Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 AM
Banned

Default Thoughts on new vehicle protection packages? Worth it or waste of money?

Refering to the packages that the dealers push that cover all sorts of things like door dings, leather and upholstery protection, scatches, paint damage, undercoat and corrosion, just to name the ones that are on this brochure. Very similiar to the plans offered by FCPP (First Canadian Protection Products), but apparently this dealer is licensed in house, so they can do it I guess. Being told regular price is $1800, but they will do it for $1200, gee thanks. Just want to know overall thoughts on this sort of coverage or product and if it is a worth it. Also, pretty sure I am going to get the 3M protection done, which is seperate from this, any other opinions on that product, and where you would recomend getting covered as packages do vary? I've spend $48K on a 2014 so I would like to keep it looking as good as possible, but want to avoid wasting money on something that is useless or pointless if that is the case. Thanks for you input.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 AM

Don't buy anything extra from the dealer. These protection packages are big money makers and ask your self if you will ever get 1200 bucks of value. Take care of your vehicle and keep the money. When you buy a car accept the fact your gonna get dings, scrapes, and scratches.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:07 AM

don't do it at the dealer, if want something done take it speciality shop
Old 03-23-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
don't do it at the dealer, if want something done take it speciality shop
x2
Just because they are licensed in-house does not mean that they won't put some newb on the job.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Personally I wouldn't but then again I can take a brand new pickup and turn it into a $5000-$7500 truck in 5-6 years just from the kilometres driven. They still look good but not many want to buy a used pickup with 450,000 K
Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM

Don't spend any extra money at the dealer. They love people who spend money on that crap. Almost pure profit. Take your time and find a jobber to do the job if you must have it done. A lot of this can be done by yourself for few dollars. In ten years or less it will be a piece of scrap metal no matter what you do unless you don't use it in the winter months.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 AM

I bought a 2014 last fall. I got paint protection film put on by "The Tint Factory" in Edmonton for less than the dealership wanted. When I told the dealer I wasn't interested in their 3M Paint Protection, Extended Warranty or the Undercoating etc then the deals came out. Ended up getting the extended warranty and the Protection Package for the cost of just the more expensive of the two (can't remember the price). So in the end got everything but at much less that the dealer originally would have charged me. (Dodge Ram bought at Capitol Jeep in Edmonton)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 AM

Default Dealers

X wife worked at a stealership sold those packages.

Pure rip off for the buyer. She got nearly a 40 percent commission of them 15 years ago and the dealer ship still made money at that.

You can do way better sourcing those services on you own if you want them.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 AM

Lemme see: you had a 4runner thread a while back, then Sherwood park so from my experience that means they asked if you want the package they sell which is a first Canadian package.

I've installed and applied these products.

Paint protect, if you got black, get it. If you got white, get it. Any other colour, forget it.

Fabric/leather protect, if you have kids, it's not bad but it's not as good as they said. If you put a cloth down under the seats, it'd be better.

Under coat in a province where it takes three times as long for vehicles to rust out as it does in a coastal area is a ridiculous waste of money. Are you moving east or west with this vehicle? Planning on selling it to anyone from there? Nope? Move along. Same with the rust protection in the doors and hood.

Rust module - cannot begin to describe in negative terms this battery drain.

Did Sherwood park buy into the Toyota brand plastic coating application or were they on board with 3m before hand? If it's the 3m one, I'd say sure. The Only advantage here is that they've already washed the vehicle and will warranty without question damage caused by poor application. At that point, I doubt you'd have anyone going, "well it was misapplied so we don't have to cover _______" under warranty.

So, in rundown, depending on colour, paint protect, fabric/leather protect is a "meh" and clear tape is only if it's 3m

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Just bought a new truck and looked at all those things pretty good. I ended up just going with the front paint protection. I went to a place on the south side of Edmonton called Proform Auto Tint, he doesnt do much of the retail side rather then goes to the dealerships and applys his product there but will acomidate if you call him. He exllained to me the difference between the different films that are on the market. I went with one he called Premium Shield, apparently better then 3m. Its self healing (he scuffed up a small piece and then applied a heat gun to it as if to simulate the sun and the scratches vanished). Aswell as a really decent price, $140 for the front hood and that was for the front 13" of the hood. The best price I could find with alot of research.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Where are you located? Check out Auto Protectors in Calgary. They are great people to deal with.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
Lemme see: you had a 4runner thread a while back, then Sherwood park so from my experience that means they asked if you want the package they sell which is a first Canadian package.

I've installed and applied these products.

Paint protect, if you got black, get it. If you got white, get it. Any other colour, forget it.

Fabric/leather protect, if you have kids, it's not bad but it's not as good as they said. If you put a cloth down under the seats, it'd be better.

