Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Wasp Stings Suck, but does their bite

I was stung and bit by a bald faced hornet (not a hornet) multiple times recently, because they are *******s that hate brush saws. It was without a doubt the most painful sting I have had and I get stung every year by yellowjackets often by a few at a time. With the diameter of a tennis ball it felt like a second degree burn that was covered in mosquito bites that had hives. Now I have a hole where the ******* bit me. So the question to the wealth of knowledge that is this forum.
Is the bite of a wasp poisonous?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:51 PM

There is a difference between a wasp sting and a wasp bite. I don't know which is which, but after watching wasps gnaw the edges off of my mahogany tomato stakes I have no doubt a bite would hurt like hell. A wasps sting would be poisonous, it's what causes the immense pain. If you are worried about the hole in your arm, I don't really know, but if it was a thing I'm sure we would know about it, like we do black widows and rattlesnakes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
There is a difference between a wasp sting and a wasp bite. I don't know which is which, but after watching wasps gnaw the edges off of my mahogany tomato stakes I have no doubt a bite would hurt like hell. A wasps sting would be poisonous, it's what causes the immense pain. If you are worried about the hole in your arm, I don't really know, but if it was a thing I'm sure we would know about it, like we do black widows and rattlesnakes.
Not worried about it, just interested. I had a spider bite in Gibsons years ago that did something similar with the skin necrotizing around the wound. Ants oft times have poisonous bites so why not a related species? Any search about bites bring returns for stings. I watched him sting me in an arc as he held on while I batted at him. The swelling and pain tells me it is poisonous and a different kind than their sting.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:46 PM

I think bald faced hornets are the same as black jackets. This is the second year I have seen them at my place.
I have experienced multiple bites or stings from wasps as well as yellow jackets. Sometimes I react and sometimes I don't. It always hurts!
The only thing I have observed about these bald faced hornets is that they seem to get aggravated very quick. I run into them every day when I fill my bird baths. I don't want to know how they bite or sting.
The good thing I have read about bald faced hornets is that they will kill other hornets.
I have read that multiple wasp bites can be fatal but it my understanding that fatal stings are life threatening very fast. The fact that you are posting your question means that you will probably survive.
Once when I was in Manitoba I got bit on the side of my leg by something and I did not notice it for a while. It started to itch and then get hot and then swell and my leg was the size of a small pumpkin when I went to the Snow Lake Hospital. They gave me a shot of something and released me. In the morning the swelling was gone but the itch was still there.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Banned

Yes their bite sucks also.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=Jays toyz;3596236]Not worried about it, just interested. I had a spider bite in Gibsons years ago that did something similar with the skin necrotizing around the wound. Ants oft times have poisonous bites so why not a related species? Any search about bites bring returns for stings. I watched him sting me in an arc as he held on while I batted at him. The swelling and pain tells me it is poisonous and a different kind than their sting.[/QUOTE]

If you think it is more than a usual sting it may be wise to have it checked by a doctor.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 PM

If you think it is more than a usual sting it may be wise to have it checked by a doctor.[/QUOTE]

I am not concerned. Just interested.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 PM

People can get more sensitive to bites after the first one. Deadly results for some people and Epipens are carried for safety.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 PM

I'm used to being stung by honeybees, they still hurt but the reaction is far less than someone who isn't getting stung all the time. If I get stung by a wasp or hornet then it's bad for me because it's a new and different type of venom. The bite mark is just a missing piece of skin and the venom from the sting is probably what is causing the pain. Wasps and hornets have bitten a piece out of me before and not stung and it never affected me like a sting does, although they often do both at the same time.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:08 PM

Just to clarify...

A poison must be inhaled, ingested, or delivered via touch, while venom is injected into a wound.

