Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Default any one in construction?

I need some advice/ help what is the process for developing my basement? What kind of permits do I need? Inspections? I’m in Calgary

Looking for a plumber and an electrician if any one is or knows one that’s looking for some work I have a 1000sqf basement that needs developing I think I have a framer buddy that’s going to come and help me lay it out and build the walls and drops but I don’t know any one from the trades here. any help would be great.
I know I could go through the yellow pages to find em’ but I would like to pass the work on to some fellow outdoorsmen.

Thanks

cohod
Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM

if you are just renoing your basement, you need a building permit. If no ground disturbance, then you don't need a development permit.
Call permitpro and they will set up a inspection usually before the walls are put up, (but it can also be done after).
Your electrician and plumber will pull their own permit (to be submitted to permitpro), if they are good and known sometimes they dont even need an inspection done.

cover your butt and keep a holdback until all the permits are in and approved. Lots of shabby contractors out there.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM
50BMG

Here is some handy info for you . If you have any code questions feel free to pm me and I will do the best I can to help. I am a Safety Codes Officer (building).

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/...evelopment.pdf

and for other reno's click here

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....al+Permits.htm

Last edited by 50BMG; 07-02-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM

i'd love to do some side work cause im an electrician.

Too bad you're in calgary.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM

Good luck cohod! These days in Calgary, most contractors are too busy to even look at a basement reno! If ya can find a way to get some of these guys to hit it on the 'side', you will have some sucess (expect to pay cash).

I can hook you up with a cheap and fantastic general/finish carpenter and probably a good electriction. I however cannot give any permit advice. That is 50's area. PM me if this helps.

Tree
Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 PM

also make sure your ventalation system is not impeeded. Please add another return air and also a few more supply air ducts would definitley improve things, also increase your fan speed.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM

And if you get a permit, count on the tax assesor to drop by.
Grizz
Old 07-03-2007, 05:46 AM
-NDN-

my father is in the top ranks of Electricians in Alberta, and is qualified to mark the Master Electrician tests. He's currently doing Electrical inspections until he retires, and makes or breaks alot of dreams. Give me a PM of what info you need, and i will send it in a email to him if you would like. Maybe add a contact number and you guys can chit chat. Just hope he doesnt give me crap, lol

He eats breaths and sleeps electricity, which explains his big lack of getting in the outdoors He's not in Calgary, but NE of Edmonton, and Grumpy
Old 07-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated…as soon as I read through all this permit stuff I will be in touch

cohod
Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Default layout

Once you start planning the layout, take some masking tape, measure out the rooms, and tape the "walls" and doorway locations on the floor. Leave it there for a week, walk around, and you'll see if you'll be happy with the layout. (no walking "through" walls) Plan on changing it at least twice before you're happy with it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Hey coho, cant help you with the beutification part, but if ya need something wrecked to make way for the new...............you know where to find me!!!!!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:28 PM

thanks for the offer pac

cohod
Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM

Default reno

Save some money and pull a homeowners electrical permit. You can then hire an apprentice electrician to give you enough tips to easily pass the inspection.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
Save some money and pull a homeowners electrical permit. You can then hire an apprentice electrician to give you enough tips to easily pass the inspection.
great advice!

thank you

how do i go about this?

cohod
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Default pemit

try this link;
Old 07-03-2007, 03:11 PM

great

thanks again

cohod