Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Homemade Tools

I'm doing some renovations and will be needing to cut some 10' long composite material for a countertop, being that the 1.25" thick 5' x 10' composite sheet is both expensive and also about 340lbs I wasn't about to run it over my tablesaw. I decided on a track saw for the task, but my Scottish frugality kicked in and didn't think that a $600+ tool for a single non-billable personal use was particularly prudent.

I picked up some 3/4" aluminum track intended for use in making table saw sleds from Lee Valley Tools and selected a suitable spacing for the two tracks that allowed them to fit on the shoe of my 8.25" worm drive Skilsaw. I figured being as the plywood track would eat up a bit of potential cutting depth I would use my 8.25" saw rather than a 7.25" unit.

I mounted the tracks to the shoe of the saw by using other extruded aluminum as spacers off of the blade, clamping things in place and then drilling the mounting screws kept things parallel.

I bought two sheets of nice maple plywood and set them up on a work table, I set them to be perfectly parallel by using a combination square as a depth stop when aligning them and allowed that the saw would be trimming off the edge of the guide to make a zero clearance cutting edge, setting the edge of that guide exactly where I want the cut allows for great accuracy. The slots were routed in using a 3/4" bit while the router was guided by the adjacent sheet of plywood. Anyhow now I can cut 8' sheet goods perfectly straight, I'll be making a 36" extension for the thing in short order.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Banned

Good job Norm
BTW have you managed to figure out how to say drawer yet?

Seriously, great hack.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 PM

For about 12" of the run the routed tracks must have veered ever so slightly and the saw was much more difficult to push through, a few passes with some sandpaper over a straight edge helped smooth things out.

Never been to the Massachusetts area, nor picked up the accent
Old 08-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Never been to the Massachusetts area, nor picked up the accent
Ya, but I bet you could build an Olympic sized swimming pool in a linen closet.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Nice jig. I see that saw cable though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Yeah, that patch was how I bought it used off Kijiji, you should see the old plug end I replaced on it about an hour before the pic was taken! I'll be amending that cord though, the saw was a great deal for what it is. If you'll note the router cord while we're at it, only the strain relief is compromised, the rest is A-OK.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Nice,

I have built and still use a variety of tools and attachments for tools.

Maybe a thread showing home solutions such as yours might be a good thread. I'd start one but I'm about out of time, I need to leave for Fort McMurray within the hour.

There might be something others have built that an AO member might be able to build and solve a problem they are having. Or perhaps it might inspire someone to use one others ideas, with alterations to do something entirely different.

I think it cold be very interesting

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 08-23-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:00 PM

I use a piece of 1/4x3” aluminum, screwed onto the edge of a 14” strip of plywood. Run your skill saw against the aluminum and rip off the edge of the plywood. Place that edge where you want to cut a straight line and go nuts.

Way cheaper than a commercial cutting jig.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

Looks like somebody got the cord in the way of the blade. Had a guy do that to me once with a brand new saw. Mad doesn't say it.

Grizz
Old 08-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Yeah, that patch was how I bought it used off Kijiji, you should see the old plug end I replaced on it about an hour before the pic was taken! I'll be amending that cord though, the saw was a great deal for what it is. If you'll note the router cord while we're at it, only the strain relief is compromised, the rest is A-OK.
Oh yes, the old "it was like that when I got it" excuse eh?
Old 08-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Looks like somebody got the cord in the way of the blade. Had a guy do that to me once with a brand new saw. Mad doesn't say it.

Grizz
There's a reason that for tools like that I prefer to buy cordless.... Kinda hard to cut the battery while it's in the saw... lol