Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Default building costs

I am considering building a house on some land we bought and am wondering if any on here have a rough Idea of costs per sq ft . The last time I did this back in the early 90s i built a 1400sq ft bungalow with wood basement for around $70.000. This time i am thinking about maybe 1600 sq ft but no basement. We looked at Modular RTL and I just want to compare the costs. If I do it ,the plan is to do most of the work myself with minimal contract work for electrical and concrete /foundation work.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Double what you were at back then for builder grade now. If you're doing lots of work yourself you can figure $120-$140 sq ft depending on finish. You can obviously go higher than that depending on your mechanical and more executive finishing as well.

If you're having a contractor do the work you're getting bare bone 'builder grade' at about $170 sq ft. Most nicer homes are in the $220+ sq ft finishing. We have done some that are between $350-$400 sq ft as well.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:47 AM

wow! that is shocking . I was thinking $120 sq ft if I contracted but at 170 to 220 that is quadruple considering I did a well and septic and moved in on that price. I realize cost have risen but that is ...
Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 PM

If your looking at bringing down on the cost price out garage packedge for your shell. Done this lots in the last few years last one I built was 7900. That included every thing even the floor plus 10' walls.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
wow! that is shocking . I was thinking $120 sq ft if I contracted but at 170 to 220 that is quadruple considering I did a well and septic and moved in on that price. I realize cost have risen but that is ...
If you are an experienced contractor and know who to hire - and guys are willing to give you good pricing, $140 - $150 is possible with a reasonable level of finish.

Keep in mind most sub trades are not going to give you builder pricing.

If you are not experienced in building a home - the 20% a G.C. would have charged you will quickly be eaten up by sub-trades and suppliers, add in a wreck and your DIY build becomes the project from heck.

That square foot pricing would not include any lot services.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Built a few of houses in the last 5 years and project managed a bunch more. Under $150/ft is tough and will require very close attention to the details and will leave nothing for site servicing and landscaping. We typically start our budgeting in the $200/ft range and access site servicing as a separate budget.

This assumes 100% contractor. My suggestion is price it that way using real quotes for all work separating labor and materials, then take off the labor from the quotes that you intend to do yourself but add back something extra on materials as the contractor likely has better buying power than you will.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:15 PM

We got quoted $200/sqft for no basement, $225/sqft with basement. That was the cheapest custom stick built offer we got so far.

Services (septic system, water, gas, etc.) is not included!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
We got quoted $200/sqft for no basement, $225/sqft with basement. That was the cheapest custom stick built offer we got so far.

Services (septic system, water, gas, etc.) is not included!
That is realistic pricing and in the range we are quoting
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM

I contracted my build 1800sq ft 1 1/2 story stucco, with walk out. 1400sq footprint. I did most of the dumb laybour and all the finishing myself. Was about $165.00 sqft, Including utilities and 20,000 for 2 wood stoves and infloor heat. We're all hard wood and tile. Definatly shopped around,got hardwood interior doors and hardware out of Ohio. Saved me 40% on comparable. Got 5" plank maple flooring from a mill in Ontario. Under 140 sqft can easily be done. If you contract your self and do some laybour your self. Mine would of been just over 140 sqft If I did vinyl siding, and no extra heat sources.

Good luck
Brad
Old 03-23-2014, 10:37 PM

Looking more and more like I will go with a Modular RTL if I am going to do it.At about 200g for 1680 sq ft including everything but the washer and dryer. The acreage already has a well and septic so that is not an issue.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Most contractors will charge you more because you are on an acreage and they have to drive out there and back. Further you get from a city/town, the higher the price. Someone has to pay for the travel time and extra fuel and you can bet it won't be the contractor. I have seen where a contactor wouldn't even quote on a build, he charged by the hour due to the distance away from the city.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 PM

The 200 to 250 range is accurate.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Banned

272 for top of the line in Elbow Valley self build
Old 03-24-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Looking more and more like I will go with a Modular RTL if I am going to do it.At about 200g for 1680 sq ft including everything but the washer and dryer. The acreage already has a well and septic so that is not an issue.
Stay away from igloo prebulit homes......
Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 AM

I built 2 years ago in GP all said and done was about $250/ft. Keep in mind some lenders are shying away from people wanting to be their own general contractors now too due to new home warranty rules etc.. Not sure if that's an issue but food for thought
Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 AM

We are in the process of getting a house built in Cochrane; without the lot and including GST we are about $200 /sqft and it is a semi-estate home and is much higher standard than builder grade.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
Stay away from igloo prebulit homes......
I would argue that 100%, we have had great luck and looking at some options with them right now.

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
We are in the process of getting a house built in Cochrane; without the lot and including GST we are about $200 /sqft and it is a semi-estate home and is much higher standard than builder grade.
Who is your builder? Bungalow or 2 story? Basement?

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 AM

A quarter of a million dollars for a 1250 sqft home at $200/sqft.
Thats a lot of money for spruce studs and concrete.

I guess that is why house prices have been sky-rocketing.

I did high end timber frame homes in late 1990 and the price we used was $250/sqft finished. I wonder what a timber frame home would be worth today.