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 08-02-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:57 PM

this is going to pisoff the anti's, but the absolute best 100% effective way I have found to completely destroy a hornet nest is with a drone. Hover close wipe off later. WOW do they hate those swinging machete's!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-02-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
this is going to pisoff the anti's, but the absolute best 100% effective way I have found to completely destroy a hornet nest is with a drone. Hover close wipe off later. WOW do they hate those swinging machete's!
This post is pure gold...one of your best.
What a great way to get rid of a nusiance nest but to blender them in air to air combat.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I think you have found a new business.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:44 AM

You could have an infection from what ever that dirty bugger has on his rear end when he stung you.
My wife needed antibiotics for a sting last year.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I would love to see a video of that. It sounds awesome.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Well then the wasps and I have something in common
Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Love it. Up till now I always thought lighting the nest on fire and using a pressure washer to blow their wings off as they attack was good fun, yours would be outstanding to watch.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoppa85 View Post
I would love to see a video of that. It sounds awesome.
You're welcome.

https://youtu.be/rQnnw8ZV4vY
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
8 hours

Look like fun but I have completely killed and removed nests that size in minutes
Old 08-03-2017, 10:12 AM

Not bald faced wasps but totally killed and removed this nest in about 10 minutes. Half hour if you count organizing and dressing for the occasion.

https://s4.postimg.org/c0l8m4q6l/004.jpg

Old 08-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Video of this or it never happened lol.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM

I wasnt aware a wasp bites humans so I went on Google and searched a number of sites and everyone confirmed they do not bite humans only sting them and can sting you multiple times unlike a honey bee,. They will bite ( and eat) their food sources mainly other insects. So you are dealing with stings
I have had a couple run ins with bald faced hornets ( actually a wasp) and they are the meanest critters out there with the most painful sting I have experienced. The last was a couple yrs ago setting up a treestand and I planted my ladder right into a nest. I was 30 yds in bush and those little bu**ers chased me out of woods and further 10 yds into field where my truck was parked and even into the truck where they continued stinging until I killed them. I think I had 9 stings and had huge red welts for over a week
Old 08-03-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
I wasnt aware a wasp bites humans so I went on Google and searched a number of sites and everyone confirmed they do not bite humans only sting them and can sting you multiple times unlike a honey bee,. They will bite ( and eat) their food sources mainly other insects. So you are dealing with stings
I have had a couple run ins with bald faced hornets ( actually a wasp) and they are the meanest critters out there with the most painful sting I have experienced. The last was a couple yrs ago setting up a treestand and I planted my ladder right into a nest. I was 30 yds in bush and those little bu**ers chased me out of woods and further 10 yds into field where my truck was parked and even into the truck where they continued stinging until I killed them. I think I had 9 stings and had huge red welts for over a week
I watched him, while biting me, sting me in an arc. Yellowjackets have also occasionally bit in their complete dickishness..
Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I laughed pretty hard at this one ......

I could just imagine what that might sound like as wasp meets the blade.

Like a string trimmer hitting some weeds ....... lmfao
Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 AM

It's that time of year again , today i was pruning a weeping birch tree and got a hornet sting on the hand then a few seconds later i see one coming for my face , stung me a bit below the eye and was gone quicker than you can imagine . So i quickly go into the house heat up half a cup of water in the microwave and dip a facecloth in the hot water and hold it against the sting area to neutralize the venom , hot as you can stand keep dipping it for 15 mins , it seemed to have reduced the swelling on my face somewhat , I didn't do my hand as much with the hot water and it is swollen and stiff . Just lucky it didn't get my eyeball , it was really quick , no landing on you , it must have stung me and bounced off in a milli-second .

I killed them all this evening in the dark with hornet spray .
Old 07-10-2018, 02:18 AM

It's an old school remedy Laundry blueing the little crystals you add to white loads wrapped in a cloth, wet and dabbed on the sting will remove the burn.

B.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 AM

One of the guys at work found this on an engine he was working on, apparently from the southern US. Glad we don't have these up here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desert wasp.jpg (147.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 AM
Banned

I found this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

Apparently they can spit venom in your eyes and cause temporary blindness!

They are the nastiest bug we got in these parts, and they get huge. I watched one hunting at my cabin once. It would fly in, go right to the window where there were flies and wasps trying to get out. He would kill the fly or wasp then fly out the door with it, then 15 minutes later it would be back to grab another one. It was amazing how he knew the difference between the door and the window.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
That would be something to see...

We came across a hornets nest on the ground at Wessex during one of the pointer parties years ago and removed it with both barrels of an 20 gauge O/U . It did a thorough job.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
One of the guys at work found this on an engine he was working on, apparently from the southern US. Glad we don't have these up here.
Looks like a tarantula hawk. They like to paralyze tarantulas and use them as a food source for their spawn.