Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2018, 05:53 PM

Default Bringing firearms back to Canada from US

There have been a few posts on here about the requirements to take firearms to the US, and I’ve gotten the permits through the ATF, but I’m wondering about bringing them back. Do i just need to show my PAL at the border and they’ll let me through? Or is there some other document that i need to show that my guns originated in Canada and I’m not importing any of them?
I’d heard that it’s a pain in the butt to import firearms, so how else would i prove that they originated here? Or is that even a concern at the border?
Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 PM

http://www.international.gc.ca/contr....aspx?lang=eng

Check this link out, half way down the page is the paper work/ forms for temporary export from Canada. This paper work should get you back in just fine. I am sure others with more experience than I will speak up
Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 PM

Default Temporary firearms export

For the past years all I have used is the form Y38 now called BSF407
As Rottie said there is a form for temporary export of firearms I will have to check it out with the port I cross at
Old 04-27-2018, 10:30 PM

I have brought a 30-30 and an 870 into alberta with no problem but last year I tried to bring my custom 30-06 an I declared it on the American side and the american border agent told me I need to go on line and fill out this form. I explained to him I did this at the border berfore.Nope. Complete *******. He told me if I took the gun across the border My truck could be confiscated. I then chequed my gun at the saloon and when I went back across the border their werre tw0 agents that pulled me into secondary. The Americans narced me out.

Bobby
Old 04-27-2018, 11:37 PM

Things have changed a bit over the last several years; I'd go with whatever was officially documented today and get a printout of it and all on-line instructions for it. And even though an individual guard can make his own call on something serious, they are not always correct or consistent either.

I remember being called on an importation form at a crossing by a US border guard once which I actually had received by mail from the US Embassy. He said it couldn't exist because it was the wrong color for that sort of form. After a bit of back-and-forth, he told me to stand back, then disappeared to talk to someone for 10 minutes. He came back in a sour mood and essentially told me to get the hell through.

Long time later on the Cdn side I got a set of questions which clearly showed the US and Cdn agents were exchanging information between their 2 different DROS computer systems too.

All sorts of data is floating around out there on everybody these days, and dollars to doughnuts the NSA has nearly everything CSIS has on their files.