would you add a stove jack kit to a 70's or 80's (not sure) canvas cabin tent, pole kit is on the outside of the tent from Woods. I have no idea if it is fire retardant.
If this could be done it would sure save a bunch of money.
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 PM

Out the side is more weather resistant but more difficult to assemble as you need elbows and possible a support . End of chimney should be above the ridge of the tent to help prevent down draft . On the roof is easy no supports or elbows needed and easy to get above ridge.

You should have no problem installing a stove jack on any canvas tent . And it can be fire treated after.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Out the side is more weather resistant but more difficult to assemble as you need elbows and possible a support . End of chimney should be above the ridge of the tent to help prevent down draft . On the roof is easy no supports or elbows needed and easy to get above ridge.

You should have no problem installing a stove jack on any canvas tent . And it can be fire treated after.
Where ca I find this treatment?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:41 PM

Try edmonton tent and awning
Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 PM

Thank you.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Where ca I find this treatment?
All wall tents have to be sold with a fire retardant applied. Campers Village had to recall a batch of theirs for that reaon.

Grizz
Old 08-25-2018, 08:06 AM

Run the pipe with a proper stove hole jack sewn into the roof (silicon ring). All Fab in Edmonton can do this for you.

Fire retardant doesn't mean fire proof. Spark will smoulder but not catch the whole tent on fire. As mentioned earlier have enuff pipe to go past ridgeline of tent.

We found spraying a canvas tent roof with waterepellant like Rez (Canadian Tire) helpful to avoid snow melt or rain / water leaks
Old 08-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

One would think if it came out the side and was above the wall height there should be less sparks landing on the roof, just guessing though. I have a 10x10 with a side hole but never had a stove in it, good luck with your search
Old 08-25-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
One would think if it came out the side and was above the wall height there should be less sparks landing on the roof, just guessing though. I have a 10x10 with a side hole but never had a stove in it, good luck with your search
This is true. Look at all of the customer pics on the Deluxe Wall Tents page and see how many stovejacks are on the roof instead of out the side. https://www.deluxewalltents.com/customer-pictures/
Old 08-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
This is true. Look at all of the customer pics on the Deluxe Wall Tents page and see how many stovejacks are on the roof instead of out the side. https://www.deluxewalltents.com/customer-pictures/
The three I had from deluxe where ut the side as well
Old 08-25-2018, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I have decided to in a completely different direction.
I will add a stove to my cargo trailer.