Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
I couldn't think of one reason someone would beat on my head with a statement like you posted. Heck, I didn't even remember posting in this topic !
So I went back to see....and it turns out I did the copy/paste of an article I had seen that is related to the topic.
What I believe is NOT posted anywhere on this forum: I keep those thoughts to myself.
You should proof read (and think) before you hit the post button attacking anyone.
Reeves, my apologies for assuming what you posted was what you actually believe. Though it seems that most people write what they think or believe, obviously certain people post things they know nothing about (or in fact have no thoughts of their own). What I posted was not an attack on you since you apparently did not even think about your posting. However, posting this kind of nonsense does nothing but provide proof of the ignorance and denial surrounding this issue, and by posting it you are associating yourself with the minority of people who choose to ignore the obvious.

Just to be clear, I always think about what I post before it ends up here. Perhaps you could consider a little independent and critical thought before posting useless "facts" of others, or maybe even try to come up with some on your own.

Again, I did not intend an attack on you. This is a very important issue which affects all of us (and especially our children), and people furthering the idea that global warming doesn't exist are just making the problem worse.

B
Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Reeves....great post. I enjoyed it greatly. Thank you for sharing it.

Bruce....speaking only for myself, I somewhat agree that the climate is warming and things are changing. That part is difficult to deny. However, what I do dispute is the EXTENT that man is supposedly causing this change versus the natural living cycle of a planet in releation to its Sun and the Sun's natural living cycle.

Pollution is indeed a bad thing and innovative ways need to be found to reduce it without shattering our economy and way of life (koyoto).

Tree
Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
the EXTENT that man is supposedly causing this change versus the natural living cycle of a planet
It's man alone making changes. Think about it !
Each person radiates a temp of appox 100f. So it is the humans & critters that feed us bipeds causing the problem.
We need an 80% reduction of people & feed critters & wa-la, no more problems !

Old 06-30-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
On the issue of electrical power from BC to AB, two points I am not sure of and the first is that there is a powerline "owned" by Calgary Power from Sparwood, BC, up the Elk Valley over the Kananaskis Summit into AB. Is this a "tie line" and if so, there must be more than one.

In 1965 and 1967, I was stationed at Fernie with the BCFS and in '67, I lived for two months in the BCFS cabin at Britt Creek in the Elk Valley and we repaired bridges, culverts, etc. on this road, known as the Calgary Power Road. I spent my 21st birthday swinging a "Pulaski" on that summit, when I would rather have been home in Nelson, drinking beer!

In 2005, I went back for the first time and much was changed, but, that huge, ugly powerline was still there as was the old log cabin at Tobermory. Most of these have been burned by the BCFS since the '70s, too bad, as they are a piece of our heritage.

BC now imports power due to over-use and rapid population growth, so, I doubt that much will be sold to AB; the power we generate is needed here and even more will be necessary. I would prefer to send BC power to AB instead of the USA, but, the terms of the Columbia River Treaty may affect this situation, to Canada's detriment.
Kute:
I'll repost what Blarney found for all of us to read;
And here's a tid bit from the link Dick provided.
Import/Export Overview
Transmission access is required for parties wishing to arrange for electricity imports or exports to or from adjacent jurisdictions. The Alberta Interconnected Electric System (AIES) has transmission interconnections or inter-ties with both British Columbia (0 to 750 megawatts) and Saskatchewan (0 to 150 megawatts). Typical interconnection transfer capabilities vary within the ranges above depending on system load and real-time operating conditions.

This power line is a steel tower transmission line operating at 500,000 Volts.
As stated it has a maximum capacity of 750 Mega Watts. To put this in perspective it takes roughly 100 Mega Watts to provide power for 55,000 residential homes.
It also might be worth noting that the BC tie line is'nt very old something in the order of maybe 10 years, probably more like 7 but I cant find a refrence of the date of commisioning. So I suspect the line you talk of was not the BC tie line, probably a feeder line from one of the Hydro plants TransAlta(formerly Calgary Power) has close to the BC border.

At any rate a common theme resounds in this whole argument. That being the lack of hard and verifieable statistics and facts. Also misconceptions as to how the whole scheme of the electrical grid and how it operates.

Fact is Alberta needs more genersation really fast in the order of at least 1000 Mega Watts in the next 10 years. This is exasperated by the fact that a lot of the current coal and gas fired generation in Alberta is going to be heavily penalized beacuse there is no way much of it has any hope of making the emmision standards as layed out by the Province.
The demand for the electricity is growning and with the demands on generation being almost peaked out right now, guess what?
I think we are going to see some real hard ships hit us in a lot of ways. Brown/black outs like California saw a few years back may become reality, large capital projects may get cancelled, which will result in job losses.( my opinion)
So I beg to ask.
What sort of hard ships are Albertans willing to endure to see these emission targets be met?

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 06-30-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Dick284, thank you for sharing your experience! I for one did not realize the extent of this pending crisis. What can you share in regards to nuclear power? Is that the path we, as a province must seriously consider? IMHO, I feel it is.

Tree
Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 AM

It's a tough call on the nuke issue. Again another emotionally frought topic.
I'm only sharing knowledge in areas that I have any experience in. That being knowledge of todays electrical business.

There are no absolutes