Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 12:07 PM

Default looking for tips on training a bird dog my self

I have a lab pup I am thinking of training for ducks and geese I don't have the money to pay for training so I am looking for some pointers on how to do it myself.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2016, 12:20 PM

There are a couple of really good books. Water Dog by Richard Wolters and Training your Retreiver by James Lambfree. If you invest the time and effort to follow these books, apply some common sense to the difference in your dogs temperament and learning style, and train religiously at least 5 out of 7 days, you can turn out a very good hunting dog.

Lambfree is a very old book, 60 vintage, very basic and a good starting place. Wolters is more modern and goes further in its training.

There are a couple of retriever clubs in the Edm area. Working with guys that have done this before and that train for Field trials will speed your learning a lot. PM Pixel Shooter. He is heavy duty into training dogs and trialing.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:40 PM

Smile Good advice!

Join the club and train with someone who knows what they are doing, you will be amazed at the results.

Welcome to the disease!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are a couple of really good books. Water Dog by Richard Wolters and Training your Retreiver by James Lambfree. If you invest the time and effort to follow these books, apply some common sense to the difference in your dogs temperament and learning style, and train religiously at least 5 out of 7 days, you can turn out a very good hunting dog.

Lambfree is a very old book, 60 vintage, very basic and a good starting place. Wolters is more modern and goes further in its training.

There are a couple of retriever clubs in the Edm area. Working with guys that have done this before and that train for Field trials will speed your learning a lot. PM Pixel Shooter. He is heavy duty into training dogs and trialing.

X's two, I started with Lambfree's book with my 1st Lab, but later switched to Wolters when it came out and prefer his methods. But conact some field trial clubs in your area, they will be a valuable source of information & guidace. That was how I learnt the most. Where do you live? If you are around Calgary let me know. S M
Old 01-11-2016, 02:42 PM

There are actually a few DVD programs out there that will show you how to train step by step right from pup to a fully trained retriever. They are a little pricy but worth it. Check out:

Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy
Or
Smartwork by Evan Graham

Also, joining a retriever club can put you in touch with some good retriever folks that can help you along the way. Not sure where you are located but Calgary has the Wild Rose Hunting Retriever Club and Edmonton has the Alberta Clipper Hunting Retriever Association. Either club is worth checking into.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:44 PM

What clubs help with training around Didsbury Calgary... I too have a young "potential" bird dog I want to work on getting bird trained.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:19 PM

The Wild Rose Hunting Retriever Club is based in Calgary.
http://www.wrhrc.com

Nobody is there to train your dog for you. But you may find somebody or a group that can help you with training your own dog.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:43 PM

Default Bird dog

I trained a springer spaniel many years ago using a book. The most important thing I found out that no matter what method you used you had to be repiticous and constant.Any variation you could notice and would have to correct. It was a long and yet enjoyable exsperience and I had a great dog. It was hard work! Piker
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 PM

Tip 1... Obedience is key. It also is mandatory. Don't move to the next step until the dog can do the step you are on.

Be patient. Pups can be trying at times. Remember that the bond you are making will last for the pups entire life. Do it right.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Good advice so far ill just add no birds, no bird dog.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:12 PM

One thing I will add that goes contrary to a lot of current thinking. I want my dog to work for the love of it and its love of pleasing me. Never use treats as an incentive, use pats and praise and never physically discipline a dog unless it is doing something truly dangerous to it or others.

For most failure to obey, stop the training, put the dog away and ignore it for 30 minutes. Take him back out and treat him like nothing happened. Go back to training the same skill no sooner than 2 hours after the last refusal. Make sure the dog understands what you want and do not get frustrated, they don't really speak English.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Tip 1... Obedience is key. It also is mandatory. Don't move to the next step until the dog can do the step you are on.

Be patient. Pups can be trying at times. Remember that the bond you are making will last for the pups entire life. Do it right.
Good advice , keep your commands short & concise, if a dog isn't under control in the field it is worse than useless & you won't have any fun.
Having said that don't be too hard on your pup, make your sessions short .I also always end up with some unrestricted fun.
My pup is going on 7 now and she still looks forward to her fun session at the end of her workout.
Also all dogs have the odd bad day where they are not into it.I shut the session down if my dog isn't up to par, no sense getting upset. (as long as it is rare). I am sure I could count all the times todate on one hand for my current girl.