Under coat in a province where it takes three times as long for vehicles to rust out as it does in a coastal area is a ridiculous waste of money. Are you moving east or west with this vehicle? Planning on selling it to anyone from there? Nope? Move along. Same with the rust protection in the doors and hood.

Rust module - cannot begin to describe in negative terms this battery drain.

Did Sherwood park buy into the Toyota brand plastic coating application or were they on board with 3m before hand? If it's the 3m one, I'd say sure. The Only advantage here is that they've already washed the vehicle and will warranty without question damage caused by poor application. At that point, I doubt you'd have anyone going, "well it was misapplied so we don't have to cover _______" under warranty.

So, in rundown, depending on colour, paint protect, fabric/leather protect is a "meh" and clear tape is only if it's 3m
Yep, Four Runner, Sherwood Park and they push the First Canadian Package, you're 3 for 3! So what else can you tell me, I'll try and answer any questions you asked in return.

I did buy in white, well off white, Pearl Storm or some cheezy name for the color, because it is the Limited model it didn't come in plain white. So I am assuimg in that the pain protection would be a good idea?

It does have leather, I got the brown tone leather they were offering this year, so likely a good idea to get some protection on that, though I likely won't be doing it through the dealer unless there really is no difference? I am putting in the Weathertech floor mats so I'm not all that worried about the upholstory protection that any of the packages offer.

So no to the undercoat and rust module then? lol

They told me that they use the 3M product, but they price it pretty high, pretty sure I could source that out at any specialty place for far less. Was doing a looking research today and someone recommended and alternative product called Xpell so I will look into that.

Sooo, go with the pain protect, leather protect and a 3M or similar product from a specialty place and not the dealer seems to be the common advice here? Thanks, appreciate the feedback and feel free to comment with some more. Cheers
Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

Default Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Where are you located? Check out Auto Protectors in Calgary. They are great people to deal with.
Ya, I found them on the net last night prior to reading your post, I will look into them. Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Banned

Default Ming

Anyone have experiences with Ming treatment? Is it just a wax shine, or a product similar to 3M? Thanks for any info.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 PM

check out martinson signs and graphics in calgary. mark is a good buddy of mine and one of the best installers in calgary. his car is always wrapped in wicked decals. he did a lot of vinyl on my car.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
check out martinson signs and graphics in calgary. mark is a good buddy of mine and one of the best installers in calgary. his car is always wrapped in wicked decals. he did a lot of vinyl on my car.
I don't see me putting decals on this, as much as I would like to see my wifes face if the new vehicle I bought her came home with a full body camo wrap! lol
Old 03-23-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
I don't see me putting decals on this, as much as I would like to see my wifes face if the new vehicle I bought her came home with a full body camo wrap! lol
they do rock guard.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM

As a ex body man, best thing you can buy is the rust proofing. Get it done at Ming or Zebart type stores. Todays cars have great clear coats, Specialty wax just pays for someone's vacation. Upholstery comes scotch guarded I believe. Items that save paint, mud flaps and clear tape on the leading paint edges such as your hood and front fenders. You can also clear tape your head lights and fog lamps. They don't get sandblasted and pitted.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 AM

when I test drove my wife's '13 Tuscon I was shocked at how loud the road noise was esp with the low profile Faulken tires, when they offered the rubberized under body coating I said she could get it to maybe quite the ride a bit and I think it did. When we went back to pick it up 2 days later during the pre-delivery inspection I noticed over-spray of the coating on all 4 alum wheels (also found a big chip in the paint on the A-pillar), it was 4:30pm and the service guys had left so they wanted me to leave it so they could fix it tomorrow, made a big deal about wasting my time and I need the car now, ended up getting the coating for free, they made enough money off a new car sale.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM

if they really want to make the deal, get them to throw it in.....if you want it.(my 4yr old wanted the emoticon in)

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Banned

Many dealers make more money on the extra than on the sale of the new car.

How do I know? Used to work for a dealership consulting company which installed software all over North America to help sell the extras. I trained the "business managers" how to use it.

Undercoating in many cases will void the manufacturers rust warranty. Toyota's for sure, and there may be others. The rational is that if not applied absolutely correctly, moisture will get trapped under the coating and hasten rusting. As the factory can not control the quality, they can and will deny coverage.

Your local friendly sales staff will either deny or not know about this.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM

A good friend of mine owns a GM dealership. When buying my last truck from him he volunteered the info to me to not buy any of the extra's, undercoating etc In his words he said I didn't even offer them to you because all they are is a dealer money grab and not worth the money you'll pay. I've had new vehicles for 38 years now and can't ever recall when I would have needed to claim any of these. I wouldn't get it
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Personally I wouldn't but then again I can take a brand new pickup and turn it into a $5000-$7500 truck in 5-6 years just from the kilometres driven. They still look good but not many want to buy a used pickup with 450,000 K
That's a lot of round trips to Willow Ck.